DIY's done so far on 2010 LTD - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dahozzman

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 10-30-2012, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb DIY's done last weekend on recently purchased 2010 LTD

This is a daily driver that will rarely if ever see something other than paved roads. So focusing on daily driver upgrades:

MOPAR Compass Front and rear mud guards. - Done
- Ridiculously easy to install. Now road splash evidence on (or worst rock damage to) white paint, especially at the rear, not so much a maintenance issue.

K&N Air Filter - Done
- Despite rumors, I could not find any tangible evidence there is an issue using these on our Compass's. I have K&N's in all my sports cars. The easier it is for your engine to breath, the easier time it has to do its job.

Most important, I went with the drop-in (vs. cone filter) as some engineer did a great job designing a cold air intake. Basic mechanics, the colder the air going in, the more power going out. If the Compass was turbo charged, I'd consider a cone to get more air flow. But it isn't, do I didn't. Thank you Amazon for great prices.

Cabin Air Filter - Done
- Done. I don't think it has ever been changed in its 57,000 mile prior ownership. Ridiculously easy to replace behind the glove box. Thank you Amazon for great prices.

Hard mount Gooseneck cell phone holder - Done
- Cell Phone NAV is a great alternative since it's constantly in a state of update, auto re-directs for traffic, etc. This mount gives a permanent location for mounting the phone with charger access and allows putting a convenient eye to the NAV as the car is being driven. And Google NAV is a free application for both Android and IPhone.

Do not ever use the phone mounts you get at auto parts stores that mount to plastic air vents unless you enjoy the time and cost of replacing plastic air vents.

UConnect Bluetooth - Done
- Bought the correct kit (reference to my VIN) from a dealer that gave great discounts. Also got the IPhone cable that goes with it. Eyeballed the installation instructions, called an internet technical reference as well as a few dealers with what questions the install instructions weren't clear on. It goes in this weekend.

Jeep Mopar cargo liner - Done
- Because my wife spends way too much time at Home Depot garden center.

Cargo area stock flashlight repair - Done
- Not working, but charging point contacts have power. So ordered a new battery. Part number found searching this web site. Thank you web site search engine.

Update: Battery arrived today, installed it, and now the flashlight works like a charm. It's a 1.2 V 500MAH part, model number ASC1155. I got mine off the Interstate battery web site. Varta Batteries - Battery replacement for various V500HT models

- Cargo Net, DONE

Possible future projects

Speakers
- Supplement existing REQ sound system with aftermarket retrofit for dash tweeters and rear cargo area sub-woofer. Will be consulting with my local car sterio shop this weekend.

Build in Radar Detector
- I'm also going to install a Passport remote mount radar/laser detector. One of those ounce of prevention things. Bonus to this kit is that it displays as a Volt Meter while in a state of rest between radar alerts. I hate that Jeep didn't include a Volt Meter as part of their standard gauge set. So this corrects that deficiency as well.

Additional Gauges
- I'd also feel much better if I had a Oil Pressure Gauge and (based on some posts I've read) a Transmission Oil Temp gauge. I'm not a fan of simple warning lights as by the time they come on the damage is pretty much already done.
Gustavo Mata likes this.

Last edited by dahozzman; 11-10-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-01-2012, 03:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahozzman View Post
This is a daily driver that will rarely if ever see something other than paved roads. So focusing on daily driver upgrades:

MOPAR Compass Front and rear mud guards.
- Ridiculously easy to install. Now road splash evidence on (or worst rock damage to) white paint, especially at the rear, not so much a maintenance issue.

K&N Air Filter
- Despite rumors, I could not find any tangible evidence there is an issue using these on our Compass's. I have K&N's in all my sports cars. The easier it is for your engine to breath, the easier time it has to do its job.

Most important, I went with the drop-in (vs. cone filter) as some engineer did a great job designing a cold air intake. Basic mechanics, the colder the air going in, the more power going out. If the Compass was turbo charged, I'd consider a cone to get more air flow. But it isn't, do I didn't. Thank you Amazon for great prices.

Cabin Air Filter
- I don't think it has ever been changed in its 57,000 mile prior ownership. Ridiculously easy to replace behind the glove box. Thank you Amazon for great prices.

Hard mount Gooseneck cell phone holder
- Cell Phone NAV is a great alternative since it's constantly in a state of update, auto re-directs for traffic, etc. This mount gives a permanent location for mounting the phone with charger access and allows putting a convenient eye to the NAV as the car is being driven. And Google NAV is a free application for both Android and IPhone.

Do not ever use the phone mounts you get at auto parts stores that mount to plastic air vents unless you enjoy the time and cost of replacing plastic air vents.

UConnect Bluetooth
- Bought the correct kit (reference to my VIN) from a dealer that gave great discounts. Also got the IPhone cable that goes with it. Eyeballed the installation instructions, called an internet technical reference as well as a few dealers with what questions the install instructions weren't clear on. It goes in this weekend.

Husky cargo liner
- Because my wife spends way too much time at Home Depot garden center. Thank you Amazon for great prices.

Cargo area stock flashlight
- Not working, but charging point contacts have power. So ordered a new battery. Part number found searching this web site. Thank you web site search engine.

Update: Battery arrived today, installed it, and now the flashlight works like a charm. It's a 1.2 V 500MAH part, model number ASC1155. I got mine off the Interstate battery web site. Varta Batteries - Battery replacement for various V500HT models

Future project
- Cargo Net
- Supplement excising REQ sound system with aftermarket retrofit for dash tweeters and rear cargo area sub-woofer. Will be consulting with my local car sterio shop this weekend.

- I'm also going to install a Passport remote mount radar/laser detector. One of those ounce of prevention things.
>>>>>>> - Bonus, the display is also a volt meter while in a state of rest between radar alerts. Unless someone can tell me where one is hiding, a volt meter is certainly something Jeep "forgot to include" with it's standard gauge set.

- I'd also feel much better if I had an oil pressure gauge and a AutoTransmission Oil Temp gauge (based on some posts I've read) with program-able alerts as well. Not a fan of simple warning lights as by the time they come on the damage is pretty much already done. So more projects in my future.
To this I couldn't agree more and you can't beat a filter that needs cleaned and oiled as opposed to paper filters! Are you planning on opening up the exhaust? Reason I ask is, you're correct, an engine that breathes better performs better, but more air in means more air out.

Have to say, awesome mod list, definitely keep us posted!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #3 of 5 Old 11-01-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Given the tight engineering of todays engine control system, I'd expect that system is looking for a certain amount of back pressure for optimum performance. Lesson I learned working on rotary engines, more free flow (at least for non-turbo) exhaust isn't necessarily better. So I need a lot more information before I start thinking about modifying the exhaust as there is a balance point there somewhere that needs to be considered.

As to the intake, an engine is only going to take in what air it needs. So no risk of upsetting the balance of things. The K&N simply makes it a bit easier for it to do that.

Last edited by dahozzman; 11-10-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-07-2012, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Update

Update to my other to do's,

UConnect - Installed and turned on
UConnect installed and turned on at my local dealer (I live near Ontario, CA as hint). I also picked up a blank key FOB off EBay had them cut it and do necessary programming so I had back-up. Most dealers wanted anywhere from $50 - $125 to turn on the UConnect and again for the FOB. My local dealer did it for free and let me watch them do it. So guess who has earned all my dealer service work when ever I need dealer service work.

Upgrade modifications to stock sterio speakers - I've got a plan
Feedback from my stereo shop was about $400 all in for adding the dash tweeters with suggestion of replacing the front and door speakers for another $150 - 200. Or for all in $1,500 do modifications to reduce the signal output to a low level that would in turn run to an aftermarket amplifier that would in turn send a much cleaner signal to all speakers including the added Tweets and a sub-woofer. After all, the quality of the signal being sent to the speakers has a large effect as to what comes out of them.

However, my hearing basically sucks for the high tones so I wouldn't really realize the benefit of the "cleaner" sound, although I certainly appreciate the idea behind it. Regardless, I definitiely need to step up the higher frequency sound reproduction, so focusing on the Tweets. I think I'll let the shop do the hard work retrofitting the dash tweets and I'll hit the broad market listening to various speakers’ makes and models for the doors to see which sound s(t)weeter to my ears and help bring out a bit more of the lows in the process. Good enough for my purposes.

New DIYS projects

Back-up Camera/Monitor - Ordered
I decided a back up camera would be a good thing for my Compass what with all the view obstructions by B Pillars and headrests. I have a 230 head unit, so no video screen to tap into, need a kit with a separate monitor. I found a kit on EBay otherwise made for a Jeep Commander that upon check out the specs looks to do the job. So I just bought it.

Wiring - Checked the wiring diagram for it to the diagram for my Compass, same connectors etc. Since the Commander is bigger than my Compass, the wire looms should be plenty long. Aside for video feed wiring, only three wires to deal with. Positive and Negative is sourced at the (formally known as) cigarette lighter via Y connector into stop plug, and third wire taps into the positve that feeds the back up lights giving a trigger signal to turn on the monitor. Easy money.

Monitor mounting - Currently designed to mount to the drivers side A Pillar down where it meets the dash in the Commander. Won't be able to say for sure that's where I'll end up in my Compass until I recieve the kit and do some test fitting, but I have a couple alternate ideas for that.

Wood Overlay, interior accents - Ordered
There is SO much plastic to the stock interior, it seemed something was needed to break it up akin to what Jeep does to their Grand Cherokee with wood accents. So I did some homework as to which aftermarket manufacturer had the best reputation for fit and finish and chose a wood overlay kit with wood type that would tie to the otherwise black interior. More, I think the 2007-08 Grand Cherokee got the amount of wood and where they put it right. So I'll probably only install part of the kit following that lead.

Lower Grill - Done
Added one of these to my White Compass today and the picture below does NOT do justice to how much it improved the look of the front of my First Gen 2010 Compass. The polish aluminum face of the bars tie into the silver front bumper overlay while the black powder coated rest of the fins tie to the Jeep 7 slot black grill work really really well.

Easy installation, two screws into a backing plate. That's it. Took me all of 10 minutes to install, and that because my grandson was "helping".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeep Compass lower grill aftermarket.jpg (31.8 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by dahozzman; 11-10-2012 at 03:01 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-24-2012, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE:

Back up camera installed.
Instructions for the Commander might as well as been for the Compass as well. And, as I'd guessed, a WORLD of difference to rear view as backing up. It also had some red dots giving reference point to how close you are to rear obstructions.

Remote Radar/Laser detector installed
Always good to know when Leo is lurking behind the bush's. And it sure is nice having the volt meter side benefit. Now if I can figure out a way to install an oil pressure and trans fluid temp gauges in a way that looks like it was factory installed, I'll be completely happy.

Wood accent overlay installed
Went with Black Walnut as the black grain tied to the otherwise black interior. I went with the theme of the 2005 Grand Cherokee where the wood accents were all around armrest level or lower.

I also found a gear shift knob in my box of madness I'd previously used for one of my sports cars, and it match's the wood very well. So it went in as well and boy does it finish it to a just like factory look.

So all that's left is to upgrade my speaker system. After doing my homework, I'm going with a Soundstream door speaker set up. Related, I received the adaptor brackets so I can stock mount tweeters at the dash locations. Going with Infinity Tweets.

Last edited by dahozzman; 11-30-2012 at 03:51 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in