2010 Compass Shift Knob Issue/Questions - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 07-31-2011, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2010 Compass Shift Knob Issue/Questions

Hello, I have the 2010 Automatic jeep Compass & I really want to change my shift knob. Does anybody know how to take it off? I was also wandering if you guys know about the specs for a new shift knob. The one I want to buy is on americanshifter.com If you guys want to see the exact one I want to buy there it is: VonWolf Wolf Shift Knob americanshifter.com It is the Von Wolf shift knob. I also have no clue on how to install it. I really hope you guys can help me! I will be checking my thread in the morning for some answers! Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-31-2011, 01:52 PM

Garage
Removing the stock shift knob is tough, but simple. Your gonna ned a good pair of pliers, and some strong hands. All you have to do is twist and pull, the stock knob is heald on by glue. As for the knob specs I have no clue, your best bet is to measure the post width before ordering anything.

SRT4 Compass
265hp/ 140mph top out
"Catch me if you can"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-31-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So, If I understand correctly I just got to pull as hard as I can to get it off... Twisting while pulling must be easier cuz it loosens up the shift knob/glue I figure! Thanx allot! Do you think I'll be able to put a custom knob thow? Or there's no fitting for it? I really hope I can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-31-2011, 07:43 PM

Garage
You should be able too, just remember to get an adapter set

SRT4 Compass
265hp/ 140mph top out
"Catch me if you can"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Perfect! Thank you very much monstercompass13. That was the exact word i was searching for! adapter set. I was wandering if I needed to buy one because there was some for sale with the custom shift knob I wanted to buy! I will definitely post some pics once I've bought & assembled my new knob! Thanks alot!
post #6 of 15 Old 07-31-2011, 09:46 PM

Garage
No problem, thas what the forum is for, looking forward to seeing your work

SRT4 Compass
265hp/ 140mph top out
"Catch me if you can"

post #7 of 15 Old 08-01-2011, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just a quick update for whoever is reading this, I have taken off my shift knob very easily just by pulling it, my sister would of been able to do that... but then i need to know which adapter set i need to buy? metric or standard? the online representative from where im buying my knob told me metric but he said i should call my dealer to make sure, anybody have a clue? If you guys want to check the specs of the adapters, here is the link :
Metric Shift Knob Adapter Set ~ 8 Piece americanshifter.com

Thanks in advance!
post #8 of 15 Old 08-01-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Discouraged :( Help!!

Gosh, I didn't have the good news I wanted this morning . I called the company directly & described my situation to figure out which adapter set to buy & he asked me if the stick was threaded. It is not. So then he said unfortunately they don't have an adapter to put the shift knob on those kind of sticks! Does someone have any idea how I could do this? I was really looking forward to put that new addition! But now it's over, I can't do it, unless someone has a bright idea! Please! Help me!!
post #9 of 15 Old 08-01-2011, 03:24 PM

I suppose you could go the "Home Depot" route and thread it yourself if that's the knob you REALLY want on there. You'll just need to know what KIND of thread is on the new knob so you'll buy the right tool. I don't know what the tool itself is called though. I remember doing something similar with a door knob I wanted on a closet door a long time ago. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work in this case.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2009 Compass Sport, Green, 4X4, 5-spd
Roof rack, sunroof, fog lights
Boston Sound package
post #10 of 15 Old 08-01-2011, 05:00 PM

If you thread it yourself you would need a tap and die set. You would be using the die part. Some do rent the set rather then buy it outright. If your going to use it one time I would rent it.

You would need to know what the thread of the handle or the adapter was tho so you know what set to get either Standard or metric.

It you decide to thread it tape a rag around the shiftier so you don't get metal fragments in your car. Use a little cutting oil as well I'd use a non aersoal so it doesn't go all over the place. Or take the whole thing out of your jeep but I don't know how much of a pita that would be. Before you remove that rag use a shop vac to clean up so you don't lose any of the filings.

2007 Compass 4WD
post #11 of 15 Old 08-02-2011, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks BigJ, I'm going to see my father tommorow night he's a mechanic so he will probably be able to answer my next question. How are we suppose to determine if it's metric or standard? I don't get that part? I have to measure the circumference of the shifter stick or what? I really like your idea guys! It put up my spirit a bit more. I will definitely buy it now. I just need to know which adapter set I will be buying, either the metric or standard which bugs me alot! Keep up the advice guys! I appreciate it.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-03-2011, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Another update for everybody! I have officially bought my shift knob! I also bought the metric shift knob adapter kit which consists of 8 different sized adapter pieces (inside & outside threads of different dimensions) with a jam nut! When I will receive it I will figure out something to either make threads out of my stick or put a bolt to jam the adapter in place. I was suggested silicon but I'm not too confident with that, I think it won't hold enough & I don't want to put some crazy crazy glue to jam it in place cuz when time comes & I'll sell it I want to put the original back in it's place! Pictures coming as soon as I get my pieces in the mail!
post #13 of 15 Old 08-20-2011, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey guys! I have finally installed my new shift knob! It is awesome! I will post some pics & tell you guys how I did it in the coming days or so...
post #14 of 15 Old 08-20-2011, 03:22 PM

Garage
glad to hear you completed the shifter change!

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #15 of 15 Old 05-14-2017, 02:46 PM

Did you ever post pics of your new shift knob? I had asked if anyone changed theirs out and someone referred me to this post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in