Cleaning trottle valve + replace spark plugs and air filter - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tripplec

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cleaning trottle valve + replace spark plugs and air filter

This weekend i just replaced the air filter and the spark plugs (quite difficult to find BOSH here, at the end i bought CHAMPION), every thing good replaicing the air filter and the spark plugs.

BUT

when i tried to clean the trottle valve......... i was very difficult to remove the hose connected to the trottle valve itself. there is no space inside that place, i virtually got some small cuts trying to get my hand inthere.
Well finally i remove the hose and cut a cable holder (replaced later with a pvc cable tie).

I clean the trottle from outside with a carbcleaner and a rag. I found it very dirty (100,000 Kms), i used lots of carbclean and then use the rag. I couldnt open the flap ( i got scared), it seems very delicate so i didnt try hard.

Well when i start the engine couple of hops... buy now the truck is much better..... smooth i would say, today i run 200 km and it was very good. I think is the combinatio between sparks/air filter/clean trottle.

I miss my trottle on the top of the engine!!!

cheers

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-08-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojeda View Post
This weekend i just replaced the air filter and the spark plugs (quite difficult to find BOSH here, at the end i bought CHAMPION), every thing good replaicing the air filter and the spark plugs.

BUT

when i tried to clean the trottle valve......... i was very difficult to remove the hose connected to the trottle valve itself. there is no space inside that place, i virtually got some small cuts trying to get my hand inthere.
Well finally i remove the hose and cut a cable holder (replaced later with a pvc cable tie).

I clean the trottle from outside with a carbcleaner and a rag. I found it very dirty (100,000 Kms), i used lots of carbclean and then use the rag. I couldnt open the flap ( i got scared), it seems very delicate so i didnt try hard.

Well when i start the engine couple of hops... buy now the truck is much better..... smooth i would say, today i run 200 km and it was very good. I think is the combinatio between sparks/air filter/clean trottle.

cheers
There is trottle body cleaner specific for that job but as we are finding out. Very little is easy to do on this. Hmm I can think of anything easy.

That blood does not lube the intake in case you're wondering. Whisky yes but not blood. LOL
wojeda likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-19-2015, 05:03 AM

Garage
Carbon deposits in the throttle body?

That black dirt that sticks to the throttle plate and inner surface of the throttle body is most likely not carbon deposits. Carbon is produced when there is combustion. There is no combustion in the throttle body. That black dirt is very fine dust mixed with fuel vapor and moisture. They build up and turn black looking like carbon. Best way to keep that dirt building up is to maintain the air filter effectiveness by cleaning/replacing regularly. I clean my air filter at least once every couple of weeks. I am fortunate to own an old air compressor that I can use for this chore. It is good to have an air compressor with a tank even a small 3 gallon one (bigger better). You can maintain your tires too. Lots of uses. By the way, 235800 miles and I still use the original air filter that came with the car. I have cleaned the throttle body only twice due to very little dirt. First time was when I cleaned the insides of my starter (had access to the throttle body when I removed the starter, 120000 + miles) and finally when I replaced the starter motor at 134600 miles. The throttle plate and body still had very little dirt. Note: Removing the starter requires the removal of the throttle body. Might as well clean it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-19-2015, 05:12 AM

Garage
Throttle plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojeda View Post

BUT

cheers

THANK GOD YOU DID NOT TRY TO MOVE THE PLATE! That plate is controlled by a special stepper motor on the cars drive by wire system. When I had my old dodge caravan's air conditioner serviced, a mechanic was working on a Cadillac. He moved the throttle plate manually. After he reattached everything the car won't idle. The engine was running high (4000 rpm) Hahaha! I guess he never went to the GM training class. (He worked in a small local garage)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in