• 1 Post By Chris Jacobs
  • 2 Post By Chris Jacobs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2018, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Any Swing tire carriers?

EDIT:

I went with the Wilco Hitchgate Solo swing tire carrier. Pics below:

Last edited by airwolf39; 07-03-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2018, 02:59 AM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf39 View Post
Hi all,

I own a 2018 Jeep Trailhawk. Are there any swing tire carriers out there? Searching the forums and google doesnt seem to be lending me any answers. Thanks.
Why? With the Trailhawk you have a full-size spare "underneath" the rear "floor", and, with the type of rear lift hatch, I doubt you'd find one at all, anywhere
Old 04-24-2018, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Why?

A: Because it looks cool. It doesnt 'feel' like a jeep without the spare on the back.
B: The swing out tire care should be able to clear the hatch
C. More internal storage space for camping... and the compass needs all it can get in that department.

But i havent seen anything yet... not even so much as 3rd party bumpers. I'm kinda bummed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

I own a 2018 Jeep Trailhawk. Are there any swing tire carriers out there? Searching the forums and google doesnt seem to be lending me any answers. Thanks.
I was wondering the same thing.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
Old 04-24-2018, 03:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hi all,

AVID - This company has been doing some cool stuff with the BU (Renegade). If they follow suit with a lot of these BU aftermarket companies, it may only be a matter of time that they do something like this for the MP (Compass). This particular item would replace the rear stock bumper. It is the only one I've seen so far, but I'm sure there are others out there, just gotta keep digging.

AVID RADIUS EXPEDITION Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, Tow Hitch, and Recovery Points
Old 04-24-2018, 03:37 PM

Hello there! I own a Trailhawk too, and one of the things I plan on purchasing is this swing hitch tire carrier. wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo

Wilco sells for different brands and ect. But get the universal, hitch gate solo. It's around 500$, you could probably get it cheaper at carId.com or another website. But ive seen many other jeeps with this hitch tire carrier from renegades to cherokees KL.

Me personally, Id like to carry the tire in the hitch cause I can use the space inside for other things, specially if im gonna go camping and ect. Anyways, hope this helps!
Old 04-25-2018, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Sweet! The Hitchgate is not the most sexy thing in the world... but its a start! The Avid looks REALLY good. I hope they make a compass version soon.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have decided to go with the Hitchgate. It is light weight, which is very important for this jeep. Thanks again!
Old 06-16-2018, 03:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
I have decided to go with the Hitchgate. It is light weight, which is very important for this jeep. Thanks again!
Any pictures of the rig with the new Wilco Hitchgate Solo? I'm curios to see it on the MP
Old 07-03-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pescadito_mp View Post
Any pictures of the rig with the new Wilco Hitchgate Solo? I'm curios to see it on the MP
I do, i will upload later today.

Edit: Look in the OP. Thanks!

Last edited by airwolf39; 07-03-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:44 AM

Nice. Do you plan to get a cover for the tire?
Old 07-04-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVIGOR View Post
Nice. Do you plan to get a cover for the tire?
Nope, i like it exposed. Once i get my new wheels/tires it will look even better.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:02 PM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
Quote:
EDIT:

I went with the Wilco Hitchgate Solo swing tire carrier. Pics below:
I have to say that I don't think I like the look. Some will, in fact maybe lots will, but I just don't care for the look, sorry. Just my personal preference.

And................I have the "twin" to this vehicle
Old 07-05-2018, 03:05 PM

Its cool for a trailhawk no doubt, it wouldn't fit with the vibe of my Limited trim. More than that, I simply can't give up my receiver for the job of carrying the spare around, I need to tow my trailers frequently (boat and utility trailers) and I am also getting a lot of use out of this $50 cargo rack for odd jobs like bringing my oily 1962 Evinrude outboard boat motor in for a tuneup and things like that.

The cargo rack was awesome for camping. Was able to get all our supplies loaded up without putting the rear seats down, especially good since we picked up two friends and their gear along the way. Once it became four people and four people's worth of camping supplies we were fairly cramped but the cargo rack made it work. I think I just need one of those large locking roof boxes now so a few more items could be moved out of cabin storage and then I'd be pretty much good on cargo capacity for a 4-person adventure, and more than enough for just us two by ourselves.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:05 PM

I love the way that tire carrier looks and the fact the space for the spare could be used for more interior storage. Sadly we use the power hatch remote far to often to have it blocked like this. But thumbs up it looks great.
10-64 likes this.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Its cool for a trailhawk no doubt, it wouldn't fit with the vibe of my Limited trim. More than that, I simply can't give up my receiver for the job of carrying the spare around, I need to tow my trailers frequently (boat and utility trailers) and I am also getting a lot of use out of this $50 cargo rack for odd jobs

I actually looked at this system on their website not for our Compass but for our Suburban you don't lose the use of your receiver hitch. It adds a receiver tube to replace the receiver in the hitch it uses and is rated higher than the factory hitch on most vehicles. As I posted above I really like all it has to offer as well as its looks. But we use the power hatch and remote to often to have it blocked with this system on the Jeep.

Sadly my biggest issue is the price. I'm not saying it is not worth it but for a bit more I could buy an off road bumper with tire carrier for our Suburban or for less I could build one. LOL

I have one of the racks like you have while it has not been on the Compass (yet) it has been nice to use on my other vehicles.
REVIGOR and airwolf39 like this.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs
I actually looked at this system on their website not for our Compass but for our Suburban you don't lose the use of your receiver hitch. It adds a receiver tube to replace the receiver in the hitch it uses and is rated higher than the factory hitch on most vehicles.
Ah yes I think I see that in his pictures now. In that case I think I'd have to fall back to as you said just too much in-and-out of the back hatch for us to put up with adding a step to access that area, and again that it just doesn't seem like it would look right on non-trailhawk trim. I used to carry my high-lift jack on the roof of my previous SUV which looked kinda cool I guess but I never used it, all that got me was a rusted high-lift jack. I just don't live the cool full-blown Jeep lifestyle, but I'm ok with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs
I have one of the racks like you have while it has not been on the Compass (yet) it has been nice to use on my other vehicles.
It was a lifesaver for hauling four people's worth of gear out camping in the little Compass. Cheap too, but full disclaimer I assembled mine and then went all the way around and welded the snot out of it because it didn't seem too sturdy in its stock bolted-together form and their welds on the grate looked pretty weak and too few and far between. Then I just did some grinding and painting until it looked nice again and happily loaded up 250+ pounds of stuff which it took without even flexing. I also use a hitch anti-rattle plate to keep the rack from flopping around loosely in the receiver. A little extra work but I think it was well worth it, I'm still way fewer dollars into this than I would be to have one of those fancy roof boxes.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My tent takes up all the room on my roof haha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in