Adding A trailer hitch - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By arudlang

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 03-04-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Adding A trailer hitch

Has anyone had the dealership add a trailer hitch to their Compass? I just bought a 2019 Compass trailhawk and am curious how much it cost and if anyone has pics of it after? They said it would be cut into the bumper..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-04-2019, 01:36 AM

I installed one myself on my Latitude, I think it was a Reese brand, no cutting, it does seem to hang down a bit though
post #3 of 8 Old 03-04-2019, 04:11 AM

If you bought one and all the paperwork is done, and NOW you want something different or extra, I'm afraid you have made a mistake and your wallet is going to pay dearly for it.

There is a whole rigamarole with the rear bumper trim/fascia being different for those with the tow package. There are some details around the forum here from those who have forged ahead and done it on their own. Then if you get that far with the physical hardware, there is the wiring issue and whether to use the factory tow computer module (huge mess, from what I hear) or do aftermarket wiring (simpler but no warranty support).

It is pretty much critical that folks buy these things configured how they want them from the start, adding literally ANYTHING after the purchase has been a huge expensive hassle for folks. A lot of people report their dealerships jerking them around acting like they can't even do a factory tow package install (because they don't wan't to). And they don't want to because they make no money whatsoever on that type of install.

They've got your money already, by the sounds of it, $600-$800 bucks is going to sound hella expensive to you to install factory towing kit but that won't barely even really cover their parts and labor, and now you are relying on the skill of your local tech monkeys vs buying one that had the entire factory tow package properly installed right from the factory. Its not just hardware, there is a trailer tow computer module that goes with and programming for the anti-sway and all that jazz.

You can install something aftermarket like mycampbell did but we've talked about that here on the forum as well, in a nutshell aftermarket is nowhere near as good as factory.

Unless your dealership service staff are really nice and you have plenty of money it might be a real uphill battle for you. Could get lucky, if they have not installed one themselves yet you can be the first, get a service writer to lock in a low price fast and early before they realize what they have to do and how many hours it will take them, maybe you will skate by but really really really should have gotten one with all the options you wanted/needed from the start.

Some reference links:

https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...r-hitches.html

https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...formation.html

https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...ch-status.html
84z28 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-25-2019, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
If you bought one and all the paperwork is done, and NOW you want something different or extra, I'm afraid you have made a mistake and your wallet is going to pay dearly for it.

There is a whole rigamarole with the rear bumper trim/fascia being different for those with the tow package. There are some details around the forum here from those who have forged ahead and done it on their own. Then if you get that far with the physical hardware, there is the wiring issue and whether to use the factory tow computer module (huge mess, from what I hear) or do aftermarket wiring (simpler but no warranty support).

It is pretty much critical that folks buy these things configured how they want them from the start, adding literally ANYTHING after the purchase has been a huge expensive hassle for folks. A lot of people report their dealerships jerking them around acting like they can't even do a factory tow package install (because they don't wan't to). And they don't want to because they make no money whatsoever on that type of install.

They've got your money already, by the sounds of it, $600-$800 bucks is going to sound hella expensive to you to install factory towing kit but that won't barely even really cover their parts and labor, and now you are relying on the skill of your local tech monkeys vs buying one that had the entire factory tow package properly installed right from the factory. Its not just hardware, there is a trailer tow computer module that goes with and programming for the anti-sway and all that jazz.

You can install something aftermarket like mycampbell did but we've talked about that here on the forum as well, in a nutshell aftermarket is nowhere near as good as factory.

Unless your dealership service staff are really nice and you have plenty of money it might be a real uphill battle for you. Could get lucky, if they have not installed one themselves yet you can be the first, get a service writer to lock in a low price fast and early before they realize what they have to do and how many hours it will take them, maybe you will skate by but really really really should have gotten one with all the options you wanted/needed from the start.

Some reference links:

https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...r-hitches.html

https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...formation.html

https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...ch-status.html
2 of the guys at the dealership said they dont come with hitches anymore? We looked all over the lot and none of the Compasses there had that option. Unfortunately I traveled 4hrs and a 1.5hr ferry to be there, and that it had majority of options I wanted it was worth commiting too. I have since called the dealership about installing a hitch and it is $850cdn all in. Which is fine with me. It is for a bike rack so do not need the wiring etc for towing trailers! So should hopefully be more straightforward and less hassle then you're making it out to be. The tech I spoke with didnt make it sound like it was going to be a painful job so I'm glad for that
post #5 of 8 Old 03-25-2019, 05:27 PM

Garage
really wish we had seen some of the other articles before committing to a class 2 hitch instead of a class 3 - but honestly other than that our add on hitch post purchase done by the dealer has done well and we have no real problems. The weight difference even for bikes is important as the difference between class 2 and class 3 is fairly large (if you are carrying 2 LIGHT bikes not so bad - her bike is a bit of a beast and mine is a more expensive lighter bike and we barely make the capacity for vertical weight which is much lower than the tow capacity)

Do your homework and ask those questions about wiring and such before you jump and you should be ok.

There is a huge difference in dealership quotes and who you work with though - so definitely shop, talk, learn, listen.

Proud owners of a new to us certified pre-owned
2017 Jeep Compass 75th Anniversary Sport
post #6 of 8 Old 03-25-2019, 11:57 PM

Jasleth - Can't vouch for the 2019 Compass, but I believe it is essentially similar to the 2018. For my 2018 Latitude, official Mopar part for the receiver Hitch was 82214659. In June 2018, List was $ 182, and local dealer charged me $ 155. Although I did have to cut a hole in my prior 2015 Compass, 2017 onwards the hitch will come out back of bumper, requiring you to replace the lower fascia. For the 2018 Latitude, the part was 68353671AB. (Per Mopar: w/o Trailhawk, w/o accent, with hitch, with reverse sensors; note - there seven different configurations for the lower fascia.) My fascia was listed at $ 155, dealer sold me at $ 132 + $ 100 core charge. Installation of both pretty easy.

I did not wire, as I am only using for bike rack. Trailer wiring requires running wire to either fuse panel in engine compartment or glove box, unlike my Murano or Highlander, where you just unplugged a modular connector.

Last edited by Grayrider84; 03-27-2019 at 03:31 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-04-2019, 09:55 AM

I installed one myself on my Latitude, I think it was a Reese brand, no cutting, it does seem to hang down a bit though
post #8 of 8 Old 05-04-2019, 11:17 PM

I installed an OEM hitch myself in my Latitude. Total cost including wiring came to $300.
Biggest PITA was cutting the valance, but it will be a lot easier on the next one. 😜

2019 Compass Latitude-Needs a hitch!
“Life is what happens to you when you’re busy making other plans.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in