six months old 2012 Compass breakdown - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 03-12-2013, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
six months old 2012 Compass breakdown

Hey Guys!
I never had any issue with my Compass until yesterday. I left Toronto at noon was driving on interstate 90 towards a meeting in Pittsburgh and when I was a couple miles away from Erie the engine simply shut down.

I was doing 70 mph with the cruise control on and suddenly the engine turned off by itself. I managed to avoid the big tractor trailers and throw the car on the road shoulder and the would just not start again. Everything worked, but would not start, exactly like if there was no gas, but there was almost half a tank.

So I called Jeep roadside assistance and the lady was really nice on the phone, sent a tow truck that arrived an hour and a half later. The car was towed to Gary Miller Chrysler in Erie, but by the time I got there they could not do anything yesterday, so now I'm in a motel room still awaiting for news on the car. They didn't have any car available for me as a loaner, courtesy, rental or whatever, and the Enterprise rental across the street was already closed.

So, did anyone here had that kind of problem before?? Even if I can rent a car to attend my meeting, hopefully they will be able to fix it in time for me to drive back to Canada until Thursday like I was planned to...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-12-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Hey Guys!
I never had any issue with my Compass until yesterday. I left Toronto at noon was driving on interstate 90 towards a meeting in Pittsburgh and when I was a couple miles away from Erie the engine simply shut down.

I was doing 70 mph with the cruise control on and suddenly the engine turned off by itself. I managed to avoid the big tractor trailers and throw the car on the road shoulder and the would just not start again. Everything worked, but would not start, exactly like if there was no gas, but there was almost half a tank.

So I called Jeep roadside assistance and the lady was really nice on the phone, sent a tow truck that arrived an hour and a half later. The car was towed to Gary Miller Chrysler in Erie, but by the time I got there they could not do anything yesterday, so now I'm in a motel room still awaiting for news on the car. They didn't have any car available for me as a loaner, courtesy, rental or whatever, and the Enterprise rental across the street was already closed.

So, did anyone here had that kind of problem before?? Even if I can rent a car to attend my meeting, hopefully they will be able to fix it in time for me to drive back to Canada until Thursday like I was planned to...
It depends a lot on what your build is on it.
Security system that fail can kill the engine and never allow a restart. Thats what they're suppose to do however they should not be that fail prone. I have heard it happening on another model. There is too much going on electronically in them. They should have a code(s) to pin point it and if its solid failure still then no problem to find it.

Good luck...

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 PM

Jesus. what a mess.
I hope that they can help ASAP.

Not looking good for the '11 and '12 models again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-12-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
update

Hey guys, here is the update.

Later this morning the dealership ran all the diagnostics and found out that the problem was the fuel pump. They order the fuel pump and the car should be ready tomorrow or the day after. At the same time they arranged me a loaner car and came to pick up in the hotel and everything.

So getting a car failing because of a faulty part sucks, but it happens and could happen to anyone and to any car from any manufacturer. But the way people from Jeep (the lady from the call centre who took my call and Ken, assistant service manager from Gary Miller dealership in Erie) treated and took care of me from the moment I called from the roadside until now was incredibly nice. So far all I can do is to give two thumbs up to Jeep.

I'm right now attending all the meetings I was intended to do in the beginning of the trip and they will contact me when the car is ready.

I'll give you guys another update when I get the car ready

post #5 of 7 Old 03-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a real inconvenience but glad to hear you and your Compass were taken care of and at least helped you make the best out of a bad situation!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #6 of 7 Old 03-15-2013, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
last update

So...
Wednesday right after lunchtime I got a call from the dealership saying the car was ready, but since I was in a meeting close to Pittsburgh, by the time I was done I would't make it time to Erie to get the car, so I drove there last morning.

I did my 4 hours drive back to Toronto and the cars is as great as it was before.

As we can all agree have a breakdown is an inconvenience and there is nothing no one can do anything about. But in what could be done, that was assisting with everything I needed getting the car fixed in time I give Jeep and the guys from the dealership in Erie five stars. Extremely satisfied.

At the beginning on Monday, I expected receiving the basic: tow truck and and simply having the car fixed. But the helped me with the hotel, courtesy car so I could attend the meetings I needed (it was a business trip, not vacations) and kept me updated all the time about the progress of the car repair.

I hope you guys never have any problem with your jeeps, but at least now we know that if it does, how Jeep handles that

Have all a great weekend!

post #7 of 7 Old 03-15-2013, 03:14 PM

I have gone through my experiences with both Chrysler and some dealers.

I'll tell you of all the dealers and I have been to with my troubles in the GTA and even drive 200km to one out of town. Distance is not an issue but the service is so I drive the extra miles to get the necessary attention.

I highly recommend BANNERMAN MOTORS, on Don Mills Rd, Toronto. They professional and the tech's are great. The manager in service (Linda) is focused on customer satisfaction.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in