replacing shock and strut - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 07-22-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

replacing shock and strut

its not really an article bc i got no pics to go with it sorry but here are two videos i took while replacing the shock and strut on my wife's jeep compass.

job involves compressing the spring after u have the assembly off of the car.

I bought the shock and strut from here PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts - 2007 Jeep Compass)

you can rent the spring compressor from Autozone (get the type in the vid its easy and safe) they will give u back the rental cost when u bring back their tool.

part1
Jeep Compass, Remove Front Shock and Strut-Part 1 - YouTube

part 2
Part 2-Jeep Compass Shock and Strut Replacement - YouTube

heres a quick breakdown.

Step 1. jack car up, remove tire and wheel

2. remove bolt that hold break line to strut

3. remove nut that holds track bar link to middle of strut (right side when looking at driverside shock and strut) this requires u to put and allen key in th ebolt while u back off the nut. mine was rusted...patience, loosen and then re tighten the nut while applying some WD40, kinda a 2 step foward 1 step back thing.

4. remove tie rod end from hub knuckle. take off nut and then use a hammer to hit down on top of the tie rod threaded end that protrudes above knuckle. Carefull not to damage threads!!! u might wana leave a nut on while u do this, also, hitting the knuckle itself is a good trick that might help the tie rod connection loosen up, just dont hit the actually tie rod! where the grease go's

5. remove two large pinch bolts from hub knuckle at bottom of strut. remove nuts first then tap out bolts with a hammer

6. push hub and brake rotor assembly down and out of the way. u may want to support it with a small jack during the rest of the job.

7. remove 3 nuts from engine bay that hold top of shock and strut assembly

8. shock and strut (and spring) will come out and down now. You will have to wiggle it a bit to get the link from trackbar out of the strut. The spring will not pop at this point no need to worry.

9. use autozone spring compressor to compress spring (see vid)

10. remove top nut off of shock AFTER spring is compressed. you will kno the load is off of the shock when u can rotate the top flange

11. pull off top flange, thin bearing(not sure on the name) and rubber doughnut, remember the order. then take out shock boot and then take compressed spring off of shock

12. put lower rubber seat on new strut then put on spring, then shock boot, then top rubber doughnut, then bearing, then flange, then nut. UR almost done!!!!!

13. Slowly release the spring. if ur doing it by hand it will be slow by nature. make sure all pieces are lined up correctly as the spring starts to come in contact with the upper doughnut. once the spring is totally uncompressed go put it back on ur car putting it back together in reverse order.

14. Have a beer and relax for a little knowing u just save 250$ or maybe more buy doing this urself

07 compass 2.4L 4x4 CVT: (all stock)
wifes car...when it breaks its my headache... Located in the US
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree with the following statement... DO NOT BUY A COMPASS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-23-2013, 02:11 PM

Garage
Thumbs up nice job

Way to do things yourself, save tons of money. I also have an 07, but its not cvt... just wondering how many miles your wife's has so I know when i might have to start worrying about my suspension... thanks for the vids
post #3 of 6 Old 07-23-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

she has just under 100K on the car.

the issue kinda came out of no where and got bad really fast, every little bump was causing really bad noises in the front end.

both shock boots were ripped and the passenger side shock has some minor oil leakage right now so im sure it wont be too long till i have to do this again

07 compass 2.4L 4x4 CVT: (all stock)
wifes car...when it breaks its my headache... Located in the US
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree with the following statement... DO NOT BUY A COMPASS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 06:59 AM

Nice video and write up. Will definitely dig this for future reference.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
she has just under 100K on the car.

the issue kinda came out of no where and got bad really fast, every little bump was causing really bad noises in the front end.

both shock boots were ripped and the passenger side shock has some minor oil leakage right now so im sure it wont be too long till i have to do this again
Jeep redesigned the boot and Jounce for the struts. New part numbers in a TSB on the problem. I replaced mine when I had the struts out chasing a problem. The boot is much longer and keeps the shaft clean.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #6 of 6 Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 AM

replacing shock and strut

replace the stock system with a new one :Jeep DVD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HSL-SD-168G-186G-装车前后英文.jpg (63.0 KB, 13 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in