cleaning throttle body - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jc11compass

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 05-18-2013, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

cleaning throttle body

I recently tried cleaning the throttle body on my 2011 Compass. But, I was told not to force open the throttle since it's electronically controlled. However, my understanding is I need to clean behind the throttle opening otherwise I really haven't cleaned it. Can anyone give me some direction on how to clean the throttle body if I'm not supposed to manually open the throttle to clean inside it?

Thanks.
wojeda likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-19-2013, 02:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc11compass View Post
I recently tried cleaning the throttle body on my 2011 Compass. But, I was told not to force open the throttle since it's electronically controlled. However, my understanding is I need to clean behind the throttle opening otherwise I really haven't cleaned it. Can anyone give me some direction on how to clean the throttle body if I'm not supposed to manually open the throttle to clean inside it?

Thanks.
Can you please advise how you clean it??. I do my maintenance, but cleaning the trottle body concerns me. I do not have access for that. lift the truck??
please help.

My undertanding is that if you open the valve is not an issue, then you close it back, the electronics will "learn" the position and thats it.. The repair manual of a 2008 compass, does not have a warning or so related to move the blade. The installation procedure only says to disconnect battery, after installation just connect the trottle cable and ready. What does said, is the trottle body is a DC motor, and this part is not serviceable (wich i dont think, all know this usually gets dirty and needs to be cleaned with some solution).

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
post #3 of 3 Old 04-19-2015, 08:23 PM

Garage
Cleaning the TB unit

It is best to remove it if you want to do a thorough cleaning. Here's how I did mine.

1. Remove the air filter box to allow more light to shine in the TB area.
2. Disconnect the air intake temperature sensor (IAT)
3. Loosen the clamp for the flexible air pipe. This is a 8mm screw.
4. Carefully pull the air pipe until it disconnects from the TB unit.
5. Remove the bracket that is holding the TB unit.
6. Remove the remaining screws that hold the TB unit to the manifold.
7. Slightly pull the TB unit away from the manifold to gain access to the electrical connector. Disconnect carefully.
8. At this point there is a chance you might drop the TB unit to the floor so be careful. It is a good idea to put a cushioning material down on the floor before starting this job just in case the TB unit gets dropped it does not get dinged in any way.

The TB unit is sealed. You cannot open it to inspect the workings. There is a stepper motor, some gears and springs inside plus some electricals.

9. After completely removing the unit. You can use a good carb or TB unit cleaner. DO NOT MOVE THE PLATE MANUALLY. Just clean it and wipe dry. You can use compressed air to blow away dirt also.

10. Inspect the ring gasket and the lower part of the manifold just to make sure no dirt dropped in.
11. A note of caution: The manifold is made of some type of plastic. It is not indestructible. Do not cross thread the screws and do not overtighten.
When reassembling do not forget to reconnect wiring connections.

The area you will be working in is rather tight so there is a chance you will get scratches or cuts on your hands. Just be careful.

To maintain cleanliness of the TB unit for a long time, make it a habit to clean/replace the air filter regularly. I clean my air filter at least once every couple of weeks. Its easy. Filter on this car is very accessible. Use compressed air(better) or vacuum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in