2007 Oilpan needs replaced - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 05-02-2014, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

2007 Oilpan needs replaced

Have a leak around the oilpan and was told that it's rusting out and needs replaced. Looked under and it does look pretty bad. Is this normal and how bad is it to replace? Estimated cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-02-2014, 02:38 AM

Oil pan should never rust out in 10 years at least. I never heard of that happening with anything that age. Get another opinion and/or verify where its actually leaking. Many time a the area needs to be shampoo'd to see what happening.

You say around it. Could just be the gasket but is should not go that early unless oil additives have attacked it. What oil are you using? How often changed

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-06-2014, 06:01 PM

The attached .pdf explains how to remove the oil pan on a 2.0 L engine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20engine.pdf (87.2 KB, 37 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-25-2014, 11:51 AM

Well I did an oil change yesterday since the Chang Oil flashed a few days back at just over 4000km. It seems a bit early for it however having read this post before. I was amazed at the bubbling surface rust in multiple places on my oil pan. YES RUST and not just surface light coating. This had been working in at the round edges and lower bottom areas. This is a 2009 you have to take note. These pans should never rust!! What kind of cheap steel is this. I have had so many vehicles up to and most 200,000km and more before parting with them. Include a 97 Carvan, current Grand Cherokee w/289k on it and others even 91 Explorer w/250k on it and 15 years old. Never any rusting on the oil pans lest alone rust through.

If these Jeep Compass pans rust through the oil could be lost very quickly causing the engine to blow. IMO is a gross oversight in the design and quality critical to the life of the vehicle. I had some black rust paint on hand and spray it for now to stop it for a while. I will be doing a pre winter oil change in December and will see what its like then. But I am not liking this at all

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-25-2014, 03:07 PM

Well I called my dealer locally to find out it there is any notification on action for this rusting. After some checking I presume since I waited for a call back. I was told it should be replaced. Dahh yes eventually it will now. But Jeep has nothing as far as covering this job so its solely on the poor owner to bear the cost of this problem. Should never happen but it is.

If you're doing you own changes you likely see the rust bubbling hard areas. If not the quick lube shop won't alert you. If its really bad it will likely blow through on the highway and you'll loose the motor because of this. I have no idea at this time if an aftermarket oil pan is available but might check into it next year. Its best to a least clean off the pan and paint it with rust paint to minimize further rusting but eventually will likely fail if neglected.

Something else to watch out for on these vehicles.

Good thing I've decided in not going ahead and replacing my Grand Cherokee with a 2014 RAM 1500 4x4. LOL Cheap steel being used pretty much everywhere. Chrysler Rust Buckets are here, get yours now!!! Oh but you still have to pay threw the nose for these disintegrating vehicles.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 08-25-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Updated content

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in