Vibration or Rattling with Big Bass? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 31 Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Vibration or Rattling with Big Bass?

I know I have the big sound package, but I get a fair amount of what sounds like the plastic body panels vibrating when there's a lot of bass ..

Anyone else getting that?

I know if you're building a serious stereo that vibration dampening foam would be part of the plan ... but I don't know it that's very lease friendly.

2007 Compass North (Sport 26E), 4x4, Inferno Red, Boston Acoustics Sound System, Power Sunroof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-21-2007, 01:14 AM
Administrator

One thing I do know is there is a good bit of insulation on this car. The only thing I hear in mine, is if I am listening to any music that has any kind of bass in it, at a loud volume, I get a popping sound, in time to the music. I don't listen to it deafeningly loud or anything, but a little volume is nice. Figured it was just me, but it is an annoyance. It is just hard to get it to that perfect volume to tell if it is actually the car or just a particular song. I don't think I hear it playing the same song on my stereo in the house, but will have to listen harder. Glad to know I am not the only one noticing, but all those surveys I have gotten in the mail, I have made a point to mention it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #3 of 31 Old 03-23-2007, 01:02 PM

I get the same thing

Thats why I want to get an EQ that has presets, so you can just push a button to adjust the settings :lol:

2007 Jeep Compass Limited 4 X 2 RED

Flybynight (LVL 60 Undead Mage 300 Tailor/300 enchanting)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 03-23-2007, 02:33 PM

wierd, i havent experienced anything yet, but i will keep my ears open.

"There is no finish line in the race for quality...."
post #5 of 31 Old 10-01-2007, 04:29 PM

I've noticed that when listening to FM radio but not from Sirius. I haven't listened to any CD's yet. I'm heading on a trip this weekend so maybe I'll throw in a CD and check it out.

2007 Jeep Compass North Ed. Jeep Green
Manual 5 speed, 2.4L 16val 4x2
Boston Sound w Sirius Sat Radio
post #6 of 31 Old 11-09-2007, 09:01 PM

i've noticed it as well, especially with rock songs with heavy bass. I have the Boston Acoustic sound system, and have noticed on some songs that when i look in the rearview, it looks like the liftgate window is vibrating.

and it does pick up on bass from cds more than my stereo. i really noticed it when i was listening to a cd a group made on their own, and the production quality wasn't that good. at home, or on the mp3 player, all yo could hear was the music, but in the compass, you could hear them breathing into the mics.

all-in-all, i just manually adjust my bass settings way low to make up for it, so i don't blow the speakers (or my ears).
post #7 of 31 Old 02-13-2008, 11:42 AM

Re: Vibration or Rattling with Big Bass?

I have this problem too and my Compass is currently in the shop seeing what they can do about it. You shouldn't have to turn down the bass in a brand new car to avoid it making noises. I'm in another Compass in the meantime and there's no problem with the radio in it so I guess we'll see.
post #8 of 31 Old 02-13-2008, 02:56 PM

Do you have the factory basic or the Boston Acoustic system? I have the Boston Acoustic in mine and have no problems. Even when you turn it up :mrgreen:

post #9 of 31 Old 02-15-2008, 12:28 PM

There is a problem with the non-premium speakers. Took it in for an oil change today, complained about a distorted speaker, they have a notice to replace all non-premium 6x9 speakers so they will be replacing them all.

Not like I got an actual notice in the mail or anything though.
post #10 of 31 Old 02-15-2008, 01:18 PM

Is the speaker replacement program for '07 or '08 Compasses?
post #11 of 31 Old 02-15-2008, 03:34 PM

Mine is an '07, all I can tell you. Makes me wonder what else is prone to breaking that they haven't told me about. I'll probably find out after the 1 year bumper to bumper.
post #12 of 31 Old 02-15-2008, 07:25 PM

Thanks Double J. We have an '08 and the speakers sound fine so far. I've noticed a number of issues on the forum that seem to effect only the '07 and not the '08. Hope your luck holds out! The issues seem to be sporadic, and not with all vehicles.
post #13 of 31 Old 02-16-2008, 03:24 PM

Same thing happened to my door speakers in my Neon. I just replaced them myself though. I found that the fabric had started pulling away from the magnetic coil.

post #14 of 31 Old 02-16-2008, 04:26 PM

Garage
Hidden Recall???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J
There is a problem with the non-premium speakers. Took it in for an oil change today, complained about a distorted speaker, they have a notice to replace all non-premium 6x9 speakers so they will be replacing them all.

Mmmmmmmmm?
Hidden recall???
Interesting!

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #15 of 31 Old 02-16-2008, 10:43 PM

Re: Hidden Recall???

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe
Mmmmmmmmm?
Hidden recall???
Interesting!
Perhaps there's a TSB on it (Technical Service Bulletin). There is no such thing as a hidden recall, however TSBs are kind of "secret". Recalls only affect safety equipment and must be fixed for free by law. TSBs on the other hand, are put out by manufacturers and are not "mandatory". They address specific known issues. If you're under warranty a TSB may be used to repair a specific thing for free (because of the warranty). If you are out of warranty then the dealer could use the TSB to fix something specific (on your dime).

Just don't want anyone to get the idea there's secret/hidden recalls

You can search for TSBs for your vehicle here:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/tsbsearch.cfm

You can search for recalls for your vehicle by entering the VIN here:
http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep ... ame=recall
post #16 of 31 Old 03-17-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Perhaps there's a TSB on it
Yes, there is, it is 08-024-07 REV. A
"This bulletin involves replacing all 6x9" base spekers in the vehicle"

Applies to vehicles MDH 0226XX - 0904XX

Rgds, Stacker
post #17 of 31 Old 04-28-2008, 07:00 PM

All speakers replaced. Sounds better now
post #18 of 31 Old 05-11-2008, 06:31 AM

im getting a poping clicking type of noise on my premium sound system... if i have the radio or cd going but turn down the volume to off or very low I hear a ticking sound... as i raise the volume it drowns out the ticking... really annoying...frig.

"God is a leafs fan. Thats why the sky is blue and the snow is white"
post #19 of 31 Old 11-09-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J

I also had this distortion only in 1 speaker, dirivers side front. Had the dealer replace it, waited 1 month for the parts to arrive. 2 months later the other speaker started as well. We just called the dealer and waited 1 1/2 months and had to call the dealer back. It was sitting in stock and they replaced it that week.
Carl
post #20 of 31 Old 02-19-2009, 05:41 PM

i have the non premium speakers too, but they work just fine. is there any possibility i have the better stock speakers? it was a dealer demo car prior to me buying it. its a 2007 compass sport with basic stereo, but i just bought it around 2 months ago. is there any way for me to check if i have the better speakers or not? just to avoid the problem with them later. if anyone can help me itd be greatly appreciated!
post #21 of 31 Old 06-06-2009, 07:55 PM

I have a Question about the head unit. Does anyone know if the stock radio is equipt with RCA inputs in the back. I am wanting to hook up some subs and dont want to replace the stock head unit. If not, is there a harness that you can purchase that wires into the stock harness? Any input helps.

Thanks, Eric

2007 JEEP Compass Rallye
1984 BMW 533i

post #22 of 31 Old 06-08-2009, 06:42 PM

Vibration or Rattling with Big Bass

LOL i have the same problem with vibration when i pump basshunter & ll Divo up . Do i need a new quality stereo system or is it better speaker output needed?
My cars going in Thursday to Mr T for bodykit & few other modifications.A really good sound system would be finish it off.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Cj Carolyne Jayne
post #23 of 31 Old 10-22-2009, 05:06 AM

I very rarely will get that vibration but its not to obvious, also my side mirrors vibrate due the the bass i keep it on +8

Black is Back

2007 Jeep Compass Limited, Rallye Bodykit,Chrome Accents, Madass Wheels ect.

Its my Dads Laser Cutting Company

post #24 of 31 Old 10-22-2009, 03:26 PM

There are a lot of factory systems that have this problem (the popping/rattling). The basic issue with stock speakers is that, in new vics, the can handle more RMS (continuous power) than older vics, BUT they have a lot shallower cone travel.

In other words, your speakers are handleing the power with no problem, but the cones are "bottoming out." That's why there's not a lot of distortion, but the "pop/bump."
post #25 of 31 Old 10-25-2009, 07:16 AM

Turned my bass to +7, +8 vibrates just abit to much

Black is Back

2007 Jeep Compass Limited, Rallye Bodykit,Chrome Accents, Madass Wheels ect.

Its my Dads Laser Cutting Company

post #26 of 31 Old 11-11-2009, 10:37 AM

Well i have never experienced such strange experience

Friny
post #27 of 31 Old 11-17-2009, 11:18 PM

Well I dont have the premium set up, but I did replace all of the speaker with nice coax's, as well as added 4 tweeters and two 8 inch woofers (ask me where I put those lol). I've noticed some rattling myself, on the passenger side, but found it was actually the seat belt cloth beating against the door. Simple fix there ; )

Run from me if you want to live.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 (4x4 all the way baby!)
post #28 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 11:26 AM

Garage
I have the Boston 9 speaker on a 09. I have noticed rattling when I turn the bass up, but usually i have it on about 25-30 when I'm driving alone, so the music pretty much drowns it out. I might just check the passenger side seat belt lol...

I have noticed that from outside the vehicle you can hear the tailgate rattling to the beat. I reckon most cars with a tailgate are gonna rattle if you put a sub woofer in them. From the inside it sounds like the plastic interior in the back (around the sub) is rattling too. I guess a bit of double sided tape might fix that in certain places. When I have the time I will do some investigating and see if the rattles can be fixed, but like I said it only happens with the bass at 7-9 and at high volume I can't hear anything...lol

That said, I change the bass setting for each CD, cause sometimes I find that you get a much clearer bassline/kick etc by dropping the bass to a 6/7, and others you can crank it up to 8. Now when you get a song like 'Warp' by the bloody beetroots (if you like techno and havent heard it, check it out), you are gonna get rattle but I think its a fair trade off!
post #29 of 31 Old 03-26-2010, 09:55 PM

Good place to check: if you have an aftermarket license plate cover over your plate, you can get a lot of rattle from those. I know I do lol.

Run from me if you want to live.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 (4x4 all the way baby!)
post #30 of 31 Old 03-26-2010, 10:50 PM

Garage
I was told that the 6X9 standard speakers are decent quality three way. Mine play just fine even at fairly loud volume. Remember too, CD's are not all alike. Some are recorded with great equipment and some are not. I would imagine that if you play a standard FM station real loud you would get a lot more distortion cause you are actually amplifying all the normal distortion inherent in AM and FM transmissions. They are very dirty. I am an audiophile and own a top notch dual monoblock amp and dynamic enhancer pushed through Infinity RS3B speakers at 200watts per channel/4ohms. So I know what a high end two channel playback sounds like. I am not going to change out my Compass system for a high end one because at speed, the noise of the car detracts from the sound anyway no matter what level of system you install. It's a car, not your living room.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in