2016 Aftermarket Stereo Apple Carplay capable. - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 2 Old 05-01-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Question 2016 Aftermarket Stereo Apple Carplay capable.

Hello Jeep Compassers (is that the right terminology),

I just recently purchased a 2016 Compass 4x4 Sport my first "New" car purchase!

I am looking to upgrade the Radio immediately and was wanting to utilize the new Apple car/play capable stereos.

Specifically this one:
Jensen VX5228 (I cant post links or pics this being my first post)

Couple Questions:
1. Does Apple Car/Play use the Data from your phone to broadcast navigation on the Display?
2. If the Car Stereo has built in Navigation, it won't be using my phones maps app?
3. Will Apple Car/Play "Siri" feature be compatible with the Jeep UConnect features? Or is it one or the other?
4. Will this stereo even work in my 2016 Compass?

Thank You Guys, I look forward to contributing to this community of Jeep lovers out there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-11-2018, 06:06 PM

Garage
Few things for you to check (we didn't know when we switched ours but so far it has been fine)
1) Fire up your UCONNECT before you replace it and check all the menus - on the 2018 series Jeeps (newer yes) many vehicle features are controlled through the infotainment system - you want to check these to see if there are any you would miss not having access to in case they do not port over. On our 2017 MK body style compass we had already changed over to the Pioneer NEX8200/8201 system before we found out about this (changed it pretty quick) but she doesn't miss any controls so it may just be that we did not have many features controlled via the infotainment deck in that model year.
2) check with the installer and/or manufacturer on what will and what will not port over to the new system.

I can tell you that on our 8200/8201 NEX Pioneer system you can use EITHER the built in navi or the app navi - the built in navi has it's own launch control on the main menu and the app navi can be launched from the app menu. The apple play controls do seem to take over as we did not port any of our uconnect features (in fact IF you swap you want to remove the uconnect connections from your phone - we found out the hard way this overlaps and causes issues). I have to check on the data question - never thought about it - will ask the other half if she knows (as the compass is her baby)

Cant tell you if the stereo you asked about will work - can tell you the 8200/8201 NEX from Pioneer works great =)

Proud owners of a new to us certified pre-owned
2017 Jeep Compass 75th Anniversary Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in