Key Fob replacement - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 07-08-2008, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Key Fob replacement

My wifes purse was stolen with her Jeep key in it. So this leads me to the important part anyone know where you can get the key fobs(key and fob all one piece) replaced? I know someone will say the dealer but I already called and they said it is a minimum of $175. I don't want to pay that much we have already been robbed once is enough in this matter. It was suggested to me to get the uncut key online program it myself and get the key cut at a lock smith anyone have any ideas for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-08-2008, 05:37 PM

Re: Key Fob replacement

I have seen them posted on E-Bay.
But u will need information from the back of the fob, such as FCCID # and other info.
You can check what is compatable from the dealer, then get it cut by a lockmith, and programmed from the instructions in your manual... You might need both keys for the programming, and that could be your problem.......
Good luck,
Tom

2008 Compass North WITH the 2.0 & C.V.T.
Light Khaki
post #3 of 5 Old 07-08-2008, 05:51 PM

Please check with your insurance agent. The theft may be covered by your homeowners or auto policy. It can't hurt to find out. Sorry to hear about your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-08-2008, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

The insurance company is not sure they will cover it and with a deductible it doesn't matter I am out the money either way. The insurance for her company said no and our insurance doesn't know.
Also the ebay keys seem a little suspicious. One person was selling precut keys. I want to find a company that sells them. I do know you have match numbers from the back of the key before it will work.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-09-2008, 03:37 PM

Garage

Unfortunately, from what I have read about how Key FOBs work, you're out of luck.

Key FOBs can be duplicated when two keys are present. You need two keys in order to program the chip inside the new key. You can actually do this yourself (by purchasing a blank chipped key and then inserting the original key in the ignition, and doing certain steps...usually.) However if two keys are not present, it has to be taken back to the dealership and completely reprogrammed.

You may want to do a local area search for after-market alarm system installers. Usually these companies will offer this type of service (if possible).

Best of Luck.

Jeep Compass LIMITED 4x2 - Jeep Green
*Driver Package
*Security Package
*Boston Speaker Upgrade
*U-Connect Connectivity
*Sirius Sat. Radio
*Pin-Strip
*Wheel Locks
*Black Vent Visors
*LED Multi-Color Underglow
*Rallye Body Kit [Pending Installation]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in