USB Thumb Drive Compatibility - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 06-28-2018, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

USB Thumb Drive Compatibility

Is anyone able to use 64GB thumb drives with a 2018 Compass having Uconnect 4? I am having major issues with my in-dash unit recognizing 64GB USB 3.0 Gorilla thumb drives. It now refuses to even recognize any of them. However, if I insert a 32GB SanDisk Ultra 3.0 thumb drive, it recognizes it right away. I even had a Gorilla thumb drive replaced under warranty due to this issue. These are brand new and freshly opened thumb drives. I was initially able to play each 64GB Gorilla thumb drive, but the Uconnect dash unit loses connection with the thumb drive without it being unplugged. It reconnects momentarily, but then loses connection again. It seems after about three or four connection loses, it totally gives up recognizing the 64GB Gorilla thumb drives.

Is anyone else seeing a similar issue?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-30-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Okay -- it looks like 64GB 3.0 USB Gorilla drives are not compatible with the 2018 Compass Uconnect 4 with 8.4 inch display. I deleted the entire partition from this USB stick, reformatted it with plain older FAT32 (and not newer exFAT), but the system is not even acknowledging that I inserted the USB flash stick. I do not know if this is a size limitation of 64GB not being supported or Gorilla sticks in general not being supported. The USB stick works just fine from my laptop, and I executed a chkdsk /f with zero problems for it too.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-30-2018, 06:35 PM

I have a 32gb SanDisk which works fine.

I have heard of people using up to 128gb but they say it takes time to index once you get bigger and that they see some weird stuff like some folders not showing up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-01-2018, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

I also have a 32GB SanDisk that works fine per my initial post.

My question is does anyone have first hand experience getting a 64GB thumb drive to work? For me, four different 64GB thumb drives all fail to work. It has been sitting in the slot for days and failing, so the issue does not appear due to time. I have a two hour daily commute with it sitting in unrecognized.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-04-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

It looks like the issue may be specific to Gorilla 3.0 64GB flash drives. I tried a SanDisk Ultra Trek 64 GB Ruggedized USB 3.0 Flash Drive, and it is working without issue.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-05-2018, 11:59 AM

Garage
i have this one and it works fine

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJRS6QY

2018 Compass Latitude
post #7 of 8 Old 07-05-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. The trouble I had seems to be specific to 64GB 3.0 Gorilla flash drives. I ordered a four pack of 3.0 Gorilla 64GB, and every single one has had an issue only in my Compass. The Gorillas are also quite slow for USB 3.0 devices. I switched to Gorilla after a previous SanDisk 32GB flash drive got locked into a read-only mode indicating device failure.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-06-2018, 10:54 AM

Thanks Jamil, I guess I won't be ordering any Gorilla flash drives.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in