Upgrading all speakers to JL, with pics - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 25 Old 05-15-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up Upgrading all speakers to JL, with pics

Went to the "Car audio gone wild" show this weekend and picked up 3 sets of JL audio speakers for $220. i will be keeping the boston amps, sub, and 6 disc head unit for now. for the doors i got 2 sets of JL component 6.5", the dash got the tweeters from the front set of door speakers. for the hatch i got 3.5" 2-way JL's. i will post pictures of the progress, any questions ask away

The goods

Remove the A-pillar with the 1 screw that holds it, then gently lift up the grill over the tweeter. it is held in by clips.

2.5" Boston from dash

fabricated an adapter bracket

tweeters done

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(O[][][][]O)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

good luck.............

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #3 of 25 Old 05-16-2011, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage

3.5" Boston from hatch

New JL 3.5 2-way

the back section of this is held on by 8 screws

tuesday i am getting my adapter plates made to go from 6x9 to 6.5 made at my local audio shop, install will happen wed more pics to follow

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)

Last edited by Shecky; 05-16-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage

6x9 Boston

Adapter plates

Front speaker

Rear speaker

And now i have 8 Boston speakers sitting on the shelf, the next project audio wise will be switching the head unit.

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #5 of 25 Old 05-18-2011, 01:34 PM

Garage
How do the new speakers sound? I am curious about replacing my stock 6x9's with something with more Bass and crisper highs. I just have the stock sound system without a subwoofer. I would love to add one though...

B~~L~~A~~C~~K~~~~N~~I~~G~~H~~T~~L~~I~~N~~G
May 2011 Jeep Compass of the Month Winner!

post #6 of 25 Old 05-19-2011, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
almost any after market speaker would sound better than the factory speakers. Even the boston speakers i pulled out had paper tweeters. i cant wait to remove the factory sub all it does is rattle. im gonna have to take the panel out again and try something different to stop that.

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #7 of 25 Old 05-19-2011, 02:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
almost any after market speaker would sound better than the factory speakers. Even the boston speakers i pulled out had paper tweeters. i cant wait to remove the factory sub all it does is rattle. im gonna have to take the panel out again and try something different to stop that.
How hard would it be to find the sub panel and replace it in the Compass? I would love to add a sub, but I just have the basic radio and speakers and I would hate to have to have a big box sitting in the back. I would rather have the factory setup so I can keep the space in the back.

post #8 of 25 Old 05-21-2011, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
i have plans for an 8" box that fits in where the cubby hole is you would have to fabricate a cover for the hole. then mount the amp somewhere under the rear deck.

thanks to the patriot forum for this
8" Sub Project, What do you think? - Jeep Patriot Forums

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #9 of 25 Old 05-21-2011, 08:24 PM

Garage
Hmmm, I guess I have never really taken a look at the higher end Compass'. Is that the original location for the factory sub?

I have seen a few mods like that in the Patriot forums. Does a lot of those same mods work for the Compass'?

post #10 of 25 Old 05-21-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
yup that is the location for the factory sub, the patriot and the compass are based on the same platform so there is alot of stuff that is the same in the two vehicles.

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #11 of 25 Old 05-21-2011, 10:36 PM

Garage
I will have to look into that. Hopefully, it is just a little insert for the sub instead of replacing the entire sidewall. I could take a look around the local junk yards and look for that or see what I can find at the dealership.

Is there anyone that has made the switch that doesn't normally have the factory sub?

post #12 of 25 Old 05-21-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The guy who made that thread from the patriot forum had the normal sound system. Looks like he popped out the rivets that hold the cubby hole.

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #13 of 25 Old 05-23-2011, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
i wasnt very happy with the 1" tweeter in the dash, the lows and highs had too much distance between them. So like any good installer i cut the holes bigger and stuffed in my set of 3.5" JL 2-way speakers. I am very happy with the sound of everything now. i used a utility knife, but a dremel tool would be alot easier.

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #14 of 25 Old 05-23-2011, 09:32 PM

Garage
The dash must be different on the 2011's because it looks like it is a one piece on mine so that you cannot just pop off that part to get to the tweeter like yours.

Thanks for the info and links to the Patriot Forum. I will have to check some more stuff out. I am really interested in getting new speakers and especially a sub.

I have not had an aftermarket sub system in a long time! My last vehicle was a 2007 Ford Focus with the Sony system in it and 8" sub in the trunk. It was okay, but the lows were not very powerful, at least not compared to my previous systems which have composed of 2 10's and 1 12" on previous builds.

post #15 of 25 Old 05-24-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNightling View Post
2007 Ford Focus with the Sony system in it and 8" sub in the trunk. It was okay, but the lows were not very powerful, at least not compared to my previous systems which have composed of 2 10's and 1 12" on previous builds.
Thats exactly how the sub is that comes with the boston system, it chokes on the lows. every day i get a little more tempted to put in my 2 amps and 2 12's and destroy my cargo space

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #16 of 25 Old 05-24-2011, 01:41 PM

Garage
I would love to have a couple of subs in the back, but I need the cargo space too.

I wonder if there is a mod for mounting the spare somewhere's else (just in case for emergencies) and stash a sub in it's place.........?

post #17 of 25 Old 05-26-2011, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
roof or hatch?, i would rather not carry a spare than to stick one where it didnt belong. unless of course it was a road trip then that spare is a must. im thinking when i replace my head unit im gonna build that 8" box and stick something decent in there. the factory sub box wouldnt have enuf air inside for a decent sub

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #18 of 25 Old 05-26-2011, 02:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
roof or hatch?, i would rather not carry a spare than to stick one where it didnt belong. unless of course it was a road trip then that spare is a must. im thinking when i replace my head unit im gonna build that 8" box and stick something decent in there. the factory sub box wouldnt have enuf air inside for a decent sub
I am not sure. It is just a thought because I really don't want to lose any cargo space, but still want some decent bass. Oh, sounds like a rap...

Cruizin' in my Compass
You know you can't touch this!
Needed some Bass
Without losing any space!

I know I shouldn't dare,
But I ditched the spare.
Flat tire, gotta wait,
But at least it sounds great!

post #19 of 25 Old 05-29-2011, 04:36 PM

Garage
Great upgrade!

I love your mod install. Regarding the factory sub. Yes there is rattling coming from that area but I found out that its the seatbelt guides that make the noise when I did some exploration. I fixed the problem.
post #20 of 25 Old 05-30-2011, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
thank you. ya mine was the same thing regarding the seatbelt rattle. i also added sound deadening material between the sub and the body. now im rattle free , for now.

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #21 of 25 Old 06-03-2011, 06:15 PM

Garage
Hmmm, I wonder if Crutchfield is pulling my leg or if this will really work in the spare tire well?

Q-Customs Factory-fit Subwoofer Enclosures 2000-up Dodge Neon at Crutchfield.com

post #22 of 25 Old 06-04-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I assume you have a neon as well?

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #23 of 25 Old 06-06-2011, 02:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
I assume you have a neon as well?
Nope. Just strange because I was just playing around on Crutchfield and came across that saying it was compatible with the Compass.

post #24 of 25 Old 10-03-2011, 02:06 AM

What is the mounting depth on the rear speakers? I was thinking of taking some 8" or a pair of 10" shallows and putting them in place of the 6x9's and then relocating the 6x9's with some 6.5"s. I just need to know the mounting depth of the rear speakers. If its too small then I'll have to go with a custom box like underneath a seat or something
post #25 of 25 Old 10-03-2011, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The hole isn't wide enough for anything bigger than a 6.5. Kicker makes 6.5" cvt sub woofers. I didn't measure the depth.

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in