Aftermarket Stereo With Factory Backup Camera - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jasleth

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 09-03-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket Stereo With Factory Backup Camera

I've been looking into replacing my factory stereo with a Pioneer AVH-1330NEX. I went to the Crutchfield site first to look into retaining the steering wheel controls and the camera. One of the representatives told me I would have to install a new back up camera. Surely there has to be some possible way to use the factory camera. I have a 2014 Compass Latitude. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks!

Last edited by Olivia Thompson; 09-03-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-29-2018, 03:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia Thompson View Post
I've been looking into replacing my factory stereo with a Pioneer AVH-1330NEX. I went to the Crutchfield site first to look into retaining the steering wheel controls and the camera. One of the representatives told me I would have to install a new back up camera. Surely there has to be some possible way to use the factory camera. I have a 2014 Compass Latitude. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks!
Have you figured this out? I'm in the same situation. Currently looking into getting a CarPlay unit to replace my Uconnect 430 RBZ.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-30-2018, 02:06 PM

Garage
We did the Pioneer AV8200/8201 in our 2017 (old bodystyle so similar to yours I believe) Compass and our installer was able to keep the factory camera with the fixed line guides and our steering wheel controls all work just fine. I believe the bigger issue was with newer (2018?) head units that included other features like climate control, remote access control, etc in the head deck as well.

There is currently (not sure for how much longer) some pretty nice sales going on for the high end pioneer decks because they are moving to new model year models - we got ours at a nice discount making it cheaper than the 7200/7201 series base price yet including tax/installation =P

I can say that we LOVE our 8200 so far - here are the gotchas that we know of
the 8200/8201 series has 2 USB input ports - have them wire both but mark USB1 - appleplay only works on USB1.
that is IT =P

Navigation works great, we are still playing with features weeks after install lol
Chief77 likes this.

Proud owners of a new to us certified pre-owned
2017 Jeep Compass 75th Anniversary Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-30-2018, 07:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasleth View Post
We did the Pioneer AV8200/8201 in our 2017 (old bodystyle so similar to yours I believe) Compass and our installer was able to keep the factory camera with the fixed line guides and our steering wheel controls all work just fine. I believe the bigger issue was with newer (2018?) head units that included other features like climate control, remote access control, etc in the head deck as well.

There is currently (not sure for how much longer) some pretty nice sales going on for the high end pioneer decks because they are moving to new model year models - we got ours at a nice discount making it cheaper than the 7200/7201 series base price yet including tax/installation =P

I can say that we LOVE our 8200 so far - here are the gotchas that we know of
the 8200/8201 series has 2 USB input ports - have them wire both but mark USB1 - appleplay only works on USB1.
that is IT =P

Navigation works great, we are still playing with features weeks after install lol
Picture or it didn't happen! Please

I also have the 2017 old body style, correct.

$1400 on Pioneer's site and $674 on Amazon. Wow. Is that the kinda deal you're talking about? I've been looking at the Alpine iLX-700 because it has Wireless Apple Carplay. Currently, the Bluetooth on Uconnect is so flaky that I always plug my phone in but I was thinking that I'd go wireless with the addition of a new head unit. What is your thought on that?
post #5 of 5 Old 03-30-2018, 08:19 PM

Garage
To me Wireless ApplePlay would be nice - but then I don't really care the difference to be honest - the high end deck navi is so good that I use that over the apple play app.

What is nice about how our shop put it in - they ran the wiring for the USB cables into the glove so our devices stay hidden and no wires in sight at all - I think when we got ours the hardware cost us about $800ish plus installation costs etc so that $674 price is a bit cheaper now but that is typical of clearance pricing.

Wired has some advantages - solid connection always being one of them - the 8200/8201 deck also simultaneously supports 2 Bluetooth phone connections so primary + 1 which is nice when both of us are in the car.

I cannot speak to the Alpine deck as I have no experience with it but I can say that her old UConnect 4.3 deck was driving her NUTS - that's why we replaced it - she uses USB1 for her apple play and USB2 for her ipod player for sounds. She loves the Navi and overall the system has been performing like a champ - we had one odd hiccup where it was switched to android after we had the car in at service (wonder if they were playing with the deck lol)

At that price I would say you have a golden opportunity there - for a compass it does take some work making the legacy parts work but if you do you have a free spare backup cam and a great deck!

Proud owners of a new to us certified pre-owned
2017 Jeep Compass 75th Anniversary Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in