iPod Charging - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 05-12-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

iPod Charging

Hi everybody:

Just (five days ago) we received our new Compass Limited and we are enjoying it thoroughly.

The car came with a Code RES radio and the 16-pin connecting cable (via the glove compartment plug) for the iPod.

The vehicle's manual indicates that once connected and synchronized with the UCI, the iPod should start charging as well.

We listened to the iPod for a few days and then realized that the battery had totally run down. I recharged it at home and reconnected the iPod to the radio. It works again (i.e. I can hear it and can control it through the radio switches) but on its screen it has a message that the connection does not provide for charging.

The manual says that this radio (RES) should charge.

Any comments or advice?

Thx.
Compass_Heading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-12-2010, 10:31 PM

I presume the cable plugging into the IPOD is the Apple white cable which came with it. Some newer I devices, ITouch and IPhone will not support a number of USB 5V sources which typically could charge an earlier IPod generation. The previously mention models look for another signal and different voltage before allowing charging. This may be the case and if you are not using the Apple cable then use it plugging it into the USB port in the glove box. I don't have that in my ride, Unfortunately, too expensive for them to put a cable from the stereo to the glove box.

Oh well.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Hi:

It is not an Apple cable. It is a cable that actually came with the vehicle (it was neatly wrapped in a plastic bag and in the glove compartment) and which connects to a plug within the glove compartment itself.

I believe that it is called an "interface cable" that allows the "Universal Consumer Interface" to connect with the iPod.

I have checked some more and now realize that shutting down the car (or turning off the radio) does not shut down the iPod and therefore it easily (and obviously) quickly drains the battery.

I am obviously still learning ....

Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-13-2010, 03:21 AM

What IPod do you have? Model Generation because as I mentioned the ITouch and IPhone will not charge from a generic Ipod charger. Thing changed about the time of the Ipod Video/5 gen Ipod's. You could contact Chrysler to find out which models are supported. There may be a software update for the Stero as well.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-13-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again.
My iPod is a Nano 5th gen. and it is possible that there are some software conflicts.
I'll drop Chrysler a line or visit the dealership.
I'll report back with my findings!
post #6 of 9 Old 05-13-2010, 02:46 PM

If you know someone with an earlier model. Have them plug theirs into the Compass. All the Ipods have charging indicator. Just look at that for each one. Only take 20-30 sec max to see.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 9 Old 05-23-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Well, I found a solution. The truth is that as usual with electronics, one of the kids found it.

Not a cheap one ($40), but a solution nevertheless. Better that than having the music stop halfway to the destination.

It is a small device called a FIREWIRE to USB adapter, that modifies the connection between the Uconnect's interface cable (originally designed for much older iPod models) and the new iPod (designed for USB charging). The iPod now charges while the ignition is set to ON.

I bough mine at Best Buy. While there appear to be a few on the market, the one I got can be found at:

www <dot> griffintechnology <dot> com
go to "products"
an there look for "firewire-to-usb-converter"

Apparently I cannot post the direct link as I don't yet have 15 posts ...
post #8 of 9 Old 05-23-2010, 05:32 PM

Good to hear. I don't know if you checked with Jeep dealer(s) but they should support the current IPods out there. Software update to the Stereo or such.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 9 Old 08-21-2010, 07:40 PM

Hmm..

Interesting problem. When I got my jeep I immediately had an HD Radio unit installed. It has tagging and IPOD dockingish features. It also gets excellent reception.

MP
HD Rado Enthusiast
http://hdradionow.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in