New competitor VW Tiguan - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 01-18-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

New competitor VW Tiguan

Saw the new VW Tiguan on the road (Greece). It is seemed slightly bigger than the Compass, has a 1.4 liter 150 hp engine (serious tax advantage for Europe where we are taxed on engine cc), a claimed 1-100 km/hr time of 9.5 seconds(5speed). It costs around 30K euros compared to the 35k euros I paid for my limited CVT compass. They also state 9.5 liters per 100 kms. (Im doing 14liters...).

The sure thing is that it will sell well here in europe.

Its not a Jeep, and that is what Jeep is doing here, mainly basing their sales on the Jeep brand.(translated advert- Either you real (Jeep) or you are not)

Any comments on Tiguan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-08-2008, 12:20 PM

Garage
Re: New competitor VW Tiguan

Branding is huge.
VW enthusiasts will welcome the Touareg's little brother. VW drivers have always favoured smaller cars, Likewise many Jeep drivers have pride in thier badge, but mosly favour cars bigger then bugs.
"As of now, VW Canada is saying expect Tiguan pricing to be a "couple of thousand" more than similarly equipped CR-Vs or Toyota RAV4s – i.e., $30,000 to $40,000 . . . In that case, if you're looking for a roomier, better riding and quieter VW Rabbit with available AWD, the new Tiguan has definitely been worth the wait. . . Toronto Star "
With Compass in Canada in the $20-30,000 price range I venture to say VW will not be reaching quite the same market. While I do like it better than a Mazda or an Explorer . . . I would way better chose the Jeep Liberty. With the new roof! No comparison. Would love to see the big sun roof on the Compass, or as I have said elsewhere a convertable, as the Jeepsteer of the 1950's.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #3 of 5 Old 02-09-2008, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Interesting positioning in terms of pricing for VW. Here in europe, the Tiguan will be around 3-4000 euros cheaper than the compass... This is what "pissed" me off in terms of positioning of Chrysler in Europe. The Jeep badge here is considered a "status" symbol, but things will get tough. With the Euro/Dollar ratio the way it is now, Chrysler is making a killing in Europe. Like I said, I paid 50K us dollars for my Compass. Still love it though, as I believe that it should retain its value well and it is fun to drive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-09-2008, 12:34 PM

Garage
New competitor BMW X6 (not)

Wow-at $50K your JEEP must be a much more exclusive vehicle in Greece than a VW. Classy choice - congratulations! :mrgreen:

"With its upcoming Tiguan, Volkswagen has seen fit to push that line a little further to the dirty side with a Land Rover–esque catalog of off-road-slanted electronic aids and even two different front-end styles, one (called “Sport & Style”) for on-road Tigs and one (“Track & Field”) that allows for a 28-degree approach angle. Add to that a battery of skid plates, and you have an impressive off-road résumé for a mini-ute that is fundamentally a VW Rabbit with 7.3 inches of ground clearance . . . . But for buyers searching for the higher seating position and capability of an SUV without the wallowing body motions, a 2.0-liter turbo Tiguan with DSG could be just the tall wagon they are looking for. With a base price we expect will start around $24,000, Volkswagen should have little trouble finding homes for the 40,000 or so Tiguans it hopes to sell per year." quoted from Car and Driver.

Seems that the Tiguan might be a bit better priced for the US market. The Tiguan will also be offered with some very interesting features and looks like potentially a hot competitor for the Liberty, not so much the Compass, as in Canada, the US price will start where the Compass tops off.
By the way I remember how excited I was when the Compass concept car was first introduced, I have been reading about the new BMW X6, and although in a league of it's own, I think it resembles our Compass in original concept, talk about a complement to our design (or maybe I'm dreaming).

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #5 of 5 Old 02-10-2008, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Actually you would be suprised to see the amount of 50+ vehicles on the road here... People usually hold on to them for more than 6+ years as it is expensive. When I was shopping for the Compass, I looked at the RAV4, which was 3000 euros more! and had a delivery time of 2-3 months.... The car market here is very different from US/Canada. Anyway, like I said, Jeep is considered a status symbol / or for true off road fanatics. Not that I am rich or anything, but the Compass does turn heads!! As far as the X6 is concerned, I am sure that there will be quite a few on the road here.

I have already eyed my next vehicle -Cherokee (Liberty)2.8 Diesel -. I really cant see switching to another manufacturer in this category.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in