Rear View Camera - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 33 Old 04-26-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Rear View Camera

I'm soon (hopefully) going to be picking up my 2012 Limited

I got the 430N in it and im just curious is to if a backup camera can be installed into it since it is a CD/DVD head unit...

Anyone?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 04-27-2012, 01:18 PM

Garage
only if you get an aftermarket unit like the allgig or the lockpick and install an aftermarket camera on it. that's the only way.
post #3 of 33 Old 04-30-2012, 03:07 PM

this is why i just got the 230 Media Center. It had the sirius stuff installed saving me time and money. But for what you paid for the 430 almost $4k you an buy a Pioneer AVIC z140BH and a **** tons of extras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 PM

Garage
um...the 430 radio is a $600 option. if you like, send me $4k and i will send you two 430 radios
post #5 of 33 Old 05-01-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
um...the 430 radio is a $600 option. if you like, send me $4k and i will send you two 430 radios
When i called my local dealer about the 430 and 730 Systems they quoted me 2800-4000 depending on options. As a brand new vehicle an option is a lower figure as its installed from the factory less work to do if its all torn apart. The actually radios are about 1800-3000 from jeep minus the Flash, Antennas, harness's etc etc. Everything is extra. They had to quote me for the Sirius Antenna since mine was different with the 230, they had to quote for the UConnect Box, Uconnect harness, uconnect mic mirror, uconnect extension harness, Then you have to pay for the Dealer to flash and activate the features for the radio. With all parts labor and flash youre looking at about $4000.00. Dont believe me call your local dealer. They quoted like 8 hours at 160/hr for trim and electrical. Labor alone is over $1200.00.

So I just spent half the money and bought a Avic Z140BH, Sirius Boxes, iPod/iPhone connection (also works with droids) rear view camera etc etc and installed it myself. Retained Steering wheel controls, used factory sirius antenna, no splicing, no cutting nothing. You get a better audio system for half the money.
post #6 of 33 Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 PM

Garage
oh, i didn't realize you were talking after the fact. yes, it's a lot more expensive to do it after the car has been built. but the radio is very nice, and not that much of an upcharge from the factory radio. plus, for audiophiles who love the sun/sound group, it's a great combo to have the subwoofer and the 430 radio.
post #7 of 33 Old 05-01-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
oh, i didn't realize you were talking after the fact. yes, it's a lot more expensive to do it after the car has been built. but the radio is very nice, and not that much of an upcharge from the factory radio. plus, for audiophiles who love the sun/sound group, it's a great combo to have the subwoofer and the 430 radio.
yea from the factory is dirt cheap... after the fact to buy the radios OEM are outrageous!
post #8 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 09:42 PM

just to give you an idea of prices for radio and hook up fees....I have a 2012 north 4x4..with the 430 (RBZ) radio stock....but it does not have the u connect module..so the buttons for the bluetooth hands free phone are there, but don't do anything...I asked my dealership how much to add the uconnect module so I can use the hands free phone option..the salesman that I bought the jeep from can get it done for me for about $525 canadian funds..taxes in and installed...thats at his cost and selling me the module at wholesale price...would cost someone who walked in off the street about $1100-$1200 just for the uconnect option...not cheap at all!!!!

Last edited by boil359; 05-02-2012 at 09:46 PM.
post #9 of 33 Old 05-03-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i definitely would have gone the aftermarket route, but like mentioned IRSmart, it was only an approx $600 add-on which is not much for in indash Navi/cd/dvd head unit. I mean a backup camera isn't a necessity since i have no problems reverse parking. Just a nice add-on if some parallel parks too close, or something along those lines. I mean once i get this thing, its tough going from a tiny hatchback to something this size (even though its not that big)...definitely a little getting used to, but does seem better than the hassle it seems to get this to work. Thanks guys for your feedback.
post #10 of 33 Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4rdoso21 View Post
Yeah i definitely would have gone the aftermarket route, but like mentioned IRSmart, it was only an approx $600 add-on which is not much for in indash Navi/cd/dvd head unit. I mean a backup camera isn't a necessity since i have no problems reverse parking. Just a nice add-on if some parallel parks too close, or something along those lines. I mean once i get this thing, its tough going from a tiny hatchback to something this size (even though its not that big)...definitely a little getting used to, but does seem better than the hassle it seems to get this to work. Thanks guys for your feedback.
id still dicth the factory crap sell your OEM
post #11 of 33 Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boil359 View Post
thats at his cost and selling me the module at wholesale price...would cost someone who walked in off the street about $1100-$1200 just for the uconnect option...not cheap at all!!!!
that's incorrect. you bought the time-old line "this is my cost". he was giving it to you at retail, not wholesale. you really thing there's 200% markup in a $500 part? you can install it yourself, it's simple, and then just have the dealer program it to turn it on. i even went as far as to install the dual mic mirror and steering wheel buttons on mine and it wasn't that expensive, even considering the USD > CAD conversion.
post #12 of 33 Old 05-04-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
that's incorrect. you bought the time-old line "this is my cost". he was giving it to you at retail, not wholesale. you really thing there's 200% markup in a $500 part? you can install it yourself, it's simple, and then just have the dealer program it to turn it on. i even went as far as to install the dual mic mirror and steering wheel buttons on mine and it wasn't that expensive, even considering the USD > CAD conversion.
i was quoted very high as well for the uConnect equipment.
post #13 of 33 Old 05-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
i was quoted very high as well for the uConnect equipment.
if you guys were quoted four figures for u-connect i'd like to sell you guys some cars

Mopar EASy
post #14 of 33 Old 05-08-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
if you guys were quoted four figures for u-connect i'd like to sell you guys some cars

Mopar EASy
to maintain the warranty you have to have them do it and you have to purchase it from mopar. My Dealer wont install products i bring them and warranty it. Just like any other dealer out there. i was trying to maintain the warranty but after seeing all the costs i went aftermarket.
post #15 of 33 Old 05-08-2012, 05:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
to maintain the warranty you have to have them do it and you have to purchase it from mopar. My Dealer wont install products i bring them and warranty it. Just like any other dealer out there. i was trying to maintain the warranty but after seeing all the costs i went aftermarket.
all of that is false. and that kit is from mopar, that's mopar's online website. you have to bring it to the dealer to be programmed, but doing the install yourself will not void the warranty.
post #16 of 33 Old 05-08-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
all of that is false. and that kit is from mopar, that's mopar's online website. you have to bring it to the dealer to be programmed, but doing the install yourself will not void the warranty.
ha ha ok... Your dealer will not honor your warranty if you have fudged, added, or removed factory installed equipment. I used to be a Chevrolet F-Body mechanic, i know how warranties work. If you take your vehicle in with an additional part added and you just have them program it they WILL NOT warranty that produt if it faults itself or the radio. The CANNOT gurantee the install was done correctly. This VOIDS the warranty on that particular product. The item needs to be added to your system BY the DEALER for them to warranty ANY OF IT! If you go to any Jeep Website and look at the mopar market place youll see this disclaimer.

Lets say by chance you install this part and for some odd chance your dash burns out and you go in for warranty work and they see oh wait there is extra **** on here that didnt come with the vehicle. As the mechanic i would void your warranty, notify the service writer who then notes that on the vehicle history and then gets your Retail Prices on Flat rate and parts costs for the repair.

For you to maintain your factory warranty on factory equipment the dealer must install the equipment. period. Dont believe me ask your service writer.

I voided my warranty by adding what i did. If my Vehicle Dash Information system burns out, thats my problem since it directly ties to the can bus system and the radio, if the rear view mirror auto dimmer burns out thats my problem since i hd to interface my reverse camera with the reverse switch, if i blow the speakers, its my problem since i added a more powerful aftermarket radio, etc etc... get the picture.

Youre not an MECP installer, or an authorized dealer or mechanic with insurance to cover such incidents. When Best Buy installs prodcuts and it causes damage to your vehicle Best Buy pays for the repairs because the install VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY!

and just because you were irrtating me i looked it up for you...

https://mopar.chrome.com/WS/(S(timxx...s/warranty.pdf

Quote:
MOPAR 12 MONTH LIMITED WARRANTY
a. Mopar parts purchased via the Mopar eStore, or over the counter at an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Ram dealer are warranted against defects in workmanship or materials for 12 months/unlimited mileage for parts (exchange) only unless otherwise noted below. Parts installed on a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, or Ram vehicle by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, or Ram dealer are warranted for 12 months/12,000 miles for both parts and labor, or for 12 months/unlimited mileage for parts (exchange ) only, whichever is more favorable to the customer.
b. If the part has been installed on a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Ram vehicle by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Ram dealer, the Chrysler New Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the cost of towing a vehicle to the nearest authorized Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, or Ram dealer if the failure of the part causes the vehicle to be inoperative. There is no separate towing coverage for Mopar parts.
c. If a MOPAR part is installed in Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Ram vehicle by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, or Ram dealer, and if, while that part is still under warranty, it causes other parts to be damaged or fail, those other parts will be repaired or replaced under warranty, regardless of whether the other parts were covered by a Chrysler warranty at the time of failure. A MOPAR part used to replace a failed MOPAR part that is still under warranty is covered ONLY for the remainder of the replacement part’s existing warranty.
Notice it says AUTHORIZED DEALER ?

Last edited by RobertM; 05-08-2012 at 06:14 PM.
post #17 of 33 Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 PM

Garage
you're arguing two different things here. i said that adding the part does not void the car's factory warranty, you're saying that you must have the dealer install it to gain the benefit of the factory warranty if the part fails. two different things my friend.
post #18 of 33 Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
you're arguing two different things here. i said that adding the part does not void the car's factory warranty, you're saying that you must have the dealer install it to gain the benefit of the factory warranty if the part fails. two different things my friend.
installing the part VOIDS your factory warranty on related parts. You install a radio and **** up the canbus and fry your ECM... guess what not covered. Installing the parts yourself voids the warranty to maintain the warranty all repairs and installs must be done by the dealer. Call and ask your service writer. I dare you to walk in and say i installed this mopar remote start and now my car wont start. Theyll ok itll be $85 diag fee and then Heres the flat rate to fix what you did wrong. you install a mopar remote start and burn out your starter guess whats not covered... youre not a Mopar/jeep/chrysler certified tech therfore none of the warranty information applies to you. Thats from mopars e-store itself. Do it and see how fast they void the warranty.
post #19 of 33 Old 05-08-2012, 10:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
installing the part VOIDS your factory warranty on related parts. You install a radio and **** up the canbus and fry your ECM... guess what not covered. Installing the parts yourself voids the warranty to maintain the warranty all repairs and installs must be done by the dealer. Call and ask your service writer. I dare you to walk in and say i installed this mopar remote start and now my car wont start. Theyll ok itll be $85 diag fee and then Heres the flat rate to fix what you did wrong. you install a mopar remote start and burn out your starter guess whats not covered... youre not a Mopar/jeep/chrysler certified tech therfore none of the warranty information applies to you. Thats from mopars e-store itself. Do it and see how fast they void the warranty.
you're saying two different things. installing the part will not void your warranty. that means that you have no warranty whatsoever from that point forward. however, they can deny your warranty claim since you installed it on your own. that does not mean that your warranty has been voided.
post #20 of 33 Old 05-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
you're saying two different things. installing the part will not void your warranty. that means that you have no warranty whatsoever from that point forward. however, they can deny your warranty claim since you installed it on your own. that does not mean that your warranty has been voided.
yes you install it the part warranty and the warranty on the vehicleis now voided. YOURE NOT A CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN! call your service writer. Anything related to that part is no longer covered.
post #21 of 33 Old 05-09-2012, 06:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
yes you install it the part warranty and the warranty on the vehicleis now voided. YOURE NOT A CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN! call your service writer. Anything related to that part is no longer covered.
you can yell and screem at me all you like. fact is, you are still saying two different things in every post you make. there is a very clear difference between a warranty being VOIDED and parts not being COVERED. if you install the part yourself, and it causes issues to another part, it is not COVERED, but your entire warranty is not VOID. there is a difference that i don't think you're understanding.
post #22 of 33 Old 05-10-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
you can yell and screem at me all you like. fact is, you are still saying two different things in every post you make. there is a very clear difference between a warranty being VOIDED and parts not being COVERED. if you install the part yourself, and it causes issues to another part, it is not COVERED, but your entire warranty is not VOID. there is a difference that i don't think you're understanding.
No they will VOID your warranty. You have i think 5 seperate warranties if i recall. You install a part and **** something up you void the warranty. Your warranty will not be honored. Call your service writer and ask. I even posted the terminology from mopar itself.
post #23 of 33 Old 05-11-2012, 02:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
No they will VOID your warranty. You have i think 5 seperate warranties if i recall. You install a part and **** something up you void the warranty. Your warranty will not be honored. Call your service writer and ask. I even posted the terminology from mopar itself.
ok, so for argument's sake, answer this question for me. you buy the bluetooth kit, install it yourself. something goes wrong and it fries your TIPM, which needs to be replaced on your dime. now, a year later, a window switch fails (something internal isn't working, the problem is mechanical, not electrical). is the part covered or not covered?
post #24 of 33 Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
ok, so for argument's sake, answer this question for me. you buy the bluetooth kit, install it yourself. something goes wrong and it fries your TIPM, which needs to be replaced on your dime. now, a year later, a window switch fails (something internal isn't working, the problem is mechanical, not electrical). is the part covered or not covered?
nothing would be covered .... unless you got some magic two year warranty...

Switch is considered electrical. If you fried the TIPM any other electrical parts attached to that unit are now no longer covered. You would have to fight hella hard to make a dealer replace it. First thing that would pop up when you brought it in for that would be that you installed a product that fried an voided your electrical system. Im not a Jeep or Chrysler mech i was a GM we had BCMs, ECMs, and other seperate units that controlled other electrical systems. On a GM windows are controlled by the BCM and are not intergrated into the DATA BUS system the radio is on. So in a GM it wouldnt be voided.

The records of youre vehicle would indicate a previous problem that you caused in the electrical system and it would not be covered.

The computer would automatically switch it from warranty rate to book flat rate.
post #25 of 33 Old 06-02-2012, 01:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
nothing would be covered .... unless you got some magic two year warranty...

Switch is considered electrical. If you fried the TIPM any other electrical parts attached to that unit are now no longer covered. You would have to fight hella hard to make a dealer replace it. First thing that would pop up when you brought it in for that would be that you installed a product that fried an voided your electrical system. Im not a Jeep or Chrysler mech i was a GM we had BCMs, ECMs, and other seperate units that controlled other electrical systems. On a GM windows are controlled by the BCM and are not intergrated into the DATA BUS system the radio is on. So in a GM it wouldnt be voided.

The records of youre vehicle would indicate a previous problem that you caused in the electrical system and it would not be covered.

The computer would automatically switch it from warranty rate to book flat rate.
WRONG! your switch would be covered in that scenario, because your warranty is NOT voided in its entirety just because you installed the bluetooth yourself. i said the problem was mechanical, not electrical. the window switch has nothing to do with the bluetooth, so they would have no reason to not cover that part.

and in your post you claim right there that you were not a chrysler tech. i do happen to work at a chrysler dealer (and have had customers in the shop with an identical scenario to what i posted above). parts WERE covered because the warranty was NOT voided. stop spreading incorrect information if you don't know for sure.
post #26 of 33 Old 06-06-2012, 10:39 PM

Guys you don't need a camera. I have used a plastic lens that you stick on the back window with water and a squeegee to iron out bubbles looking thru the rear view mirror it will make things look far away because of the concentric line design but will give you a wide angle look if things are close. for example backing up if you can see the hood of the other car you are about 3 ft away and it is great for seeing kids behind you.
You can buy them at RV places but I got mine at Canadian Tire. They come in all sizes mine was about 10x8 for $20 and I had used it in my Isuzu 4x4, it is slightly yellow as it is 10 years old and I trimmed it to fit my Jeep.

Last edited by compassygp288; 06-06-2012 at 11:11 PM.
post #27 of 33 Old 06-08-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
WRONG! your switch would be covered in that scenario, because your warranty is NOT voided in its entirety just because you installed the bluetooth yourself. i said the problem was mechanical, not electrical. the window switch has nothing to do with the bluetooth, so they would have no reason to not cover that part.

and in your post you claim right there that you were not a chrysler tech. i do happen to work at a chrysler dealer (and have had customers in the shop with an identical scenario to what i posted above). parts WERE covered because the warranty was NOT voided. stop spreading incorrect information if you don't know for sure.
switches arent mechanical they are electrical, if you install something and it fries your electrical system and the switch burns out due to that surge then no its not covered you idiot. The only mechanical part of your door is the handle, and the window regulator mechanism. Switches are ELECTRICAL! Its not my fault your dealership is retarded...

If you install ANY electrical device in your car and as a result of that electrical components are damaged they elctrical system is no longer covered under warranty plain and simple. Even the mopar warranty i posted high above states this... Dont argue with me argue with MOPAR.... You install anaftermarket amp and sub and it draws too much current and damages your charging system guess whats not covered... as a result of that charging system damage it also damages the ECM guess whats not covered... Oh but wait its just part of the radio... idiot.
post #28 of 33 Old 06-09-2012, 01:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
switches arent mechanical they are electrical...
sorry, i had to stop you there. you're telling me something that MOVES isn't mechanical?

Quote:
...if you install something and it fries your electrical system and the switch burns out due to that surge then no its not covered you idiot. The only mechanical part of your door is the handle, and the window regulator mechanism. Switches are ELECTRICAL! Its not my fault your dealership is retarded...
i have worked at a few chrysler dealerships, and they all have that policy, but i guess they're all "retarded". or maybe, just maybe, you're wrong here. nah, that can't be the case. you're always right, even on things you're unqualified to be this emphatic about

Quote:
If you install ANY electrical device in your car and as a result of that electrical components are damaged they elctrical system is no longer covered under warranty plain and simple. Even the mopar warranty i posted high above states this... Dont argue with me argue with MOPAR.... You install anaftermarket amp and sub and it draws too much current and damages your charging system guess whats not covered... as a result of that charging system damage it also damages the ECM guess whats not covered... Oh but wait its just part of the radio... idiot.
let me break this one down. for once and for f**king all, YOU ARE SAYING TWO THINGS! saying that a component or system would not be covered is NOT the same as voiding the warranty! and if you have subsiquent failures after you pay for your repair (ie in my example above), THEY'RE COVERED because you paid for the repair, had it done, and the shop can no longer say that your part caused the damage. of course it's a case by case basis, but there's not some magical button in the system that voids your ENTIRE warranty once and for all if they see you put in a radar detector. stop spreading incorrect information if you don't know what the f**k you're talking about, because obviously you have no idea. i don't care if you were a mechanic for GM, mazda, lexus, or NASA, you're wrong, plain and simple, and your own "source" proved it.
post #29 of 33 Old 06-09-2012, 03:47 PM

Glad to see this post. I was thinking of a camera, but was wondering how one of these would work. Had one on my COE Freightliner's passenger's window years ago. Now I will shop around for one. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compassygp288 View Post
Guys you don't need a camera. I have used a plastic lens that you stick on the back window with water and a squeegee to iron out bubbles looking thru the rear view mirror it will make things look far away because of the concentric line design but will give you a wide angle look if things are close. for example backing up if you can see the hood of the other car you are about 3 ft away and it is great for seeing kids behind you.
You can buy them at RV places but I got mine at Canadian Tire. They come in all sizes mine was about 10x8 for $20 and I had used it in my Isuzu 4x4, it is slightly yellow as it is 10 years old and I trimmed it to fit my Jeep.

Bob

"What do you mean, my Compass doesn't have a compass?"
post #30 of 33 Old 06-11-2012, 01:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2otoo View Post
Glad to see this post. I was thinking of a camera, but was wondering how one of these would work. Had one on my COE Freightliner's passenger's window years ago. Now I will shop around for one. Thanks for the info.
it would certainly be a cheaper alternative, but i've always been about clean installs. i've always seen these as the lazy alternative, plus IMO it would block normal vision out of the rear of the vehicle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in