2011 compass intake - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 Old 07-09-2011, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2011 compass intake

Ok I decided to take the plunge on a K&N filter alternative. I just ordered an AEM brute force dry flow filter.

I will post pictures and a review as soon as it comes in. Just as an FYI, if you would like to order, the part number is 21-2047BF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-11-2011, 05:36 AM

Thank you for sharing the part number for the filter.

I'd like to try to build a nice air intake for the 2011 Compass and dyno it versus stock, & the K&N filter. We'll see how quickly that project seems to manifest itself
post #3 of 19 Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Alright sorry I forgot to pictures, but the new filter is in! This filter is awesome. The engine is actually a lot quieter (especially when cold). It no longer sounds like the motor is choking to death. As far as more power is concerned, it definitely has more low end power but 40 mph to 60 mph is still a tough task.

As for fitment, model 21-2047BF fits, but with modification. I did not realize that the height did not include the flange. I had to cut about 75% of the flange (really not a problem nor a big deal). My suggestion though would be to order 21-204DK. No modification should be needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 07-23-2011, 08:32 AM

How is your fuel economy numbers after the install? Im still struggling to get better than 20mpg weather or not i am driving all city or a mix of city/hwy.
post #5 of 19 Old 07-25-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Not sure yet, but with the OEM filter I average 20-22 in the city and about 28-30 on the highway.

How many miles do you have on yours? I'm noticing as I add miles the fuel economy improves (which makes sense). The break-in period for me was 1500 miles.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-30-2011, 12:06 AM

you must be getting canadian gas mileage. Here in the USA, I am only getting 19-20mpg city/hwy combined. My normal driving is 90-95% city driving. Last week I got to switch it up and do more of a 60/40 and I still only got 19.98mpg. I wish someone could post some USEFUL information to improve Fuel Economy. I have changed plugs, replaced air filter, switched to pure synth. oil and modded the air intake and still 20mpg combined is all i can get. I feel like a diesel truck, gas mileage doesnt change loaded or unload, city or highway.

Last edited by clancraighead; 07-30-2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: last statement didnt make sense.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-08-2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancraighead View Post
you must be getting canadian gas mileage. Here in the USA, I am only getting 19-20mpg city/hwy combined. My normal driving is 90-95% city driving. Last week I got to switch it up and do more of a 60/40 and I still only got 19.98mpg. I wish someone could post some USEFUL information to improve Fuel Economy. I have changed plugs, replaced air filter, switched to pure synth. oil and modded the air intake and still 20mpg combined is all i can get. I feel like a diesel truck, gas mileage doesnt change loaded or unload, city or highway.
I get 24 MPG combined, with air conditioning ON.

With no air conditioning, I get 25-26 combined.

The best I've ever gotten is 28 MPG, Highway, at 65-70 MPH, with no air, and cruise ON.

I don't know what the difference is, but I seem to be on the high side in regard to mileage. The only thing I can attribute it to, is my use of cruise control every chance I get.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-08-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Recent studies by consumer reports (I think it was them) have actually proven higher mpg with AC and cruise control on versus no AC and windows down at highway speeds. Like you said my average is about 25 mpg with a mix of 75% highway and 25% city.

On a recent long trip, I achieved 30mpg cruising at about 75mph with no AC (but windows closed) and cruise control on.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-09-2011, 04:45 AM

higher oct. doesnt help. I tried a tank of 92oct. fuel and it was less than .5mpg difference from 87oct. the 89 seems to be what it likes. I still am not sure my i cant get over 20mpg. on highway. Check your RPM's and let me know what your reading at 60, 70, and 75mph. I would be curious to know. I think my trans. and throttle are out of sync at the higher speeds and I am not sure what I can do to correct it. I have been looking for a computer to unlock mine or a chipset for it. I seem to be drawing a blank there.
Suggestions?
post #10 of 19 Old 08-09-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Can I ask a dumb question? Could you're calculation be off? I'm in no way trying to insult your math but what are you doing to calculate MPG.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-09-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancraighead View Post
higher oct. doesnt help. I tried a tank of 92oct. fuel and it was less than .5mpg difference from 87oct. the 89 seems to be what it likes. I still am not sure my i cant get over 20mpg. on highway. Check your RPM's and let me know what your reading at 60, 70, and 75mph. I would be curious to know. I think my trans. and throttle are out of sync at the higher speeds and I am not sure what I can do to correct it. I have been looking for a computer to unlock mine or a chipset for it. I seem to be drawing a blank there.
Suggestions?
I have to go to the next town today, and it's all highway driving.

I'll use cruise and take RPM readings at the speeds you asked for.

I'll post the readings later today.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-09-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsnation View Post
Can I ask a dumb question? Could you're calculation be off? I'm in no way trying to insult your math but what are you doing to calculate MPG.
When I take my readings, I fill up. Then do the trip, and refill.

As we don't have those damn vapor flaps on our gas pump hoses out here in rural Oklahoma, I can do very accurate fill ups, bringing the fuel up to the same point in the filler neck every time.

I always carry a calculator, so I don't have to tax my brain, and maybe calculate incorrectly.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-12-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEGEE View Post
I have to go to the next town today, and it's all highway driving.

I'll use cruise and take RPM readings at the speeds you asked for.

I'll post the readings later today.
WOOPS...did the driving yesterday, didn't get around to posting till today.

I wasn't able to do the 75 MPH level...every time I tried, a vehicle would approach from the opposite direction, and I slowed down.

60 MPH = 2000 RPM
65 MPH = 2150 RPM
70 MPH = 2250 RPM

The above were taken after the car settled down at speed, on level ground.
post #14 of 19 Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 PM

What did you do with the electrical set up on top of your airbox??
post #15 of 19 Old 09-22-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Still there. Did not need to mess with any of that. I left the factory box in place because the brute force fits directly inside.
post #16 of 19 Old 09-22-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
What did you do with the electrical set up on top of your airbox??
Hey Sterling,
check out my install, with photos and my MPG results
kn airfilter 2011 compass install with Photos

18 Redline Pearl w/Two–Tone Paint Compass Latitude 2.4L, 4x4, Auto Mods/Addons:
Eonon GA2168K Android 10.1" Screen Double Din Car Multimedia Center
Previous Cars:
11 Mineral Gray Metallic Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Auto
08 Red Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Manual
post #17 of 19 Old 09-30-2011, 02:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEGEE View Post
I get 24 MPG combined, with air conditioning ON.

With no air conditioning, I get 25-26 combined.

The best I've ever gotten is 28 MPG, Highway, at 65-70 MPH, with no air, and cruise ON.

I don't know what the difference is, but I seem to be on the high side in regard to mileage. The only thing I can attribute it to, is my use of cruise control every chance I get.
65-70mph is the answer!!!! im on the highway 90%@87mph and the consumption is 18.75mpg...... :s...... if i were at 65mph it will be like sleeping..

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
post #18 of 19 Old 09-30-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
75mph seems to be a good mix of speed and MPG performance. I'm still getting ~24 mpg going 75mph.
post #19 of 19 Old 10-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsnation View Post
75mph seems to be a good mix of speed and MPG performance. I'm still getting ~24 mpg going 75mph.
24mph is a LOT!!!!!

My A/C is always on and the route has lots of uphills and downhills. Also full of luggage and 3 persons including me.

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in