Here we go yet another leaky sunroof! - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 06-13-2011, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here we go yet another leaky sunroof!

Yikes . . . it happened to me!
Thursday we had torrential rains and the next morning I found inches of water on the drivers side floor . . .
I had recently installed a wind deflector and thought maybe this combined with the slope I was parked on had cased a one time event.
But no . . . I pored again today and the car was parked on a level spot, i got in and started to drive to a shower flowing from the overhead lights and buttons.
Maybe the deflector, more likely a blockage of a drain by those thousands of maple tree seeds that helicopter down on my car each season.
Hope my dealer can resolve this quickly.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-13-2011, 12:12 PM

I wouldn't think those seeds can block the water drains at the front of the windshield. Is it getting in through the heater vents? If so maybe its block. You might be able to check with a garden hose. Water should run out either side with it coming down the window from the hose.

I must have missed it. I got into Montreal Friday and it was warm and sunny. Sunday on the way out back home a few heavy down pours though.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-14-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Nope the heater vents are fine, the water is for sure coming in via the dome light.
I was bringing the car into my dealer today to care for a small fender scrape so once there I hope they can look into and resolve the deluge i have endured.
Thank you.

Last edited by i2canoe; 06-16-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-14-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe View Post
Nope the heater vents are fine, the water is for sure coming in via the dome light.
I was bringing the car into my dealer today to care for a small fender scrape so once there I hope they can look into and resolve the deluge i have endured.
Thank you.
The the only way is via the rack rails on the sides of the roof. Man I feel for you, that can run everywhere.

Good luck

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #5 of 8 Old 06-16-2011, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Leaky sunroof UPDATE

Well I spoke with the service manager this afternoon, sunroof drains were blocked with those dam maple seeds. I guess four years worth. He told me I have to keep the channels clean.
Anyway, the seats are out, the centre console is out, the carpets were out in their yard drying in the sun, the under-padding was out drying. He said there was much water and would never dry properly.
Here is the real kicker, I said that it sounds like with was going to cost me a whole more than I imagined, well its going under warrantee.
Kudos to five star service.
Just hope they get it all back together nicely (by tomorrow) i miss it.
(Even thought the rental I got was a Ford Escape with just 1000km - it's an automatic my left foot is lost without a clutch. lol )
post #6 of 8 Old 06-21-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Leaky sunroof Conclusion

Picked up the Compass Friday morning, all back together, nice and dry.
The plastic sunroof air deflector (visor) thing I installed this spring was not re-installed.
Service manager recommended not putting it back, seems to have been a natural leaf trapper. I suppose another dealership might have refuted a warrantee claim as the problem may have been caused by the added deflector. After 50,000km seems the "Gold Plan" had value, I had no idea and was thankful for the body shop manager for checking my coverage. Even my regular service advisor on the other side was surprised.
They did a perfect job in vanishing the scrape I had inflicted as well.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-21-2011, 12:27 PM

Alway good to hear a Compass issue gone bad come out with shining colours and clean in your case. It certain good to hear the cleanup was first class and warrantied. Also it sound like that dealer is a keeper !!!

We have a Ford Explorer (my sons) and it has a sun roof and we both had a close look. With it closed the is no way for anything (whirly bird maple seed or other types) to get past the seal when its closed. We opened it and the channels were spotless not a spec of anything in there and the holes clear like new. He doesn't open the glass unless it clear and clean.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 8 Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 PM

Where is the drain channel at? Mine has been leaking for months. After reading this, I guess it is not the rubber seal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in