2009 Compass Double Din Install ? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 23 Old 11-21-2011, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

2009 Compass Double Din Install ?

Will I need to do any cutting if I install a double din head unit? Or just need the bracket from Metra for it to fit? Was looking at a couple head units on ebay that looked good and am contemplating buying one shortly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 PM

Garage
I think you need the bezel for a navigation system (now your compass will be like one with navigation) , and then you install the kit from Metra for double din. Thats it.

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
post #3 of 23 Old 11-22-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! Then I would just need the wiring harness (Metra right?). And that's plugn & play?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-22-2011, 02:41 PM

Garage
I think its plug and play. Use metra harnesses.

Look at this post, there is something about 2011 compass:

http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...-question.html

im still looking after a radio and speakers.....

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
post #5 of 23 Old 11-22-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks... I'm assuming this is the bezel that I need to complete the install:

Jeep Compass, Patriot Navigational Bezel, OEM Mopar | eBay

It says it's a satin silver color, I can probably get the dark gray/black one at the dealer right?
post #6 of 23 Old 11-23-2011, 12:42 AM

Garage
i can't view the link from ebay at work, but the navigation radio is not a double din radio. i don't think it would be big enough.

Last edited by IRSmart; 11-23-2011 at 12:44 AM.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-23-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

It says in the auction that if I'm installing an aftermarket nav/radio then that's size I'd need. Says the openings on it are approx: 8.25" x 5.25".

Can anyone clarify? Thanks!
post #8 of 23 Old 11-23-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

The opening on the stock radio/bezel is 8.25" x 3.75". I just can't find a black bezel with the wider opening. Anybody know of anywhere to find one?
post #9 of 23 Old 11-24-2011, 01:59 AM

Garage
I would go to a trusted source, this site is full of install information and if you find a radio you like, they throw in the install kit for free. click on link below. hope it helps

Car Selector

39083364028_large.jpg
post #10 of 23 Old 11-24-2011, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Jeep wanted over $200 for the Nav bezel when I went to the dealer, wtf.
post #11 of 23 Old 11-24-2011, 02:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdominique1414 View Post
Jeep wanted over $200 for the Nav bezel when I went to the dealer, wtf.
yeah I know the dealer wants top dollar for a piece of plastic..lol.., the link i provided above if you buy the radio from them they throw in the bezel/harness/instructions..etc..they some good deals now.
post #12 of 23 Old 11-25-2011, 03:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305 View Post
yeah I know Chrysler wants top dollar for a piece of plastic..lol.., the link i provided above if you buy the radio from them they throw in the bezel/harness/instructions..etc..they some good deals now.
fixed that for you. remember, we only do what we're told.
post #13 of 23 Old 11-28-2011, 10:43 PM

Garage
Did you see this? $50 installation kit...

http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...html#post24285

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 23 Old 11-29-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDevil79 View Post
Did you see this? $50 installation kit...

http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...html#post24285
the 07-08 setups are different than 09+.
post #15 of 23 Old 11-29-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Got everything in today except for the radio adapter.

Took the dash apart and pulled out the stock radio and unplugged everything... I can't do the wiring though lol Had no clue where to begin with it so I'm gonna take it in tomorrow to get it professionally installed.
post #16 of 23 Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

and where are the pics now ????

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 23 Old 12-02-2011, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Haven't had time yet, sorry! I'll try and get some up later on today. The nav system was apparently slightly larger than double din (by maybe 1/8") so the installer had to file my dash bezel a little bit so it would fit. It looks good and works great. I do have two questions though.

1) How do I bypass the safety feature that doesn't allow aux/dvd use while driving?

2) The system is hooked up so when I put the transmission in reverse it switches to the Camera mode, should installing a camera be as easy as just hooking up the camera to the nav system? It doesn't seem like I'll have to wire it into anything else.

Thanks!
post #18 of 23 Old 12-02-2011, 08:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Haven't had time yet, sorry! I'll try and get some up later on today. The nav system was apparently slightly larger than double din (by maybe 1/8") so the installer had to file my dash bezel a little bit so it would fit. It looks good and works great. I do have two questions though.

1) How do I bypass the safety feature that doesn't allow aux/dvd use while driving?

2) The system is hooked up so when I put the transmission in reverse it switches to the Camera mode, should installing a camera be as easy as just hooking up the camera to the nav system? It doesn't seem like I'll have to wire it into anything else.

Thanks!
you need to run a wire to the back of the car to one of the backup light bulbs. that's how the car knows that it is in reverse. or, you could hook it up to a switch so that you can turn it on whenever you want.
post #19 of 23 Old 12-03-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
you need to run a wire to the back of the car to one of the backup light bulbs. that's how the car knows that it is in reverse. or, you could hook it up to a switch so that you can turn it on whenever you want.
Really? When I put the transmission in Reverse to back up, the head unit switches to Camera mode. It seems like it's already hooked up like that, just not with a camera plugged in.

Also, been noticing my GPS hasn't been acquiring satellites in a timely manner... would the maps need to be updated or something?
post #20 of 23 Old 12-03-2011, 08:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Really? When I put the transmission in Reverse to back up, the head unit switches to Camera mode. It seems like it's already hooked up like that, just not with a camera plugged in.

Also, been noticing my GPS hasn't been acquiring satellites in a timely manner... would the maps need to be updated or something?
let's clarify something first. did you install a factory nav system or aftermarket? and did you wire it yourself, or have someone else do it?

oh, and to bypass the security feature for the DVD while driving (assuming this is an aftermarket system), find the wire that they ran to the parking brake sensor. remove it from that sensor and ground it somehow (either by screwing it to bare sheet metal, splicing into the negative wire off the radio's wiring harness, etc). in a nut shell, that wire grounds out whenever the e-brake is pulled, so by grounding the wire intentionally, you're fooling the system into thinking that the e-brake is pulled all the time.

Last edited by IRSmart; 12-03-2011 at 08:52 PM.
post #21 of 23 Old 12-04-2011, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
let's clarify something first. did you install a factory nav system or aftermarket? and did you wire it yourself, or have someone else do it?

oh, and to bypass the security feature for the DVD while driving (assuming this is an aftermarket system), find the wire that they ran to the parking brake sensor. remove it from that sensor and ground it somehow (either by screwing it to bare sheet metal, splicing into the negative wire off the radio's wiring harness, etc). in a nut shell, that wire grounds out whenever the e-brake is pulled, so by grounding the wire intentionally, you're fooling the system into thinking that the e-brake is pulled all the time.
It's an aftermarket system and I had Best Buy install it (guy looked like Seth Rogan ha). Sounds easy enough to do.. locate that wire and ground it. Thanks! Still trying to get pics, sorry about the delay. I keep forgetting
post #22 of 23 Old 12-05-2011, 01:21 PM

Garage
ok so if it's an aftermarket system best buy most likely hooked the wire up that goes to the backup light already, so you don't have to do that. as long as the radio recognizes that the car is in reverse, you're fine and can just plug in a compatible backup camera.
post #23 of 23 Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Kicking myself for taking the "cheap" route with not getting a better quality navigation system in the car. The sound quality isn't nearly as good as the stock head unit and the nav system inside is just as bad. I'm getting the stock unit put back in this evening and replacing that in a week with a Clarion head unit I have coming in (tested it already and think it sounds great)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in