Unsolved Mystery - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 03-18-2016, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Unsolved Mystery

Hi everyone.

I have an odd issue.

A few weeks ago, as I turned the ignition to the start position (I've got a manual transmission), I heard a loud buzzing noise from just behind the dash. The day after the same happened. A few days passed by, and then again.

One morning last week I realised the radio is completely dead. No power to it at all. So I checked the fuses, all of them, and I replaced the 15 amp fuse for the radio.

Still no power.

I bought a certified functioning REF unit to replace mine. I installed it into the dash, with the hope that it would work, and it's still completely dead. I triple checked the fuses, to no effect, they're all fine.

I also did what some other people here have suggested; I disconnected the battery terminals for a while. That had no effect.

What the f-ck is going on here? No other system in the vehicle seems to be working abnormally. Just the radio.

It's just painful to not have a radio while driving, and given the very many issues my Compass has had to date, I'm seriously considering dumping it and getting another vehicle.

Can someone help?!

(My vehicle is a 2007 Compass sport with manual, front wheel drive, and2.4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-20-2016, 03:03 PM

Check with a dealer.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-23-2016, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

LOL you're right about that. I just pulled the head unit out. The space serves as a good storage area. I don't care enough about this car anymore to spend money unnecessarily. It's already cost me a small fortune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-25-2016, 01:35 AM

Garage
Exclamation

Need a schematic!

Sounds to me to be the auto off logic control - the radio normaly switches off when you open the door once the key has been removed from ignition.

Must be 12Volt signal line (or relay) that controls this - get auto electrician to have a look?
post #5 of 11 Old 04-04-2016, 06:55 PM

Yeah, anyone reading any of these thread best take note.
Stay away from any used ones especially the early years as you're buying money pitt with your hard earned money. Not only parts issues but rust is a big problem with these as well underneath.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-06-2016, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Yes tripplec, you got it!

This is the list of items that've gone bad on mine:

1 - TIPM. When this one failed it was utterly spectacular to say the least.

2 - As a result of the TIPM dying and no one being able to diagnose it at first, I also burned out two start motors.

3 - Radio.

4 - All of the door hinge mechanisms (the rotating bushing that allows the door to sit open at different positions) are seized as a result of corrosion/rust. Now when I open my doors I hear a lovely cracking sound because the bushings no longer rotate.

5 - The mount/bracket that holds the gear shift cables (mine is a manual) also cracked and I Was unable to shift gears.

6 - Multiple front tie-rod ends, and inner tie rods. In the 4 years I've had it I've gone through 4 outer tie rods, and two inner tie rods. And it's got nothing to do with the mechanic because he's a very good one that I've known for years.

7 - I'm now on my third set of rear calipers. They seize up like no ones business.

I honestly regret buying it and I wouldn't buy another MK platform based vehicle.

I'm just hoping to get another year out of it before it craps out on me.

And yeah, rust, rust, rust. Wow.

Depending on the cost of the replacement for the Compass/Patriot, I may just get a JK Wrangler.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-06-2016, 07:09 AM

Garage
I'm closing in on repairing the Compass I'm working on.

Did somebody mention a Wrangler...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6YoJ-4z2zc

Currently massaging a 2007 Jeep Compass.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-06-2016, 11:19 AM

The entire line of Jeeps as well as others such as Journey are on the don't buy list of JD Power. I replace a sized caliper at a local mechanic since I did not want to do the bleeding myself. The mechanic said with was a common problem on the Caravans as well. (All down to cheap parts used). Hence I move away from Chrysler entirely now to something else as you can see from my signature.

PS My door roller you're talking about was also going and I had the dealer look at it. Rather than change the assemble they applied a special penetrating oil they use to free it up. I do it a couple of time through the summer to keep it moving.
We I buy these I can guarantee my money is 100% good for more than 5 years. They can't produce the product to be good for even a year. I spent so much time in the shop I'd be on a first name basis with the manager and reps. No more....

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 11 Old 04-06-2016, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

TrippleC. I know how you feel. The only Jeep I'd get now is the Wrangler, and that's only because of personal experience. Makes me sad because FCA makes some very good looking products. I learned to drive in a 1989 Dodge Ram Ramcharger 150. God I miss that beast, terribly!
post #10 of 11 Old 04-06-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Driver: Man! That thing's been beaten to hell, and has a bunch of parts on it from other Jeeps. That's just owner neglect/abuse. Poor Jeep! I do love a good JK Wrangler though. My father's put over 50,000 km a year on his, for the last 5 years and hasn't had a thing go wrong. My best friend has 120,000 on his 2011, nothing wrong with it either. My brother in-law has a 2012, first year of the Pentastar, and he's not reporting anything out of the ordinary. I think they've been at it so long with the Wrangler (and related Jeeps) that it's hard not to get it right. Plus, the Wrangler is the Jeep brand. If it fails, so does the brand.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-06-2016, 04:24 PM

I don't want to spend all the time fixing it especially if it pretty new normally you don't for a very long time. With mine except for brakes body and engine its been replaced. I don't buy a newer vehicle to repair it. Typical maintenance only as 90% of the parts changed out should have been A1 still.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 04-06-2016 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in