Crossmember ROT in front and rear-'09 - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 04-25-2016, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Crossmember ROT in front and rear-'09

Has anyone had issues with a rotted crossmember in a 2009 Jeep Compass? Our Chrysler Lifetime Maxcare warranty will not cover it because of rust, and Jeep customer care is saying they're sorry, but there isn't anything they can do.
Jeep issued a bulletin, but it applies to vehicles built on or after August 26, 2005 and on or before July 23, 2007. Our vehicle was manufactured in 2008. Warranty period for crossmember perforation and rust-through is extended to 10 years by manufacturer.

I should also note that we are in on of the salt belt states issued in the bulletin.

Any suggestions to proceed??? Vehicle at dealership now and we have to decide tomorrow if we pay the $3000 to fix.

Service Bulletin NUMBER: 23-012-14
GROUP: Body
DATE: May 19, 2014
This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of Chrysler Group LLC.
NOTE: This only applies to vehicles in the Canadian Market and in salt belt states which include Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, D.C., West Virginia and Wisconsin.
SUBJECT:
Front And Rear Crossmember Corrosion (X58 10 Years Unlimited Mileage)
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves inspecting the front and rear crossmembers for perforation / rust through and if necessary, replace the crossmember(s).
MODELS:
2007 PM Caliber
2007 MK Compass, Patriot
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after August 26, 2005 (MDH0826XX) and on or before July 23, 2007 (MDH 0723XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe a vibration at the steering wheel or may have been informed by a technician or state vehicle inspection that the front and / or rear crossmember is severely corroded.
POLICY:
Warranty period for crossmember perforation / rust through is extended to 10 years.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-25-2016, 05:19 PM

My front cross member has a hole in it

Mine is rusty and has a hole.

What did you end up doing about it?

They should warranty this, like the 07's
post #3 of 5 Old 06-25-2016, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Jeep

Jeep was willing to repair the crossmember for us with a $500 deductible. We were more than pleased with their response and the outcome to assist us
!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-26-2016, 01:38 PM

These are the first generation design which changed in 2010 and my have better steel.
2008's and 2009's will likely start popping up in numbers as time goes on. They're newer hence more time for the rust to do the damage. I was doing my brake rotors recently and can see rust started in the tube ends of the frame. A good Krown spraying may mitigate this otherwise its going to be a big issue in a few years.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-07-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmanwick View Post
Mine is rusty and has a hole.

What did you end up doing about it?

They should warranty this, like the 07's
Sounds rusted badly. What year of your Compass?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in