2011 Jeep Compass heavily corroded crossmembers - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 04-15-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Angry 2011 Jeep Compass heavily corroded crossmembers

Hi there. I am hoping someone can give me some advice. Last week I took my Compass in for a recall on the catalytic converter and an oil change. When they were done, they called me to tell me it needed some minor maintenance like coolant service and breakfluid, etc. But the big kicker was them telling me my front and rear crossmembers are heavily corroded and my car was unsafe to drive. When I went to pick it up they put it on the lift to explain what was going on. Now, Jeep apparently knew about this issue that is why they extended the warranty on this but the dealer tells me Jeep will only cover the frame and I will have to replace all the components attached like a new suspension and all that. So, I have to fork out almost $2000 for this fix. Does anyone else see a problem here? If Jeep knows about this problem and they extended the warranty to cover the fix, why should I have to pay anything? If there was nothing wrong with my frame, I wouldn't need to replace the suspension or anything else they tell me might break off when they tear my car apart. I have called the Jeep Warranty people, and they keep telling me the same thing that it is my responsibility. Also, I just had brand new tires put on it about 8 months ago and at my last oil change they rotated my tires. How come they didn't make me aware of this situation then? Because it didn't happen overnight. I just don't understand why. Any thoughts on this situation?

Last edited by Jennifer Leigh; 04-15-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-16-2019, 03:36 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Welcome, Jennifer! Sorry about your problem.

A lot of this depends on the integrity of your dealer. Its anyone's guess if they're trying to cheat you or if the parts are simply worn and it would be cheaper for you to do all the work now instead of piecemeal. Are they trying to save you money in the long run, or treating you like a cash cow?

I'll tell a story of a good dealer I knew a few years ago where I formerly lived. A woman from my church was driving a bucket-o-bolts that was leaking oil. She was in pretty rough straits financially and I recommended this dealer because I knew they were honest. They basically declined to work on her car: one thing would lead to another and the cost would be more than it was worth. It would just be a cluster and they didn't want to invest their reputation in a hopeless case.

Similarly I had some work done on a previous vehicle I owned. I forget what it was but they were working on something else and said the water pump was headed south. I could get a few more months out of it, but they'd save me labor since they were already in there. I trusted them and had them do the work.

Another time I had a tranny leak (covered under warranty). My dealer offered to replace the transmission filter for the cost of the part since FCA was already paying for the disassembly, new gasket, and new fluid. I think it was about $50. If I'd waited another 10,000 miles for the recommended interval I would have paid several hundred bucks for them to do the same work all over again, plus the filter. They gave me good advice and I took it.

On the other hand, some dealers will get a customer for all they can while they've got them. So it all depends on the relationship you have with the dealer. If you've been bringing it to them for service right along 1) they should have seen the rust problem, or 2) they should recognize the value of a regular customer and not abuse you.

I guess if I were in your shoes I'd ask how far gone those suspension parts are. How many miles/months are they good for? If they'd last a year, you might sell or trade your car before that or at least be in a better financial position to afford the work. Have them do the covered work, and have them put the old parts back in -- that shouldn't cost you a dime. Also consider that a dealership usually costs more than an independent shop so it may be cheaper to have them put the old parts back in and have the other work done elsewhere. Ideally the dealership should do better work, but that's not always the case.

How many miles on your Patriot? If you're past 100,000 miles, those front end parts might be near the end of their service life anyway. On the other hand, if you had those parts replaced a year ago then they should be good for a while longer and the dealer is just trying to spook you.

One more thing. If you're really uncomfortable with the dealer, try PMing JeepCares on this website. They'll shepherd you through the process. Good luck and please let us know how it works out.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-19-2019, 12:46 AM

Well, nothing new here but this is the first 2011 I've heard of with this problem. Guess it will be 2012's next.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in