2014 Transmission Bearing Failure - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 10-21-2014, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2014 Transmission Bearing Failure

So everything I was scared of with buying a NEW vehicle has come true. Something already went wrong. I took a small road trip from FL to KS and then down to TX. The car performed flawlessly the entire trip except when I got about an hour from home. There was a slight humming noise at first but then it turned into a ticking at idle, with a louder humming noise when I was accelerating. I called my respective Jeep dealership and they diagnosed the problem as a bad transmission bearing.

As of right now it's covered under warranty but they cant start on it for another week and told me I shouldn't drive it or run risk of catastrophic failure. So far the process has been good but I'm still kinda trying to figure out if they owe me a rental in the meantime because an entire week without my car is a little long. Am I supposed to be able to get a courtesy car or is that not covered by warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I can't comment on Jeep warranty in the States but in Canada, if you have the basic warranty (AKA didn't buy extended) they will pay up to 5 days of a rental for you.

If you have purchased the extended warranty, then you wil get a rental for as long as your vehicle is down for. In the case of my Compass, it had a tricky electrical failure and was in the shop for 3 weeks, right after I bought it, had a rental the entire time, no charge,

Wife also had a rental when her 2014 Cherokee was in the shop (she also had extended warranty) and had a rental the whole time.

Since the vehicle is so new, you might try striking a deal with the dealer or your salesman to see if that works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #3 of 11 Old 10-30-2014, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
*UPDATE*

Well, the car is fixed. I'm back on the road again putting ridiculous mileage on my new vehicle. So here whats happened so far. Brought it into the dealership, they diagnosed the problem as a failed transmission bearing and later more specifically the input/output shaft bearing, took them 6 days to fix it. Everything was quick and easy with the exception of having to go without my brand new car. No courtesy vehicles are covered under warranty. So far the car has been driving well but there's that uncertain nagging feeling now about whether something else will fail with the car. I'll post again if anything else happens related to this incident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-31-2014, 12:45 PM

If they tell you not to or can drive a vehicle because of a failed part. The rental supplied is a given. I've had one given on one case when the CVT was being replaced. It took al long time as well.

This speaks to the quality of bearings used. IMO

Good luck.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #5 of 11 Old 11-06-2014, 12:39 AM

Give her good miles and have checked from time to time so you documents to show. Hope they installed all new better bearings.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-22-2014, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bad news

So.... after putting another approx 10K miles or so on the vehicle the bearing they installed is starting to fail. It is making the whiney buzzing noise that indicated the problem before. I am going to be scheduling another appointment with the dealership to have it fixed as it still is under the full warranty. At this point I'm getting pretty heated. This car is disappointing me as a Jeep and may be getting traded in here shortly. Updates to follow.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-23-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettski321 View Post
So.... after putting another approx 10K miles or so on the vehicle the bearing they installed is starting to fail. It is making the whiney buzzing noise that indicated the problem before. I am going to be scheduling another appointment with the dealership to have it fixed as it still is under the full warranty. At this point I'm getting pretty heated. This car is disappointing me as a Jeep and may be getting traded in here shortly. Updates to follow.
Keep a note of this and work orders. If its new and its not getting fixed. Consumer protection can force the dealer/Chrysler to buy it back. Contact customer relation and inform them of this recurring problem and likely another bearing won't do much. There is likely something else wrong causing this.

Good Luck I been there and learned the hard way but living at the dealers is no fun and this could be the start of a run of trouble.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 11 Old 12-29-2014, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Florida Lemon Law

I believe what you are referring to is Lemon Law (Florida). I've already looked it up, it has to be within 2 yrs, 24K miles or the manufacturer limited warranty or whichever comes first. Since it is over 24K miles it is ineligible to fall under Florida Lemon Law. I'm going to "politely" ask them to fix the cause and not the problem. Also I'm considering trading it in for something else. I can't be having these kinds of problems with a 'new' vehicle.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-29-2014, 08:56 PM

There must be some other avenue. The US has the best owner protection out there. Our only recourse is through CANVAP and it carries on through the warranty. CAMVAP - Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan for anyones interest. I'd check with the auto clubs but you have to report this also to Chrysler. Now is the time and they have to investigate and have it looked at with their oversight at a dealer of your choosing. Important, so report it first. Odds are you'll need a new tranny. CVT?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 11 Old 01-01-2015, 11:03 AM

Various warranty repairs 2012 Compass CRD

First problem at 4,360 miles transmission bearing ,all sorted ok .
Second problem steering rack which was replaced at first service.
Third problem was loss of coolant at 24,020 miles ,started using it at the
Rate of 1.5litres per day on a round trip journey of 48 miles,sorted under warranty ,water transfer pipe , then a recall came through for this.
Engine management light coming on over a period of 6 weeks ,returned to
Dealer 5 times for correction,problem turned out to be fuel pressure sensor
Corrected under warranty.
Door locks, first passenger door ,started intermittently, unable to open with fob
Or key or from inside went back to dealer first for diagnosis then order parts
Then returned for repair no trouble since on that side ,32,000 miles.
Now drivers door lock has failed ,unable to open with fob or key or from inside
No Change for over a week,have tried disconnecting battery etc.
Going to dealer tomorrow for diagnosis etc 34,450 miles all under warranty.
Have been pleased with dealer service but what a hassle, the locks are a real
Safety issue !
post #11 of 11 Old 01-12-2015, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Actually it's a 5 Speed Manual. I certainly will be contacting Chrysler here shortly. The only real problem is I don't get a rental car because of this. This being the second time this issue has occurred I would hope they would fix the transmission this time instead of just replacing the broken part. If the bearing should start to go out again I'll just let the transmission seize and then they can fix what is really the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in