DIY Short Ram Intake for under $40 - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 18 Old 06-27-2008, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

DIY Short Ram Intake for under $40

Ok first off I want to say in no way do I dislike the compass for being a ride you can customize etc. One thing I do think rediculous is the fact that people are paying over $200 etc. for a simple short ram intake. These cars are not high horsepower cars nor are they tuners like the CRT4 etc. With that said. I believe you guys should put your money elsewhere like tints etc. The only thing restrictive at all in the compass intake system is the airbox itself. The stock intake piping to the airbox is almost 2.5" which is plenty and the bends are done the correct way so no restriction is caused. If you follow my how to, you will be able to install a short ram intake that will perform exactly the same as the K&N or secret weapon intakes. I love to help people out and save people money so I hope you enjoy. Oh also it didn't throw any CEL's and I haven't checked fuel economy yet but I'm sure it's going to increase. With that being said here we go:

Tools Needed

1/4" & 5/16" sockets
scissors
cuttoff wheel or dremel
die grinder with sanding pad (optional)

Other items needed

3" Intake Filter (ebay is the absolute cheapest. got mine for $13 shipped)
Universal Air Breather (ebay again..paid $10 shipped.)

2.5" OD to 3" OD pipe (mineke made it for me got it for $10-should be aobut 5-6" long )

1/2" barb -1/2"barb coupler

extra pipe clamp(homedepot)
5 minute epoxy (homedepot)

Instructions

First off you want to remove that air scoop thing near the hood latch. Just twist those two tabs and then pull the unit out.

Next you want to pull off the engine cover. It just yanks right off. It's attached nicely with little ball and socket like pieces.

Next you want to pull off the black hose that goes from the valve cover to the stock airbox. Disconnect it at the airbox only for now.

Now use that 5/16" socket to loose the clamp from the intake pipe to the airbox. The detach the pipe.

Pull up on the airbox and take it out. Same type of connectors as the engine cover are used for the air box.

First we'll deal with the breather filter. First thing I would put the 1/2" barb into the breather filter but don't tighten the clamp. Take the engine cover and just place it on top of the connectors but don't snap it down. Hold the breather fiter etc. over the tube and make a mental line where you want to cut the tube to insert the other part of the barb. I wanted the breather to stock out a certain distance as it compliments the large intake filter colors (both silver).

Next cut the tubing where you made that mental line and insert the barb into the hose and clamp.

Done with that part of the install.

Ok now the more involve part. Attach the 2.5" to 3" pipe to the intake filter (obviously the 3" part is what the filter is clamped to).
Put this aside. Now take your filter out of the airbox. Take a cutoff wheel etc. and cut off the piece that the stock intake pipe was connected to originally.

Next, take the pipe with the air filter on it and put it on top of the hole that is cutout. Take a sharpie and trace around the 2.5" part to make a circle to cut or sand out. I used my dremel with the rotary sander on it.

Now draw a line around the half of the intake box that doesn't have the hole near the bottom but still keeping the bottom portion of the airbox. THis is because we want to utilize the stock mounting parts etc.

Now seperate the airbox and cut along that line with the cuttoff wheel.

Next cut out a section on the side with the hole like I did.

After I did the above i put the sections back together where they interlocked on the bottom and used the 5 minute epoxy to permanently attach the two pieces at the joint. It should look like a 90 degree angle. We are doing all this not only for making mounting eaasy but it acts just like the K&N heat shield from the heat coming off the exhaust header.

For added support I added a few screws at the end of the joints. Just to make sure it will hold up through everything.

Now you're almost done!!!! Just put back the modified "heat shield" aka hacked up airbox into the mounting connectors. Now slide the air intake filter with pipe assembly through the hole that you made and into the stock airpipe. Tighten the clamp, reinstall the engine cover and take a step back and admire the awesomeness of the install you just did yourseld!!! And you saved a **** load of cash. Woohoo!!! If you've found this how to helpful as I'm sure you have, feel free to send a donation to my paypal. [email protected] ENJOY

Check out how tiny the K&N intake filter is compared to the one i put in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-28-2008, 11:39 AM

Garage
Re: DIY Short Ram Intake for under $40

Beautiful presentation.
I wish that things we buy could come with such clear and well done instructions!

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #3 of 18 Old 06-28-2008, 02:25 PM

Hey, it does look good and looks pretty easy to do also. But what about warranty? Chrysler may deny any warranty claims due to this mod. At least K&N stands behind their products. Plus going with a cheap air filter bought off ebay, why not at least put a decent one on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-28-2008, 06:22 PM

yea im going to have to agree about the warranty. If something were to happen with my engine due to a hacked up mod instead of one with a warranty, I would be pretty mad about it.

Looks like a good Idea though if you have nothing to lose! Nice job showing us how to do it a handy-mans way.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-29-2008, 04:21 PM

your asking fr problems using that cheap ass filter....i would rather pay 200 that way if i have to take it in for repairs i can just put the stock airbox back on

but i give u credit....it would be easier just to take out the whole airbox and just put the k&n on the end of the stock intake tube without the hacked up box
post #6 of 18 Old 06-30-2008, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

first off i want to say i own a modded cobalt SS/SC so i do know about caring about a warranty etc. but guys. this is an intake. it's not like ur putting on a full exhaust or cams etc. it's an intake. and you are foolish to drop $250 on K&N because its really not that different at all. that cheap as intake filter is the same quality as that stupid overpriced K&N. i've owned every intake brand from AEM to secret weapon etc. plus guys....this is a jeep compass. the intake i put on for my girl will perform the exact same as the K&N. also....if you've ever heard of the Magnuson-Moss Act . the dealership can't void your warranty just for having an aftermarket part. you guys should know your rights. if the problem is caused from the intake then yeah. but from doing the above easy as pie mods...there's absolutely nothing that could go wrong. unless you decide to say fill you intake filter with sand before installing which i advise not to. for those who save money and do this mod im happy to be of service..for all those with other comments....um well we all know where you can put them lol. and you obviously don't know much about the aftermarket part world nor tuning cars.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-01-2008, 12:11 AM

Yea, that may be true. But what if you want to re-sell your vehicle? You would get a better price for it if you keep all the stock parts so when you do decide to sell it it looks like a better buy. Believe it or not, people tend to buy pre-owned cars that are stock, and the seller gets a better profit for his/her car.

I keep all my stock parts just incase...or If I decide to sell them on Ebay I can make a profit lol.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-01-2008, 01:31 AM

I am also agreeing with everyone here that if something does happen with you cheap ebay filter, which something will from my expirences dealing with them, than you have to spend extra money which could go to other non jeryrigged parts. and yeah getting that oversized filter to funnel it down into a smaller tube does absolutley nothing.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-01-2008, 01:37 AM

dud just buy the k&n filter atleast....i used a cheap ass filter on my old car and it got wet and stalled out the car,the dealer came and towed it then because the crappy filter got fixed they didnt cover it under warranty and i got charged $150 just to be told the crappy filter got wet and made the maf go screwy
post #10 of 18 Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

First off...putting an aftermarket intake system on a jeep compass will not hurt the resale value. it adds fuel economy and a few horses. it's not like buying an SRT4 which has a few mods. ( in which most likely it has been beat on like a red headed step child). and there are other ways to do this intake like buy not hacking up the airbox etc.

also, nothing i did was "jerryrigged" . none of my connections will ever come off or rust etc. and for the guy stating about the oversized filter lol. that's a standard 3'inch air filter guy. the only reason why the K&N filter is so dam small is they most likely engineered that part last. to me it looks like they were running out of room and had to decrease the size of the filter. also most likely they did it because of the fact they needed to still attach the crank case breather hose to the intake pipe.

-ancona you crack me up bro. yeah of coarse any filter that gets wet is gonna stall ur car genius. yeah aem has the dry flow which is supposed to resist water. but if you drive ur car through a deep puddle and the intake sucks up a little water etc....ur gonna stall ur car/ possible kill ur maf sensor/or waterlock ur car. the filter wasn't the reason you had to pay to get ur car fixed...it was ur own stupidity.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-01-2008, 11:53 AM

no not really it was only spiting out and somehow from the filter being damp it sucked up the moisture

thats why u have to used a oiled filter if its gonna be exposed

Webmaster edit: Name-calling removed.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-02-2008, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

yeah im sure it was guy. yeah i guess all the intakes etc. i've used over the past years have not gotten soaked etc. even when being a non oiled filter just outta dumb luck lol. good luck with all your automotive en devours lol.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-02-2008, 02:36 AM

I like it. I do see that the K&R has a seal which should minimize the chance of it getting wet. You could probably add something similar and rivet it to the shell....
post #14 of 18 Old 07-02-2008, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

lol no seal on the k&n that rubber piece is there for appearance...it covers the edge of the plastic shield. listen if ur not driving though a dam small pond u'll be fine lol.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-02-2008, 06:40 AM

Thnx for taking the time to put together this very detailed easy to follow mod.. great job.. I got a leased vehicle so i probably wont be tinkering :P but i luv to see how ppl play with their toys... check in and keep us updated on any of ur future projects.. oh and also be sure to follow up in regards to any noticeable change in fuel economy.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-05-2008, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

np man glad you like it. you can do the same exact thing but not modify the airbox. most likely there's not that much heat soaking the air around the intake so it would probably be fine. when your driving, cool air will come in through the grill and under the hood which should reach the intake and the heat from the headers should go in back towards the rear of the car.
post #17 of 18 Old 08-30-2008, 04:56 PM

I'm thinking of doing the Intake and Exhaust. Looks great!
post #18 of 18 Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 PM

You all are dumb.. You could keep the stock air box the way it is and easily build your own box like the OP said. You dont have to cut a hole in it and hack it up. You could simply form a box from light sheet metal or something like that. He is correct the "rubber" on the k&n filter setup is really not funtional. This is a pretty lagit simple set up that could be switched back to stock if need be. Props on the write up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 JEEP Compass Rallye
1984 BMW 533i

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in