dash pods 2011 compass - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 23 Old 06-25-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

dash pods 2011 compass

hi i am going to be building custom dash pods to house a 3.5 and a tweeter but i cant figure out where the passenger airbag is deployed from and would rather not chuck a speaker pod at some one. just wondering if it gets deployed from the passengers cubby or at the front window trim i cant find any visible openings. also where do the side curtains come from i was debating on building pods for the rear passengers up high at the window but im not sure if the air bag their come out of the b-pillar or out of the head liner?

also would there be interest in a build log here? my plans are 8's in the doors 3.5 and super tweeters in custom dash pods.
later date install 6x9s (or same setups as dash) rear doors, 6.5s in the tailgate, 2 12's(10s) molded into the rear left and right areas in the trunk
amps
1x 6ch
1x 4ch(first)
1x mono
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-26-2017, 02:15 AM

Passenger air bag is behind the passenger cubby. It deploys out side of the front dash. I just installed the dash speakers, i custom fit 5.25 speakers and have a 2ch amp powering them. It sounds incredible.
post #3 of 23 Old 06-26-2017, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

hey man thx. thoes 5.25s are they directly on the dash beside the a pillars? i threw a 4" up there and it looked like it would interfere with the blindspot. but if ur able to fit bigger ill have to look into that! now what about the side curtains would putting pods up in the corner of the bpillers interfear with the airbag deployment? again dont wanna go trowing speakers lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 06-26-2017, 05:11 PM

I'm personally not too sure about any of this at all, but I can tell you I for one would definitely love to see a build thread out of this and constant updates! Everything from mock-ups to in the process May inspire me to get into the garage and start putting some things together haha !
post #5 of 23 Old 06-27-2017, 02:13 AM

5.25 speakers has to cut into plastic to fit. They dont interfere with the a pillars.. i really don't think theres airbags in the pillars on my jeep
post #6 of 23 Old 06-27-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
I'm personally not too sure about any of this at all, but I can tell you I for one would definitely love to see a build thread out of this and constant updates! Everything from mock-ups to in the process May inspire me to get into the garage and start putting some things together haha !
i will definitely do a build long here to then. unfortunately i just found out im on 12h shifts until the end of July so the dash pods will be delayed but i will see if i get time on the weekends.the 8s are on order for the front doors so i will show how i get these in when i get them. may be a slow build but i will keep it all in one place until the completion of the build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robxstone View Post
5.25 speakers has to cut into plastic to fit. They dont interfere with the a pillars.. i really don't think theres airbags in the pillars on my jeep
if you have the side curtains, on top of your b-pillar there is a SRS symbol there.

<--- this is the grand cherokee you can see the airbag deploy im pretty sure its hidden under the head liner.

<--- this is a 2013 compass you can see passengers airbag deploy at 2:20 (side view) and 2:57 (rear drivers passenger) if you pause at 3mins you can see a hatch there but i cant see any breaks in the plastic on my jeep
post #7 of 23 Old 06-28-2017, 10:17 AM

Honestly though, mine doesn't have air bags on the a pillar on the dash. Only steering wheel, dash above cubby, and the side pillars near the front seat seat belt pulleys. Not sure if it's a Jeep latitude thing? There's no SRS symbol on the A pillars either. Not saying you're wrong or anything, i just know what to look for because i did this for a living lol.
post #8 of 23 Old 06-28-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

i just assumed you didn't have them. those videos were just me answering my own question
post #9 of 23 Old 07-03-2017, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

hi guys I got my speakers in today (actually tursday but todays when i opened them)
I cant seem to post photos but I decided to also start a youtube channel so you can check them out.

btw they do fit and install vide / pictorials coming soon as promised.(once i figure out pictures i think its a size issue 3024x4032 altho its only 2mb)
post #10 of 23 Old 07-04-2017, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

test image
post #11 of 23 Old 07-04-2017, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

ok so heres the first door
before

after

i will upload the pictorial and shoot a video for people like me that prefer to see some one do it in the coming days.
post #12 of 23 Old 07-06-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

sorry for the delay guys 60h weeks i will try to get something up Sunday evening.
post #13 of 23 Old 07-08-2017, 02:13 AM

pretty cool. Why not 6x9s though?

I have Rockford 6x9s in all 4 doors amped with a 4ch amplifier and 2x alpine 5.25"s in the dash where the tweeters typically go, they are powered by a separate 2ch receiver.
I also have a Kenwood hideaway sub underneath my driver seat. It's a pretty solid set up.
How does yours sound?
post #14 of 23 Old 07-08-2017, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

mainly because every one has 6*9s i want to stand out. the first day i bought the jeep i was on here asking if any one has done it. i was expecting a round speaker under the grill hoping that jeep would have utalized a 8 due to increased cone area in the premium system

as for sound quality i only have one door done right now but so far i like it should only get better with the second one in

Last edited by c0ryp1; 07-08-2017 at 03:39 AM.
post #15 of 23 Old 07-10-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

part one of two

hey guys tutorial came out to be ~30 photos so i hosted it externally click link to see

Jeep Compass/Patriot door panel removal - Album on Imgur

as always video is up as well!

thanks for looking stay tuned for the actual install
post #16 of 23 Old 07-17-2017, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

hey guys video has been shot and edited to reduce length as much as I could. If you are interested in dropping 8s into your doors or just want to see how I did it take a look below

next up is dash pods I just want to give the ds18s a good listening to see if I want to keep that brand through the build or switch to something else I wanted 3" mid-ranges and also saw Daytons were suggested on another build Im following so we will see which route I take. not sure if I want different branded drivers everywhere lol.
post #17 of 23 Old 07-21-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

The install shop that I used to borrow the oscilloscope to tune my amps with is no longer around so I stumbled across this neat little kit and just had to try it out

stay tuned for assembly, testing and review.

unboxing JYE Tech DSO138 DIY Digital Oscilloscope Kit link below if you are interested

also I have my front speakers and tweeters on order so more progress will be coming on my build shortly as well.
post #18 of 23 Old 07-30-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

hey guys got my midranges in today still waiting on tweets. unboxing below. stay tuned

post #19 of 23 Old 08-05-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

hey, guys put my oscilloscope together last night.
here's the build log if you want to see whats involved
post #20 of 23 Old 08-11-2017, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

hey, guys, my tweeters were in the mail when I got home. check out the unboxing here->

pod build coming shortly
post #21 of 23 Old 08-20-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

about to start my pods so a video will be up next week. for now, I have made some amp inputs for myself check out the video of how I did it. link below
post #22 of 23 Old 08-28-2017, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

hey, guys started my pods. I think it was too hot out29(84) because my glass started to thicken and harden in the cup and wouldn't wet out properly before I even finished my first layer, so I went another route and now am pulling off of a plug. check out the video below to see how I used expanding foam to make my mold. pulled a single layer of glass already but ran out of time this weekend so stay tuned for parts 2(the rest of the glassing) and 3 (baffle and finishing.)

video--->
post #23 of 23 Old 09-11-2017, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

hey guys got around to doing a little more work on my pods.
see below for fiberglassing of my plug moulds that I made out of great stuff.
and heres a rough fit in for what the pod looks like prior to sanding/shaping/finishing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in