Jeep Compass Forum

Jeep Compass Forum (https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/)
-   Audio Systems (https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/audio-systems/)
-   -   '07 Compass - Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD (https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/audio-systems/2044-07-compass-pioneer-avh-p4200dvd.html)

JefRhi 04-01-2010 01:28 AM

'07 Compass - Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD

5 Attachment(s)
2007 Compass Sport with the new 2010 Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD head unit. Installation took about 2 hours total.

Parts used:

Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD - Head Unit
Axxess XSVI-6502 - Wiring Harness/CAN Bus Adapter
Metra 40-CR10 - Antenna Adapter
Metra 99-6510 - Double DIN Dash Kit
82211589 - Jeep Compass REC Radio Installation Kit

JefRhi 04-01-2010 01:33 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Additional Pictures

Feel for life 04-01-2010 01:56 AM

Wow what a nice install you have there...........now the question how much ???

If only I could see one of those in a 2009 model.......the center console is totally different.....

JefRhi 04-01-2010 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feel for life (Post 9509)
Wow what a nice install you have there...........now the question how much ???

If only I could see one of those in a 2009 model.......the center console is totally different.....

I shopped A LOT! I spent about 2-3 months searching, reading and documenting all the different options for double DIN head units. I was really tempted to go with one of the off-brand units. They can be found starting at about $150 and some come with iPod and Satellite connections built in, but ultimately, I decided to go with the Pioneer since it's at least a well known brand. I've seen people get into heated arguments over "Who makes the best audio equipment." so I won't even go there...

I chose the AVH-P4200DVD over the other known names for a few reasons; I'm borderline OBSESSED with symmetry and a "clean" look, iPod control from the head unit is integrated for both audio AND video and all options are modular for flexibility.

I had budgeted $500 and by making a couple of lucky scores on eBay I was able to come in at $512.34.

I got the dash kit, harness and antenna adapter all on eBay for a total of $41.63. I found the nav bezel at a dealer in PA for $57.97 with shipping and the head unit was $412.74 shipped.

I am very happy with the head unit and I feel good about the total cost. I'd like to add the Bluetooth and XM modules, but that'll probably wait 'til next year. Thanks for the compliment!

Jeff

JefRhi 04-02-2010 02:57 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Today I installed some tweeters in the dash. The speakers came from WalMart, $24.00, for 2 x 1" dome tweeters.

The dash openings have cardboard blanks covering them and they were the perfect size to mount the tweeters in. I used a 2 1/8" holesaw, installed the speakers and then screwed the blanks back in place. The factory wires were easily pulled out through the dash, but I couldn't find where they were on the radio harness end, so I fished the wires already attached to the speakers over to the radio opening and connected them to the front door speaker wires.

The next issue to take care of was the "Parking Brake" wire from the new head unit. I knew I was going to "cheat" so I could override the lockout feature, but I didn't want to end up with a switch sticking out from the dash anywhere and I also wasn't going to pay $30 for a pre-built module...

My Sport doesn't have any extra goodies, so there are 2 blanks in the panel for the traction control switch, hazard flasher switch and passenger airbag indicator. After disassembling the panel I saw that there was a clear opening where I could run wiring out the back without damaging the circuit board. I also saw that the blanks could pivot just like the traction button if the bottom was trimmed about 3/16". I trimmed the blank, snapped it back in and it pivoted beautifully! Next was a switch...

I found a micro switch at Radio Shack that fit after a little trimming with the dremel inside the button socket. Once it was in place the button pivoted just enough to operate the switch. I hot glued the switch in place and reassembled the panel. The sping pressure inside the switch wasn't enough to push the button blank back out, but turns out that the hot glue is just flexible enough to act like a spring and it causes the button to return after being pushed...it all went much better than I had hoped. It works SWEET!

The switch common is connected to ground and the normally closed (NC) contact is connected to the parking brake wire.

One push and the head unit thinks the brake was released and reapplied (the sequence Panasonic requires) and we have video!

I hope that ramble is at least somewhat coherent, maybe the pictures will help...

Next will be an amp and sub, then maybe I'll get lucky and blow a door speaker so I'll have a good excuse to replace them too!

JefRhi 04-02-2010 02:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Tweeter pictures...

raff 04-02-2010 08:32 PM

Great work there falla, hanx for sharing.

Raff.

wingzero0 04-05-2010 12:48 PM

How did you wire the tweeters?

Daniel:)

Lunch Box 04-07-2010 01:22 AM

Well, if you have to get a high frequency cross over for each tweeter but after that, its just a matter of running the wire into a left or right channel output on the back of the head unit.

jpfarre 10-02-2010 07:04 AM

Hello

I want to install an Pioneer Z120bt unit on my compass 08 but anyone know how to install and where they are the Car speed signal input and the Reverse gear signal input.

Thanks

Cherokee 10-07-2010 06:35 AM

Welcome to the forum jpfarre since I see you're new here! I don't have an answer to your question, but hang in there and someone should chime in on this soon! :)

- Cherokee

compassman24 10-15-2010 03:26 AM

Hey I just bought a 2007 Jeep Compass Rallye edition in which I took the Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD out of my old car so I have the pigtail harness already but I noticed that you have a CAN bus adapter. Was that an accessory that you just added for something else or is that required in the Compasses?

jeepguy2010 10-15-2010 05:45 AM

nice install.... looks sweet!

08NorthSport 11-19-2010 01:25 AM

ok, so i picked up the XSVI-6502 , wired it all up, but when i connected my stereo nothing happend, then when i stared my jeep the check engine light came on. any body know why this happened?????? i am far from new to stereos but this one puzzled me