Can I use a trolley jack? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 Old 06-23-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Can I use a trolley jack?

I just bought a trolley jack and axle stands so I can more easily change my wheels, 2 at a time.... (about to plastidip my wheels)

But I can't see where to safely lift it front or rear, nor where to use the axle stands safely.... Has anyone done this with their Compass?

User manual only says to use scissor jack

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2 of 16 Old 06-24-2012, 01:02 AM

Garage
You could go down to a tire place and get them to show you where to jack it up. I have seen the tire guys use trolley jacks with mine countless times its just a matter of where to put the jack..

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-14-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I went and asked a mechanic at Canadian Tire and he showed me the best jack and stand points (frame or control arm for jack, factory jack points for axle stands)

I tried but the trolley jack didn't lift high enough, argh! So its going back and I used the scissor jack....

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old 07-16-2012, 01:48 AM

I use a hydralic jack. I think its max is 15" but many times I am jacking and its not high enough. I put it on a 2 x 6 piece of board and it gives me the extra height.

I can't remember when I used a vehicles jack the last time. 10 years or more.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #5 of 16 Old 07-16-2012, 02:14 AM

Garage
Yeah a trolley jack is a hydraulic jack, right? Only other option is an air jack, but not sure what kind of air compressor you need for those. Scissor jacks are such a pain with all the twisting of the handle, slipping out of position half way up etc...

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-16-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDevil79 View Post
So I went and asked a mechanic at Canadian Tire and he showed me the best jack and stand points (frame or control arm for jack, factory jack points for axle stands)

I tried but the trolley jack didn't lift high enough, argh! So its going back and I used the scissor jack....
What size did you get and where you trying to jack from. Mine was from Canadian tire and is quite old now.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 16 Old 07-16-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got this one
Certified 2-Ton Garage Kit | Canadian Tire

2 ton but its max lift is 13" - I'll maybe swap it for a better one or just get a refund

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

post #8 of 16 Old 07-17-2012, 07:21 PM

Garage
you need jack stands that say they're for a truck. they can hold more weight, and they're more expensive unforunately
post #9 of 16 Old 07-28-2012, 07:47 PM

Hydralic Jack

Canadian Tire had a jack on sale at the moment with 15 1/2" lift rated a 2.5 ton. I looked at my old one it appears the sale or identical. Although I have had mine for at least 10 years. I have used it on an Jeep Grand cherokee, Astro Van AWD, Explorer and this Compass and Caravan.

Normally their is no problem lifting and getting the height for jobs. Occasionally on some points I've lifted I put the front on a piece of 2x6 board to get extra height. I would not buy one rated less than 2.5 tons since you can feel the effort in lifting some heavy points but has done it all.

Currently 40% off $36.99
09-1059-8

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 16 Old 07-28-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks tripplec, just got a refund on mine today, i'll take a look at that one you mentioned

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

post #11 of 16 Old 07-28-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDevil79 View Post
Thanks tripplec, just got a refund on mine today, i'll take a look at that one you mentioned
Test it out and be sure it doesn't leak etc. Keep the receipt stashed away. CTC will guarantee it automatically for 1 year if their is a problem.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #12 of 16 Old 10-01-2012, 01:57 PM

I just bought one last week. The price was right and needed a new one. I'll take the old one to the cottage for work while there. The old one was getting tired, leaking a bit and wheels rusted etc. But still works and jack any vehicle even twice the weight of the Compass like a Grand Cherokee or Ford Explorer.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #13 of 16 Old 05-02-2015, 05:15 PM

Garage
When I raise my car, I use the OE jack that came with the car but I usually raise one wheel at a time. I also use a jack stand for safety which I place under the bolt that fastens the subframe. This is a hard point that can be supported by the jack stand. I try to equalize the load between the jack and the stand so the weight is distributed between them.

I did find a way to rapidly raise the vehicle by using a Ryobi cordless drill to drive the socket wrench (19mm). I just set it to the high torque setting and up she goes…quickly!

Of course you can use other brand of cordless drill as long as it has enough power. I just happened to own a Ryobi so that's what I use with great satisfaction.

My girlfriend uses a Sawzall… just kidding!!!

Last edited by jeepney_driver; 05-02-2015 at 05:17 PM.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-02-2015, 05:55 PM

Garage
I use my old HI-jack from my truck I have an adapter u use to fit from the wheel and I place the jack stand under the lifting point where the OEM jack would go
post #15 of 16 Old 05-03-2015, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepney_driver View Post
When I raise my car, I use the OE jack that came with the car but I usually raise one wheel at a time. I also use a jack stand for safety which I place under the bolt that fastens the subframe. This is a hard point that can be supported by the jack stand. I try to equalize the load between the jack and the stand so the weight is distributed between them.

I did find a way to rapidly raise the vehicle by using a Ryobi cordless drill to drive the socket wrench (19mm). I just set it to the high torque setting and up she goes…quickly!

Of course you can use other brand of cordless drill as long as it has enough power. I just happened to own a Ryobi so that's what I use with great satisfaction.

My girlfriend uses a Sawzall… just kidding!!!
I used an electric impact wrench with my stock jack, until I wrecked the jack using it............not sure if It was operator error or not, I just picked up another one from a junkyard.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #16 of 16 Old 05-04-2015, 02:06 PM

Can't say I ever used the factory jacks in decades. I have trolly hydraulic jacks and select a solid spot under the vehicle EG the A arm pivot point or closer to the wheel but never the rocker panel area's which would likely collapse if you did.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in