2018 Compass Sport- what are the stock speakers? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 12-28-2018, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

2018 Compass Sport- what are the stock speakers?

Hi There - I just got a new Jeep Compass Sport 4x4 with the upgraded 9 speaker audio system (with 7" Uconnect). I love the car, hate the audio quality. So much low end that the highs are buried and I have the treble cranked all the way just to get some depth in the sound.
That being said, I have been talking to numerous audio shops about how to make it sound better. There are two camps - add an Amp or change out the door speakers. My big question is what exactly is installed in the car from Jeep? Anyone know the make of the speakers that Jeep used for the system itself? my concern is that if I install an amp, it won't do much since well.. I have the same speakers in the doors and it may not help matters at all. Each route costs the same (amp vs speaker)

So if anyone has any idea what stock speakers are included in the 9 speaker system, that would help me a ton in determining which road I go down to upgrade the audio system. Thanks for any help you can lend. I have read in other forums that the auto engine cut off might interfere with the Amp so that is a huge concern.
thank you!
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-28-2018, 06:38 PM

Garage
sounds like you bought it recently, so I would just ask the dealer to figure it out for you. They shouldn't be jerks about it, it is their job no matter how much they hate to do it. Go that way 1st then maybe call jeep directly, these are things that could be answered by a customer support team.

K

"Wannabe Blacked Out - Oscar" - 2017 Jeep Compass 2nd gen body "Latitude 4x4"
"The Black Castle - Cassie" - 2014 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (Wife's Castle) Slight mods with lighting and head and tail lights
post #3 of 6 Old 12-30-2018, 10:21 AM

Garage
If you have the premium audio package it should come with beats audio speakers and an amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisagu7783 View Post
Hi There - I just got a new Jeep Compass Sport 4x4 with the upgraded 9 speaker audio system (with 7" Uconnect). I love the car, hate the audio quality. So much low end that the highs are buried and I have the treble cranked all the way just to get some depth in the sound.
That being said, I have been talking to numerous audio shops about how to make it sound better. There are two camps - add an Amp or change out the door speakers. My big question is what exactly is installed in the car from Jeep? Anyone know the make of the speakers that Jeep used for the system itself? my concern is that if I install an amp, it won't do much since well.. I have the same speakers in the doors and it may not help matters at all. Each route costs the same (amp vs speaker)

So if anyone has any idea what stock speakers are included in the 9 speaker system, that would help me a ton in determining which road I go down to upgrade the audio system. Thanks for any help you can lend. I have read in other forums that the auto engine cut off might interfere with the Amp so that is a huge concern.
thank you!
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-30-2018, 03:03 PM

All an amp does it make exactly what you already have louder, so that doesn't make much sense, whoever suggested that I would avoid their shop. Some amps have their own EQ but if you can't get it the way you want with the radio EQ then I doubt any amp's EQ would do any better, and since you are not likely going to change out the radio its still going to have to deal with the garbage pre-processed signal the radio gives it. Nope, I don't think an amp makes sense on any level.

There should be something somewhere that says "beats" on your paperwork or whatnot if you have that package. Thats supposed to be the best option but maybe not if you mostly listen to classical or piano or jazz. I don't even know where they PUT these "9 speakers", but it seems like some of those would HAVE to be tweeters and mids like in the dash, are you certain you've tried tuning it enough? I just find it hard to believe the best and most expensive system with the most speakers can't be dialed into someone's liking.

I have the middle-of-the-road 6 speaker system and its the best stock system I've ever had, easily. But I enjoy the low end. The beats system is designed to appeal to the crowd who likes the "thump thump" in the music, thats fine but seems like some tweaking of the EQ and faders should be able to wring some clarity out of it without having to throw money at a brand new car. Maybe see if there is an option to turn off the subwoofer completely? Total last resort, swapping out the door speakers with some quality 3 or 4-way speakers with crossovers should do the trick, just doesn't seem like it should be neccesary, but if the doors are merely woofers and not even 2-way then that would probably explain why they don't produce much clarity. The dash speakers you should be able to leave alone, but it will depend on being able to get replacement door speakers with the same impedance as the originals and if its something off the walls like 12 ohm then "if you give a mouse a cookie" will apply and you may end up getting new speakers all around and an amp or even two...
post #5 of 6 Old 12-30-2018, 03:08 PM

One other thought, way out there, is that you *could* just be deaf to some tones and frequencies as well.... I know I am, so even though I "hear" mostly fine, things don't sound the same to me as they do to other people necessarily. I'm not even that old but a range of my hearing is totally shot. What sounds good to me can be way different for other people, like my poor wife... so getting some other sets of ears to cast an opinion could be good too if you've been to a lot of concerts or spent a long time running loud tools (ie, chainsaw, in my case) without proper ear protection. Just a thought.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-30-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone..love the community here to go to for questions and great feedback!
My old car (a Ford) had an upgraded OEM Sony based system that sounded amazing...so I might have been spoiled by that.. I am going to avoid the amp install..my problem is not loudness just the clarity of the speakers. So going to replace the doors with Focal or Hertz and if that still feels underwhelming..put in the amp. I have been trying to find out what the stock head unit provides as far as power out out and emailed my dealer to see if they know. It's not the Beats audio for sure as there is no sub..just three speakers in the dash..a pair of 6x9 in the doors and rear fill speakers in the tail gate. From what I gather the Uconnect 7.0 head in my model is made by Delphi and is model number Vp2_7
Thanks again for all your input and suggestions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in