2011 Compass Headlight Conversion - Jeep Compass Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 132 Old 04-18-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BlackNightling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Snarkansas
Posts: 176
 
Garage
Talking 2011 Compass Headlight Conversion

I know this probably shouldn't even appear on this site yet since the 2011 is so new and there is nothing out on it yet (the local dealership doesn't even have a catalog on aftermarket parts or anything yet).

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that the new 2011 Jeep Compass and 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee headlights look exactly the same?....

Would it be possible to snag the projector headlights from a Grand Cherokee and put those on the Compass? Could you imagine how it would look with the projector fog lights AND headlights? Not to mention the coolness factor of the lighting at night and custom look since projectors are not even an option on the Compass... Thoughts or insider information anyone?
BlackNightling is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 132 Old 04-22-2011, 01:55 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23
 
Hello.

I'm on the same path as you. Yes, the cherokee HID lamps will bolt right in to the Compass. And yes, the compass headlights are the same ones used on the non-HID cherokees.

The actual lighting is another issue. The headlights do not include all of the extra electrical that goes along with HID. The bulbs, ballasts, and more, are separate. It would be difficult to get all the part #'s with the parts being so new, and expensive.

What I plan on doing is swapping in the cherokee headlights in and then using a cheap HID kit off of Ebay for the bulb/electrical portion.

With the price of these new headlights and a cheap kit off Ebay you're probably looking at $500-$700...

If a 3rd party vendor comes along and makes cheapo hid headlights housings like happens for many vehicles, plus a cheap HID electrical kit, then we'll get away with $150 total but that wouldn't happen for a while.
ohnoesaz is offline  
post #3 of 132 Old 04-22-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BlackNightling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Snarkansas
Posts: 176
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoesaz View Post
Hello.

I'm on the same path as you. Yes, the cherokee HID lamps will bolt right in to the Compass. And yes, the compass headlights are the same ones used on the non-HID cherokees.

The actual lighting is another issue. The headlights do not include all of the extra electrical that goes along with HID. The bulbs, ballasts, and more, are separate. It would be difficult to get all the part #'s with the parts being so new, and expensive.

What I plan on doing is swapping in the cherokee headlights in and then using a cheap HID kit off of Ebay for the bulb/electrical portion.

With the price of these new headlights and a cheap kit off Ebay you're probably looking at $500-$700...

If a 3rd party vendor comes along and makes cheapo hid headlights housings like happens for many vehicles, plus a cheap HID electrical kit, then we'll get away with $150 total but that wouldn't happen for a while.
I am glad that someone else has been thinking the same thing! I used to have a 2004 Ford Focus that I got projector headlights for with the Angel Eyes. I really liked them, they looked cool at night. Hopefully they will come up with something for the Compass soon!

I noticed that those HID headlight housings on MOPAR are over $400 each, but the strange thing is that they also charge more for the Cherokee version of the same headlight than the Compass. If I could just find the housings really cheap then get lights, that would be awesome!

Let me know what else you plan on doing with your Compass style-wise.
BlackNightling is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 132 Old 04-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23
 
Check out these pics of the european compass... HID lights! http://www.europecarnews.com/2011-jeep-compass-images/

So yes, we just need to source the parts as affordable as possible.
ohnoesaz is offline  
post #5 of 132 Old 04-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Member
 
raff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Omagh, Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland
Posts: 66
 
Garage
I must point out that "To increase road safety, the European Commission has decided to introduce dedicated Daytime Running Light (DRL) on all new types of motor vehicles from, 7 February 2011 onwards all new types of passenger cars and small delivery vans will have to be equipped with DRL. On vehicles equipped with Daytime Running Light, this light is automatically switched on when the engine is started. When it is dark the driver has to switch on the driving lights manually. In this case the DRL goes off automatically".
This is usually a row of LED's placed under the headlamp units.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LE...ningLights.jpg
Please see above link.
I think this is what you may be referring to, although I may stand corrected.

Raff.
raff is offline  
post #6 of 132 Old 04-26-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BlackNightling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Snarkansas
Posts: 176
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raff View Post
I must point out that "To increase road safety, the European Commission has decided to introduce dedicated Daytime Running Light (DRL) on all new types of motor vehicles from, 7 February 2011 onwards all new types of passenger cars and small delivery vans will have to be equipped with DRL. On vehicles equipped with Daytime Running Light, this light is automatically switched on when the engine is started. When it is dark the driver has to switch on the driving lights manually. In this case the DRL goes off automatically".
This is usually a row of LED's placed under the headlamp units.
File:LED DaytimeRunningLights.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please see above link.
I think this is what you may be referring to, although I may stand corrected.

Raff.
That is just what I want to add to my Compass.

Jeep Compass 2011 - Jeep Lighting - Universal Lightning Eyes Headlight Kit

I think that would be kick-butt on my black Compass! I would like to get a 20" pair on Ebay and connect them to the parking lights. I found 12" kits at Autozone and Advance Auto Parts, but I want the strip to wrap up around the headlight for a more dramatic affect. I will take pictures if I get the kit and install them.

Yay for aftermarket universal lights and stuff!
BlackNightling is offline  
post #7 of 132 Old 04-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Member
 
raff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Omagh, Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland
Posts: 66
 
Garage
Just googled a set there;
DRL LED light strips 48cm
They're not too expensive. May have to give these some thought.
raff is offline  
post #8 of 132 Old 04-30-2011, 05:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 40
 
I had my eyes on those Grand HID headlights and was thinking the same...the compass would look so awesome with them HIDs.

Anyway, while I'm here, I hope you don't mind me sharing my 2011 Compass with headlights mod a bit. See the the attached pics.

Finally, does anyone know how to disable the lock feature on the Media Center DVD player? That is, you can only watch DVD while the car is parked...is there a way to disable this? Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks,
jav
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1170130.1.jpg (24.2 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg P1170136.1.jpg (15.4 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg P1170143.2.jpg (18.7 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg P1170131.2.jpg (18.5 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by javelin; 04-30-2011 at 05:54 AM.
javelin is offline  
post #9 of 132 Old 05-01-2011, 04:32 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Italy
Posts: 4
 
Garage
So these aren't the Cherokee Headlamps but it's the closest thing I could find as far as HIDs for the Compass. I'm new to this site so I don't think I can post links yet. But here it is.

2011 Jeep Compass Xenon Headlights | Compass HID Kit
spookytootoo is offline  
post #10 of 132 Old 05-01-2011, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BlackNightling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Snarkansas
Posts: 176
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
I had my eyes on those Grand HID headlights and was thinking the same...the compass would look so awesome with them HIDs.

Anyway, while I'm here, I hope you don't mind me sharing my 2011 Compass with headlights mod a bit. See the the attached pics.

Finally, does anyone know how to disable the lock feature on the Media Center DVD player? That is, you can only watch DVD while the car is parked...is there a way to disable this? Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks,
jav
Oh, that is exactly what I want to do with mine, those are awesome! Do tell, what kit did you get, where did you get them, how did you install them (inside housing, outside, etc), and can you post daytime pics? I want the same thing along the bottom and then turn up along the inside of the headlight housing.

Last edited by BlackNightling; 05-01-2011 at 02:01 PM.
BlackNightling is offline  
post #11 of 132 Old 05-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 40
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brawleyman View Post
Oh, that is exactly what I want to do with mine, those are awesome! Do tell, what kit did you get, where did you get them, how did you install them (inside housing, outside, etc), and can you post daytime pics? I want the same thing along the bottom and then turn up along the inside of the headlight housing.
I replaced the low beam with HID kit from carid.com. I got the NOTTO SE with the 5000K color. It is very bright. Be careful when installing this; it comes with capacitor so make sure you get the +/- in order; otherwise, you'll see smoke...like I did but made correction immediately.

The LED strip, I got it from Autozone. I got the white one.

And the LED turn signal, I got from ijdmtoy.com. As regular driving light, the color is Xenon white...but when you activate the turn signal, it alternates between amber and white...it's pretty cool. This one is a little tricky to install...first off, it will not fit directly inside the housing. The LED lamp head is a little too wide to fit inside...I've almost returned it BUT it looked so cool when I tested it , so, I took a gamble by shaving some fat off until it fit...and so, there it is.

I just recently order an HID kit to replace the fog light...should be here next couple of days.

I'll take a daytime pics soon.

jav
javelin is offline  
post #12 of 132 Old 05-01-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BlackNightling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Snarkansas
Posts: 176
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
I replaced the low beam with HID kit from carid.com. I got the NOTTO SE with the 5000K color. It is very bright. Be careful when installing this; it comes with capacitor so make sure you get the +/- in order; otherwise, you'll see smoke...like I did but made correction immediately.

The LED strip, I got it from Autozone. I got the white one.

And the LED turn signal, I got from ijdmtoy.com. As regular driving light, the color is Xenon white...but when you activate the turn signal, it alternates between amber and white...it's pretty cool. This one is a little tricky to install...first off, it will not fit directly inside the housing. The LED lamp head is a little too wide to fit inside...I've almost returned it BUT it looked so cool when I tested it , so, I took a gamble by shaving some fat off until it fit...and so, there it is.

I just recently order an HID kit to replace the fog light...should be here next couple of days.

I'll take a daytime pics soon.

jav
Cool deal! If those are the same as what I think they are, I have seen those at Autozone, but didn't know how bright they would be. It seems like they wouldn't be very bright, but I guess they show up much more with a true 12v connection rather than the little battery or whatever they have in those kits with the test button. I guess those are the Alpena 28" LEDLitz? Alpena/28 in. white colorful LED light (77015) | LED Exterior Accessories | AutoZone.com
I have found 20" pairs on ebay for $16 shipped from the US, they look exactly the same...

Also, how is the beam cutoff with the HID's? I know the Compass has a decent flat cutoff even though they are not projectors. Just curious as to if they would still look good, otherwise, I would probably just get Silverstars.

I have looked around, but haven't found a decent answer for exactly what the light bulb is in the projector fog lights. What is the light or the equivalent to it?

Sorry about all the questions, it just seems like you are on the exact same path as I am for lighting and such and I want to do it right the first time.
BlackNightling is offline  
post #13 of 132 Old 05-02-2011, 05:31 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23
 
Javelin, thanks for sharing. Did you install the LED strip INSIDE the headlight housing or right outside of it?

Also: For the LED that you used for the turn signal/Driving light, did you have to install a resistor to keep it from flashing fast?
ohnoesaz is offline  
post #14 of 132 Old 05-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 40
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brawleyman View Post
Cool deal! If those are the same as what I think they are, I have seen those at Autozone, but didn't know how bright they would be. It seems like they wouldn't be very bright, but I guess they show up much more with a true 12v connection rather than the little battery or whatever they have in those kits with the test button. I guess those are the Alpena 28" LEDLitz? Alpena/28 in. white colorful LED light (77015) | LED Exterior Accessories | AutoZone.com
I have found 20" pairs on ebay for $16 shipped from the US, they look exactly the same...

Also, how is the beam cutoff with the HID's? I know the Compass has a decent flat cutoff even though they are not projectors. Just curious as to if they would still look good, otherwise, I would probably just get Silverstars.

I have looked around, but haven't found a decent answer for exactly what the light bulb is in the projector fog lights. What is the light or the equivalent to it?

Sorry about all the questions, it just seems like you are on the exact same path as I am for lighting and such and I want to do it right the first time.
With the HID you don't see as much cutoff anymore since the light and brightness goes beyond that. I had Silverstar Ultra for 3-days until I got my HID. I'm thinking of keeping the Silverstar as backup but I'll sell it to you at discount... they're good lights...but note it's white but not bright white.

Last edited by javelin; 05-03-2011 at 01:01 AM.
javelin is offline  
post #15 of 132 Old 05-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 40
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoesaz View Post
Javelin, thanks for sharing. Did you install the LED strip INSIDE the headlight housing or right outside of it?

Also: For the LED that you used for the turn signal/Driving light, did you have to install a resistor to keep it from flashing fast?
I installed the LED strip outside the housing. Din't want to break open the housing...

I purchased the resistor with the LED turn signal. Without the resistor, the LED
will flash too fast and your cpu will think its defective and will return a message
in dashboard.

jav
javelin is offline  
post #16 of 132 Old 05-03-2011, 02:58 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23
 
Javelin, thanks for all of that info.

I ordered the same white+amber driving+bturn LEDs and resistors. I'll post some pics up when they're installed.

I also ordered amber LED's and resistors for the tails to "clear" them out since some amber bulb color is still visible stock, so I'll post pics when that arrives too.

About the HID's, honest question: Do people flash you at night?
ohnoesaz is offline  
post #17 of 132 Old 05-03-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BlackNightling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Snarkansas
Posts: 176
 
Garage
Well well well, looks like we are going to have the nicest looking Compass' around here as far as lighting goes! Thanks for all the info Javelin!

I am going to get the 20" white strips for the bottom and inside by the grill of the headlight, and perhaps amber strips along the top for additional turn signals. I am still debating on HID vs Silverstars, I really like the cutoff with the standard halogen, but we will see. Perhaps white LED windshield spray nozzles are also in order?

I did see that there are 12" LED kits on ebay that have the white LED's as well as amber LED's that you could wire up for a turn signal, all on the same strip...

What color is your guys' Compass'?
BlackNightling is offline  
post #18 of 132 Old 05-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 40
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoesaz View Post
Javelin, thanks for all of that info.

I ordered the same white+amber driving+bturn LEDs and resistors. I'll post some pics up when they're installed.

I also ordered amber LED's and resistors for the tails to "clear" them out since some amber bulb color is still visible stock, so I'll post pics when that arrives too.

About the HID's, honest question: Do people flash you at night?
As I mentioned from my previous post, the turn signal LED bulb will NOT fit into the housing without some modification to it. If it fits on yours directly, then you're luckier than me. I had to shave off some of the round edges to make it fit.

As for the HID, there was only one occasion when a driver flashed at me...the car was a Jeep Liberty and he was about 10-20 feet when he did. Let's put it this way, if you stare at the sun, will it make you look away? Yes? well then, don't stare at my lights...at least that's my thought anyway... But it can't be helped, people like to see the lights...it's just definitely unique...not something you see on the road every day.

But what I enjoyed doing the most is turning the HID lights on at dusk. That's when you see lots of drivers look towards you...with HID, when it first comes on, it burst into a yellow-white light and gradually turns into a bright pure-white light...again, something not too many drivers see everyday.
javelin is offline  
post #19 of 132 Old 05-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23
 
I spoke to a dealer today and it looks like I'm 90% there to just going with Cherokee HID housings and fitting my own HID into it.

If I do it I'll let you guys know what the big road blocks are to getting it all installed.
ohnoesaz is offline  
post #20 of 132 Old 05-05-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BlackNightling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Snarkansas
Posts: 176
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoesaz View Post
I spoke to a dealer today and it looks like I'm 90% there to just going with Cherokee HID housings and fitting my own HID into it.

If I do it I'll let you guys know what the big road blocks are to getting it all installed.
That would be terrific. Are you getting them from the dealer? Last I checked on original Jeep parts from the manufacturer's website, those headlights were over $400 a piece! I would love to get a set and swap out the headlights on mine. Still waiting to get the LED strip...
BlackNightling is offline  
post #21 of 132 Old 05-06-2011, 03:41 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23
 
Javelin,

For the LED resistors which wires did you tap a resistor into?
ohnoesaz is offline  
post #22 of 132 Old 05-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 40
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoesaz View Post
Javelin,

For the LED resistors which wires did you tap a resistor into?
The socket has 3 wires. I believed I used the two outer wires. The resistor is non-polarized so you can tap either end to the socket wires. Make sure you test before make permanent connection.

I presume this is for your turn signal/driving lights.

Post some pics after you're done.

Last edited by javelin; 05-06-2011 at 11:55 AM.
javelin is offline  
post #23 of 132 Old 05-06-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BlackNightling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Snarkansas
Posts: 176
 
Garage
Javelin,

When you put the LED strip in, did you take the headlight out and did you stick it to the bumper or the bottom of the headlight housing? Is the headlight housing hard to take out?

Oh, and i ordered a 20" kit and should be here middle of next week. I will get it installed, take pictures and post them up.
BlackNightling is offline  
post #24 of 132 Old 05-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 40
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brawleyman View Post
Javelin,

When you put the LED strip in, did you take the headlight out and did you stick it to the bumper or the bottom of the headlight housing? Is the headlight housing hard to take out?

Oh, and i ordered a 20" kit and should be here middle of next week. I will get it installed, take pictures and post them up.
I wanted to remove the headlight out to do a clean install but darn thing won't budge. I removed that one screw holding it but something else is holding it back down...haven't spent too much time figuring it out.

Under the housing it is. This is what I did. I cleaned the bumper under the light housing with soap and water and let it dry completely. Then wipe it again with a clean cloth to be sure.

Then, take a small flat-head screw driver, wrap the head with electrical tape so not to scratch the lens or anything else it touch. Use the screw driver to lift or open a small space for you to squeeze in the LED strip and removing the glue strip as you guide it along. After you're done, you won't see the LED strip and you're done.
javelin is offline  
post #25 of 132 Old 05-06-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BlackNightling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Snarkansas
Posts: 176
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
I wanted to remove the headlight out to do a clean install but darn thing won't budge. I removed that one screw holding it but something else is holding it back down...haven't spent too much time figuring it out.

Under the housing it is. This is what I did. I cleaned the bumper under the light housing with soap and water and let it dry completely. Then wipe it again with a clean cloth to be sure.

Then, take a small flat-head screw driver, wrap the head with electrical tape so not to scratch the lens or anything else it touch. Use the screw driver to lift or open a small space for you to squeeze in the LED strip and removing the glue strip as you guide it along. After you're done, you won't see the LED strip and you're done.
Cool! I am really looking forward to getting mine next week and installing it. Thank you so much for all the info.

I am still not sure about getting an HID kit because I like the flat beam line and I don't have the onboard computer to reprogram so that the headlights don't come on when you unlock the doors. I don't like that feature as it is.

Oh, and on the headlight, it is probably like my '07 Focus. There was a hidden brace and screw behind the bumber and to the side that held the headlight in place in addition to the connections on top of the headlight housing. It is just hard to get to on the Compass because the bottom of the engine compartment is completely covered as it is. I know this because I went to try and refocus my projector fog lights to a more even level and I had to shove my arm up through a little hole along with an alan wrench to adjust the fogs. Not much fun.

Last edited by BlackNightling; 05-06-2011 at 02:46 PM.
BlackNightling is offline  
post #26 of 132 Old 05-09-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BlackNightling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Snarkansas
Posts: 176
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
I replaced the low beam with HID kit from carid.com. I got the NOTTO SE with the 5000K color. It is very bright. Be careful when installing this; it comes with capacitor so make sure you get the +/- in order; otherwise, you'll see smoke...like I did but made correction immediately.

The LED strip, I got it from Autozone. I got the white one.

And the LED turn signal, I got from ijdmtoy.com. As regular driving light, the color is Xenon white...but when you activate the turn signal, it alternates between amber and white...it's pretty cool. This one is a little tricky to install...first off, it will not fit directly inside the housing. The LED lamp head is a little too wide to fit inside...I've almost returned it BUT it looked so cool when I tested it , so, I took a gamble by shaving some fat off until it fit...and so, there it is.

I just recently order an HID kit to replace the fog light...should be here next couple of days.

I'll take a daytime pics soon.

jav
Javelin,

I have checked online and have done some research, but haven't gotten a straight answer on the fog lights. What is the part number of the bulb (or equivalent)? Also, please post some night pics of your new fog lights when you get them installed!
BlackNightling is offline  
post #27 of 132 Old 05-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 40
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brawleyman View Post
Javelin,

I have checked online and have done some research, but haven't gotten a straight answer on the fog lights. What is the part number of the bulb (or equivalent)? Also, please post some night pics of your new fog lights when you get them installed!
The owner manual says the fog lamp is psx24w or h16. I ordered an HID kit based on that and when it was time to install, I almost broke down. When I pulled the fog lamp out, with much difficulty, the lamp is actually an H11 and NOT a psx24w(h16).

I just sent the bulb out today and asked for a replacement, H11. I'll post some pictures when I have it installed.
javelin is offline  
post #28 of 132 Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BlackNightling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Snarkansas
Posts: 176
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
The owner manual says the fog lamp is psx24w or h16. I ordered an HID kit based on that and when it was time to install, I almost broke down. When I pulled the fog lamp out, with much difficulty, the lamp is actually an H11 and NOT a psx24w(h16).

I just sent the bulb out today and asked for a replacement, H11. I'll post some pictures when I have it installed.
Yeah, that PSX24W is what I have seen a lot as well, but from what I could gather, it is actually the part number for the whole fog light assembly, not the bulb. I guess I ought to get under the 'ol jeep and find out exactly that it is an H11 so that I can get an HID kit for it. Nice to know that it is actually the same bulb type as the headlight!

Now, if only some aftermarket manufacturer could make projector headlights or the Grand Cherokee headlights would drop in price, then I could have a sweetness projector lighting extravaganza at night!
BlackNightling is offline  
post #29 of 132 Old 05-10-2011, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BlackNightling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Snarkansas
Posts: 176
 
Garage
I have confirmed that the fog light bulb is in fact an H11, just like the low beam headlight bulb, however, it is an LL bulb. I imagine that they made it an LL because it is supposed to be hard to get to so you don't have to replace them very often.

I found this NOT to be the case. I was able to get to the bulb easily without getting under the vehicle.

Right behind the headlight housing, there is plenty of room to reach down and you can feel the back of the fog light bulb, just twist and pull it out and the wiring is long enough to pull it up and drape over the headlight so you can replace it easily. Nice that they designed the fascia so that the fog light is higher up closer to the headlight so you can get to it.

Now with this information, one could get 2 sets of H11 bulbs (any color, brand, whatever) and the light will match. If only the headlights were the projectors as well.

Although the fogs are LL's, they are still 55 watters. If you got regular 55watt H11's, would they be any hotter and melt the housing or wiring or would they produce the same amount of heat so you have nothing to worry about?

Javelin,
When I get my Audi LED's, I will look into how to remove the headlight housing and let you guys know so that ohnoesaz can prepare for removing it when he gets his Grand Cherokee projectors from the dealer.
BlackNightling is offline  
post #30 of 132 Old 05-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 40
 
I believe the 55watt will produce more heat. The additional heat may affect the lenses.

Keep us posted with headlight housing. If not too hard to remove, I have a couple of
things in mind to do but that requires housing removal...waiting on you
javelin is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome