Radio volume control not working - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tripplec

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 08-07-2015, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Radio volume control not working

Not expecting much help on this issue either, but I guess it never hurts to ask.
See this thread (and the underwhelming amount of responses) for more information.

Because of the issue, I am in the habit of turning the radio off when I shut the vehicle off. Main reason is because I listen mainly to audiobooks and if it shuts off or doesn't come on, I lose my place. There are still occasional, but random times when it doesn't come on or immediately shuts off when I start the vehicle. It is normally fine when I start it back up the next time.

Anyway, the issue I have now is that the volume won't turn up. It turns down fine, but not up. So now, my radio volume is at zero. When I turn the knob CW, nothing happens. When I turn it CCW, it shows the volume bar. Based on this, with the other issue, I am beginning to think that the radio itself is on its way out.

Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas? Do I need to look at getting an aftermarket unit or a replacement from a junk yard?

*fingers crossed, hoping someone replies*

2008 Jeep Compass
FWD, 2.4L, CVT
120,000m
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-14-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikeryn View Post
Not expecting much help on this issue either, but I guess it never hurts to ask.
See this thread (and the underwhelming amount of responses) for more information.

Because of the issue, I am in the habit of turning the radio off when I shut the vehicle off. Main reason is because I listen mainly to audiobooks and if it shuts off or doesn't come on, I lose my place. There are still occasional, but random times when it doesn't come on or immediately shuts off when I start the vehicle. It is normally fine when I start it back up the next time.

Anyway, the issue I have now is that the volume won't turn up. It turns down fine, but not up. So now, my radio volume is at zero. When I turn the knob CW, nothing happens. When I turn it CCW, it shows the volume bar. Based on this, with the other issue, I am beginning to think that the radio itself is on its way out.

Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas? Do I need to look at getting an aftermarket unit or a replacement from a junk yard?

*fingers crossed, hoping someone replies*
Hey Kikeryn,

I would like to research this info for you. What is year is your Compass?
post #3 of 4 Old 08-14-2015, 11:21 PM

I believe the OEM radios have a digital volume control. No potentiometer and it is an endless control knob pulsing a signal to the inner workings on sound up/down.

Short of a radio reset it may in fact have a unusual fault. Disconnecting the power to it for a while 10-20min may get it to reset when reconnected. Removing the -ve of the battery connection for this time may do it. But I am not certain.

Good luck.
BusterOz likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-15-2015, 12:45 AM

Garage
Sounds like a cold boot is required

Find the radio fuse and pull it out, count up to 10 and put it back in?

I don't think there is a security code required?

I gather steering wheel controls don't work either?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in