Exhaust System Upgrade Worth It? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 04-18-2008, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust System Upgrade Worth It?

Question for anyone that might have some good insight. My compass has 2" exhaust and the magnaflow system I am looking at is 2 1/4". What kind of performance difference is there between the two sizes. Would it be worth it to just get a magnaflow muffler and swap it in for the old and keep the current 2" run, or go ahead with cat back 2 1/4 with magnaflow muffler? Let me know what you think!!!

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-19-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Re: Exhaust System Upgrade Worth It?

Again, after some research I think I have a little insight on my own deboggle. Due to the relatively low exhaust output of the 2.4L engine, increasing the exhaust tube diameter by 1/4" will have little if any effect performance wise, and anything larger that 2 1/4 will most likely decrease HP unless of course a turbo application is installed. As far as the stock muffler, it is suprisingly fairly high in its flow rate and is not very restrictive, allowing for proper back pressure. (too high back pressure kills horsepower, too low back pressure kills low end) So it seems there isnt much "play" with the exhaust system and it would be more worth while to focus on input rather than output, atleast until exhaust volume increases dramatically. Let me know if you have anything else I might be missing!!

P.S. Im told that the resonant frequency with 2 1/4 on a 2.4 sounds horrible
post #3 of 4 Old 04-19-2008, 05:58 PM

I don't know myself, but I've read on some fourms that people who installed a CAI and had an upgraded exhaust system (don't know if it included bigger piping) could easily notice a gain...where as some people who installed a cai didn't really feel too much noticeable gain...so I don't know if its true and thats how it works but thats what i've read!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-19-2008, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

I would like to see a company or person release maybe some research results regarding this. Anyone done it and threw it on a dyno??? So I find out also that the flowmaster 50 series delta flow has some noticeable results, anyone use flowmaster?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in