Knock Jeep Quality Will Ya! - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 Old 01-27-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Knock Jeep Quality Will Ya!

A lot of people that I associate with told me not to buy a Jeep cause they are nothing but trouble and live in the shop. One of these naysayers was a Toyota service tech.
WELL...........
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100127/...qjReW9xFjgtY54
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-29-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ah Hah! Even Honda is coming out of the closet of lies and deception!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100129/...s_honda_recall

One of my neighbors who is a new Honda Accord owner recently told me "why you wanna buy a Jeep?... after all it's just a Chrysler!" How bout a nice "crow" sandwich?
post #3 of 20 Old 01-29-2010, 03:50 PM

Jealousy, pure and simple. All those cars all look alike, even their badges are starting to look alike! I will say I am starting to be a tad afraid to be around a new toyota while its running, fortunatley, we only have one 4 way stoplight in the valley, so odds are good I won't have to deal with one very often. Of course, parking lots are another matter.

09 Jeep Compass Rallye Sport 4X4 *inferno red*5sp manual*sun & sound grp* SOLD
04 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4x4 *RED*
12 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn CC 4x4
48 Dodge Power Wagon AWD *continental flathead 6*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-30-2010, 02:27 AM

I agree, theyre just jealous we were smart enough to buy American!

Run from me if you want to live.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 (4x4 all the way baby!)
post #5 of 20 Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well Lunchbox, we didn't actually buy "all" American. Remember, the engine and many of the Jeep parts under the skin are from Japan,China and Korea. I think the main reason for these glitches in manufacturing is poor supervision of engineers and technical personnel. They really know better it's just they are becoming lazy sort of like we American's are. I can remember when people marked their calendar when to change oil, sparkplugs and when to re-pack the wheel bearings. Today due to the computer we take much for granted at the end of the chain.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-30-2010, 02:34 PM

Garage
I think it's also due to the fact that most of these pieces are sealed and can't be serviced. I believe that they are inferior to the serviceable parts and don't have the quality. I still remember when you could poke around under your hood and fix just about anything. Now it's all computer and sensors.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #7 of 20 Old 01-31-2010, 10:52 AM

Garage
Naap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeye View Post
Well Lunchbox, we didn't actually buy "all" American. Remember, the engine and many of the Jeep parts under the skin are from Japan,China and Korea. I think the main reason for these glitches in manufacturing is poor supervision of engineers and technical personnel. They really know better it's just they are becoming lazy sort of like we American's are. I can remember when people marked their calendar when to change oil, sparkplugs and when to re-pack the wheel bearings. Today due to the computer we take much for granted at the end of the chain.
I think you would be more correct in saying many of the Jeep's parts come from CANADA and Mexico . . . . proportion of imported parts is watched carefully to maintain the quality of a domestic product. (North American domestic product that is to say)

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #8 of 20 Old 02-01-2010, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe View Post
I think you would be more correct in saying many of the Jeep's parts come from CANADA and Mexico . . . . proportion of imported parts is watched carefully to maintain the quality of a domestic product. (North American domestic product that is to say)
Good point, "75% U.S. and Canadian parts content, transmission manufactured in Mexico...." was the sticker on my Dodge truck, but at least when I let off the gas it's not accelerating on its own. People say Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep products have gremlins, but I say no more than any other, most likely less in all reality, but fewer recalls to be sure.

Gotta agree with the serviceability though, while sealed parts tend to last longer simply because outside contaminants are not introduced into them, they are more expensive to replace and you have to be an electrician or computer whiz to work on today's vehicles, even though the basic engine components/principles are the same!

At any rate, while it can safely be said, not much is actually made in America anymore, I will still choose an American nameplate over any other!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #9 of 20 Old 02-01-2010, 11:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
At any rate, while it can safely be said, not much is actually made in America anymore, I will still choose an American nameplate over any other!
- Cherokee
Let me tell you, I just bought a nice,warm pair of gloves for $7.99 (made in China), and I thought to my self, $7.99, that's cheap for a nice pair of gloves . . . I am sure I would have had to pay maybe $20 for a nice pair of gloves like these had they still be made in Canada. . . and with the things are today . . . I think I would go out and pay the $20 if I knew it was protecting domestic jobs.
The prices we pay for cheaper made imported products, is no consolation for the lose of jobs at home. Sure if the only jobs left at home are at the burger kings. donut shops and Walmarts, we need to be buying imported stuff made by people forced to work the $3/day.
Wow - the USA has lifted it's embargo on Haitian made clothing, big effort to help their economy and making jobs for the poor, but wow, they can earn $4/day, a lot more than nothing?
I was looking at authentic Olympic 2010 souvenier clothing at The Bay this weekend, not one piece "made in Canada" Imagine - China the supplier of Team Canada's uniforms? There was even a simple white T-shirt, with the motto "CANADIAN MADE" boldly screened on the front . . . the label "made in China". Just seems very wrong.
We embraced the cheaper made Japanese cars in the beginning, then the Koreans, and the products grew better to meet out demands . . . now wait until we start to welcome cars made in China and India . . . there won't be enough 7/11's in all of Michigan to support all the out of work autoworkers, but atleast cars will be cheap enough for of our out of workers.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #10 of 20 Old 02-01-2010, 11:58 PM

Its a good thought to know that my kids will have just a splendid time trying to find a job in their own country. Gives you that warm fuzzy feeling, you know? Or is it that cold-shakey-pukey stuff? Probably, but I'll just pretend like the rest of America ><

post #11 of 20 Old 02-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Administrator

I feel ya' i2 and LB!!! Boy, if China didn't make it, we wouldn't have it, glad their economy keeps buzzing right along, but I would also rather pay a bit more for something of better quality if it meant keeping more jobs at home. Lost my job twice this past year (oilfield work - yeah, the U.S. would rather pay more to import oil from countries that don't like us very much and that we're at war with than drill right here) so I know how those out of work folks feel, especially when you watch the unemployment rate steadily climb, thinking to yourself, now I'm just a number, another statistic.....

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #12 of 20 Old 02-03-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This Toyota thing is becoming laughable! Now they are saying that the "Prius" (or Priapism* as I call it) won't always stop! Yes, the brakes are defective. The folks at big T are telling owners not to drive the affected cars until they can be repaired. This may be the death knell for the finest car company to come out of Japan other than Honda. All because of lack of supervision and politics in the engineering and manufacturing areas.

*Look that up in your Funck & Wagnall's.

JEEP POWER!!!!

Last edited by Skyeye; 02-03-2010 at 06:21 PM.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeye View Post
This Toyota thing is becoming laughable! Now they are saying that the "Prius" (or Priapism* as I call it) won't always stop! Yes, the brakes are defective. The folks at big T are telling owners not to drive the affected cars until they can be repaired. This may be the death knell for the finest car company to come out of Japan other than Honda. All because of lack of supervision and politics in the engineering and manufacturing areas.

*Look that up in your Funck & Wagnall's.

JEEP POWER!!!!
Yep, heard about that, too, but here's a curious thought, has Toyota recalled any of its "Made in Japan" vehicles or just those made here??? But unintended acceleration without the ability to stop, hopefully is the death knell for the manufacturer and not innocent motorists!

- Cherokee

post #14 of 20 Old 02-07-2010, 02:46 AM

So, is Toyota now manufacturing Kamikaze vehicles?

|
|
post #15 of 20 Old 02-07-2010, 02:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster2 View Post
So, is Toyota now manufacturing Kamikaze vehicles?
LMAO, must be why they issued such a profuse apology earlier today, lol!

- Cherokee

post #16 of 20 Old 02-07-2010, 01:08 PM

Lol If I see any Hondas with a rising sun on them, Ill be sure to run.

post #17 of 20 Old 03-18-2010, 04:14 AM

Garage
I'm pretty sure that over the next twenty years or so (as quality of life and wages etc improve in China, as they currently are) We will see more manufacturing returning to the west. It wont be so cheap to buy Asian made, and the East/West living standard will slowly level out...(sounds good huh)
post #18 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 04:58 AM
Administrator

Does sound good, optimistic outlook for sure and I hope you're right! What most people don't think about though is the human cost. The Chinese government can't really be said to "love" its people as their human rights record is deplorable, so I would like to see conditions improve and perhaps return the region to a fair level of competition which, in turn, would help to level the playing field and regulate not only prices of goods/services but also wages paid to labor.

- Cherokee

post #19 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 06:07 AM

Garage
You are right Cherokee, their human rights record IS deplorable. But what 99% of people who havent been to China cant comprehend is the magnitude of trying to run a country with a WAY too big population. 1.3/1.4 billion? How do you feed, educate, police such a number of people? No country in the west can claim to have the ability to do so. I am in no way defending the gubberment of China, it is rotten.

But, Imagine this: Swap the 250 million(?) people in the US for 1300 million and see what happens. That national guard is gonna come in real handy let me tell you.

Anyway... this is a Jeep forum! Sorry, getting way off topic here...

Last edited by lochinprc; 03-19-2010 at 07:08 AM.
post #20 of 20 Old 03-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Administrator

No worries man, it's a good conversation, and you're right, the population of China, especially in a country that size, is not often considered, and even at that, 1300 million would fill up this country pretty quick, too!

- Cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in