Question about HID - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 Old 09-17-2008, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Question about HID

I'm thinking about getting one of the HID kits I've seen. Has anyone put one on their Compass (or another car for that matter). How did it work? Was it difficult? Any troubles? Thanks Guys.

Steel blue metallic
'08 Compass Sport
2WD, PW/PL
As of 2/25/11 have almost 50,000 miles and no major problems to date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-17-2008, 09:23 PM

Re: Question about HID

HID's are extremly simple to install, i had them on my 95 grand cherokee and i just put them on a friends mazda speed3. basically the kit comes with 2 ballasts and 2 bulbs, ive been wanting to get HID's for my compass but i can't decide on whether or not to go with the 6k or 8k. but to install them all you need to do is take the old bulbs out, connect the stock harness to the ballast and then its plug and play from their, when all was said and done it took me about 45 min to install. hopefully that answers your questions.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-19-2008, 03:05 PM

Nick8387: To you retro-fit yours and your friend's? From what I've learned, that's the best method, as many HID installations end up being not aimed properly and blinding oncoming traffic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 09-19-2008, 09:21 PM

i actually never had the problem of my hid's being mis aimed, they were just extremly bright and blue which pissed off a lot of people. but i think that is because the kit i got was already retro fitted for my grand cherokee.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-20-2008, 04:34 AM

I'm buying an HID kit for the Compass sometime here next month. I have them for my other vehicle and love them. Rocking the 6k kit.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-20-2008, 02:26 PM

Garage

Be carefull, I heard bad stories about installing an H.I.D. kit on the Compass/Patriot. The computer detects the 23000 V startup voltage and also the lower 35 watts compared to regular 55W bulbs and turn them off after 5 sec. You need to buy a device that fools the computer, they sell them on eBay.

According to some research on the net:

HIDs operate on 35W whereas halogens operate on 55W. In some vehicles, the difference in current will trigger a "low beam failure indicator" or a "fast blinking error." As a result, your HID Conversion kit will not function properly.

Basically you need to have the computer think you still have regular 55W halogens hooked-up...

Some companies are selling what they call HID Canbus resistors or Canbus warning cancelling modules you add to your installation... You may want to try one of these!

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/CANBUS_Fix_p/cbfix.htm
http://www.cntuning.com/sdp/623241/4/pd/3504321.html
http://www.buytoonline.com/hid-kit-c...-audi-p64.html
http://unitesunshine.diytrade.com/sd...2-1287724.html

see this topic:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483383

FliPPeR
------------
2008 Bright Silver North Edition 4x4 manual trans.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-24-2008, 05:42 PM

i read the postings from that forum and i have a question did he get the retro fit kit because he is talking about grounding things and everytime i have done HID's i have never grounded anything so that is what is so wierd to me.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-16-2008, 08:39 PM

I did the 6k HID conversion on my 07 jeep compass, it was simple for the most part. but i ran into a problem, the lights would run without a problem as long as the car was off, but when it was running, if i turned the HID's on they would come on for 3 seconds and then shut off, (being under powered) so i had to wire in two relay's to keep them from shutting off. with only one relay they would strobe. but other than that, I haven't had any problems out of the HID conversion
post #9 of 20 Old 11-17-2008, 03:09 PM

did yo take any pictures of the installation because i want to see where you wired in these relays so i can do it myself. that and i want to see what the final product looks like
post #10 of 20 Old 09-15-2009, 04:29 AM

i`ve heard some cases saying that HID may cause ECU problems. and its reaction when changing lights is also not very fast.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-15-2009, 04:52 AM

Garage
I have a friend who had his vehicle impounded because of his HID's. The Department of Transportation and the RCMP and SGI told him that HID lights are illegal in sask unless they come from the factory with them. It's rarely enforced unless you're doing something stupid though. I have seen lots of wiring melt because of them though.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #12 of 20 Old 09-16-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey01 View Post
I have a friend who had his vehicle impounded because of his HID's. The Department of Transportation and the RCMP and SGI told him that HID lights are illegal in sask unless they come from the factory with them. It's rarely enforced unless you're doing something stupid though. I have seen lots of wiring melt because of them though.
They impounded the car because of his HID's?? That's stupidest thing I've heard
post #13 of 20 Old 09-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Bimmer, welcome to the forum.............tell us more about your Compass...........
please be aware that no signature link that includes items for sale are tolerated.

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 20 Old 09-17-2009, 04:47 AM

Garage
Law is law. I'm not a fan of HID, I'll stick with my regular lights.

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #15 of 20 Old 09-18-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey01 View Post
in ontario it seems to be acceptable.

I've ran 3000k and 6000k HIDs on my old honda civic as well as yellow lights and
never had an issue with police or anything else.
post #16 of 20 Old 09-18-2009, 08:10 PM

Garage
I have 5000K PIAA bulbs in mine and they work great. My buddy has them in his truck and I can see him coming from 6 blocks away. Cops told us that they don't like HID here because the light scatters more and it's harder to focus causing other drivers to be blinded by them. I imagine that there will eventually be something done about it, but everyone knows law is years behind technology.

post #17 of 20 Old 09-23-2009, 11:03 AM

ive got 8000k for the headlights and 8000k for fogs so i get a very nice blueey effect
post #18 of 20 Old 11-18-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compassed View Post
ive got 8000k for the headlights and 8000k for fogs so i get a very nice blueey effect
Me 2. I have got a 8000k for the headlights and 8000k for fogs. I looks really tight
post #19 of 20 Old 11-19-2009, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

Jack.........welcome to the forum..........took your link out of your signature.......

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 20 Old 11-19-2009, 10:30 AM

its got a better colour than halogen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in