My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Get Through Firewall

26K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Mother_Superior 
#1 ·
I want to run wires for emergency lights (I am a EMT) and cant seem to find a way to get through the firewall into the passenger compartment. Any help would be great!!!! Thanks!

#2 ·
if you pull the carpet back on the floor starting at the top just above and behind where the gas and brake pedals are, you will see a rubber hose (its the ac vent drain) going into the floor, pull that out and you will have a hole that runs straight into the engine bay to run wires ect, it may be a bit tough to get the hose back in if you really stuff alot of wires in it, but I had no problems getting mine back in once I ran the power line for my stereo. PM me if you need more help.

#4 ·
There you go, that would be the one to use. You would not want to block the A/C drain and have it backup. Otherwise make a small hole and push a grommit in it beside the drain hole if there is nothing for the drill to hit going through. You got to check that though yourself.

Reactions: 10-64
#5 ·
The AC drain doesn't actually get blocked, I used this same technique on my 2008 Patriot and used it for 4 years with no problems, however if you found another way to get through by all means use that.

#6 ·
let me clarify my post. there should be a grommet, and that's where i would imagine it would be. this was the technique used on the dodge sedans in the 90's and early 2000's to get from the engine bay to the passenger compartment. you just cut a hole in the grommet and run the wires inside that. but i don't know for sure that the compass automatic still has the hole in the firewall for the manual, nor do i know for sure that it is unused on the automatic.

#7 ·
I needed to run power for my 2m/ham radio and I did it by following the main wiring harness from the engine compartment to the passenger area through the left fender well. Found this link: http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82210715AE.pdf It's for offroad driving lights but it shows how to route the wires. I would modify the instructions a bit: forget using a coat hanger, pull the grommet out (it will come out a bit) and poke a length of heavy wire through the grommet and then on inside. I was using 10 guage wire and that worked, it followed the main harness inside and then fell down where I could grab it. After you have enough inside, make sure your hole in the grommet is sealed and push the grommet back in.

#8 ·
I needed to run power for my 2m/ham radio and I did it by following the main wiring harness from the engine compartment to the passenger area through the left fender well. Found this link: It's for offroad driving lights but it shows how to route the wires. I would modify the instructions a bit: forget using a coat hanger, pull the grommet out (it will come out a bit) and poke a length of heavy wire through the grommet and then on inside. I was using 10 guage wire and that worked, it followed the main harness inside and then fell down where I could grab it. After you have enough inside, make sure your hole in the grommet is sealed and push the grommet back in.
I joined this forum specifically to say thank you sir. I was searching the webz forever to find a way through the firewall without drill. I found this thread and your post. Your post was tremendously helpful as I would never had firguered out that way to get to the wiring harness. Thanks for posting it. I know am bringing a thread back from the dead, but I feel this was worth it.

For anyone else searching, this worked on my 2016 Compass

#9 ·
I did this last night and it was a bitch but I eventually got it through. Installing a dash camera. I was too lazy to pull off any parts and just used some combination of wooden skewers, coat hangers and a sturdy thin metal rod. All is working now. Thankfully I didn't pinch my fingers in the door. That spot just forward of the driver's door accessibility I give a 4/10.

#10 ·
Jeep Compass Firewall passthrough

Just bought my daughter a new 2019 JEEP Compass High Altitude. Can't believe they dropped the ball in NOT equipping this thing with forward collision sensors. Or rear warning sensors for that matter. She's coming out of a BMW that had front sensors & rear sensors w/ camera but she likes to HEAR that warning while spun around in her seat backing up.... (camera useless in that position).

Anyhoo..... I already tapped into her reverse lamp wiring to install a simple license plate frame w/sensors to compliment her camera. Getting ready to install a forward facing camera at the nose and in searching the entire World Wide Web there is not one, zero, zilch, nada, none single walkthrough or even mention how to get through the firewall to send accessory wires or whatever through.

SURE.... Plenty of Wrangler write-ups and picts but the Compass isn't so accommodating as offering a little spongy hole at the A-pillar area passenger side door. So with my journey under the hood I decided to post the location (with Picts) of the exact location and technique I used in getting my way through a 2019 JEEP Compass firewall..... so here ya go......

First: Pop The Hood
Then: Look to the drivers side back wall, just below the cowel and behind the fuse box.
See that black plastic shield held against the upper firewall with the 5 pin clips? There's a recess behind that where there's a huge grommet that most of the wiring under the hood is bundled and sent through. If you contort your body under the drivers side dash and feel for that wire bundle you'd follow it right to that grommet but poking through at that location would result in a a dead end. You must remove that "shield" under the cowel before sending wires through. Oh and save yourself a sprained wrist and poke the grommet from the engine side with wire taped to your poker and pull it through the interior. I used 5 metal BBQ Skewers one next to the other in order to pierce a big enough hole in the rubber to fit 3 wires into. This was a big enough protrusion for my wires but not so big there was wiggle room around them. After pulling my 5 skewers I taped a wire to one and poked it through.... 3 times. after pulling the skewer out the rubber would close up on the wire making for a nice tight, zero air or water infiltration fit. No need to silicone a thing (as if you could anyway at those depths and angles).

So now for the folks like me who needs to see what the heck I'm talking about..... Here ya go.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.