considering lifetime warranty on 2014 used compass - couple questions - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 07-18-2016, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Question considering lifetime warranty on 2014 used compass - couple questions

hello!
I've got a good quote on a MOPAR lifetime maxi care warranty on my (just purchased) used Jeep Compass. These contract areas concern/confuse me:

1. must my maintenance work be done at an authorized Jeep dealer, or can I get it done at, say, Sears (or any licensed mechanic), as long as I have records?

2. Because I am the second owner, I do not have service records from the prior owner (nothing specific in carfax). Seems to me since I'm the one on contract, the required proof of maintenance would extend only to the time since I owned it, but is it a problem/coverage issue that I cannot supply maintenance records from owner #1?

3. If I get into an accident (non-totaled) and my insurance company insists on using after-market parts for covered repairs, will this nullify the MOPAR contract?

4. Are parts (that are replaced with authorized parts) due to an accident still covered (again, as long as car isn't totaled) or do they become excluded parts?

thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by turnagain; 07-18-2016 at 11:20 PM. Reason: clarify type of warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-20-2016, 09:16 PM

All good questions.

Ask the dealer and get a reference for their answers in writing. Otherwise it won't mean anything.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-10-2019, 03:46 PM

My thoughts on how this generally works. Dealers are generally reluctant to put anything in writing, particularly when it's a Mopar contract and any Jeep dealer needs to honor it.

Scheduled maintenance - any licensed place should be fine. There are people that do their own oil changes and they are still covered by their warranty.

Insurance - I would be more worried about the total loss aspect than the parts aspect. As the car ages, it gets quite close to a write off value with any major accident, lowering the value of the lifetime warranty (Mopar doesn't need to pay out the warranty value if your insurance decides your car is not worth repairing). Anything that impacts your engine / powertrain would likely involve a write off in a 14. Most likely if you have an insurance repair it would be body work (new bumper, fenders) and it would be hard to argue that a non OEM bumper causes powertrain or electronics issues (most expensive /frequent warranty claims)

Aftermarket parts are generally covered by their own warranty. You are most likely going to get insurance replacement parts on things that won't go wrong (body panels) so I won't sweat it out. Plus even on parts with new electronics (say a door with a power window) the new part will likely have a much longer life that a 5+ year old part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-11-2019, 05:48 PM

As the owner of the vehicle you have THE RIGHT to insist on OE parts! They cannot refuse them for your repair. Aftermarket parts are typically cheaper AND DO NOT MEET OEM SPECIFICATIONS! Cheap junk made in China cannot be forced on you! Installing aftermarket parts affects the structural strength of the vehicle and in some cases may result in injury to you or others that ordinarily would not occur or be lessened with OEM parts in a (God forbid) second collision. Do you want to take the chance? If you don't believe me, ask any attorney who specializes in auto accidents. I have seen this situation (use of inferior parts) and its aftermath first hand, after having spent almost 46 years in the automotive repair and parts side of the business.

ASSUME NOTHING SUSPECT EVRYTHING
post #5 of 5 Old 02-11-2019, 09:10 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Read the fine print carefully. I've heard of situations where the warranty company wants to replace a blown tranny at 100,000 miles with another tranny with 100,000 miles on it!

I tend to avoid after market warranties. If I don't buy the warranty I've got half the money for a repair that might not even happen.

FCA included the lifetime warranty on my '08 but it was free and so I didn't pay a dime for it. I took it to 300,000 miles and they gave me two new transmissions, so in that case it worked for me.

Purchasing a lifetime warranty is a waste of money if you're going to sell or trade at 120,000 miles. You've really got to go the distance (lie 250,000+) to get your money's worth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in