oil change - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brent

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 11-15-2014, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

oil change

Hi I am new here so I hope I am in the right forum I recently bought a 2012 jeep compass I don't know if the oil has ever been changed here is my problem when I went to but new oil in the engine about 1 inch below the oil cap there is a piece of plastic which seems like it has to be removed in order to fill with new oil but I am not sure if this would be something from the factory that the dealer is supposed to remove or if it is supposed to be left in I cant even but a funnel in because it wont allow it and if I try to pour it in it will fill up and over flow is anyone familiar with this

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-16-2014, 10:08 AM

Garage
ill be honest with u on this one I bought my jeep new and done 2 oil changes in it like and I did them my self mine doesn't have a plastic pic under my oil cap did u buy it at a dealer or used off someone
post #3 of 7 Old 11-16-2014, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

I bought it used I know in older vehicle if you removed the cap you could see the top of the engine but with this you cannot see anything but this piece of plastic I thought it might have been something that the factory installed so know one could tamper with the engine on shipping but it was never removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-16-2014, 06:55 PM

You'all could be talking about different engines. As you're new here the benefits of a detailed signature clarifies a lot.

The 2.4L engine has a plastic piece under the cap in my engine preventing a funnel from going well inside for ease of filling. You have to hold the funnel used to keep it from falling over. Pour nicely and all is well. I don't know why they have it there but I just live with it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks I checked a couple of other vehicles with the 2.4 and they all have the same I don't think the oil was changed in a while I had a mechanic look at it and he thinks slug from the old oil has plug everything so now we will remove the valve pan and try to clean everything up I will let you know what he finds
post #6 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 04:38 AM

Garage
You might have some sludge problem which prevents the oil from going in smoothly. Do not pour oil in too fast or you might have overflow. Use good oil such as mobil 1, G-oil or castrol edge. Make sure you keep air filter clean or replace it often. Dirty air is the big engine killer. If you live in colder areas or where there is lots of rain, you might want to look into using some good fuel additives such as sea foam, techron etc. I use sta-bil. Use something that will counter the bad effects of ethanol in the fuel. Ethanol causes a lot of problems with your injectors, fuel lines , pump and filter. I hope these tips will help you keep your car running good. Check out my other posts for more info and tips. You might find them useful.

Last edited by jeepney_driver; 04-19-2015 at 07:10 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
post #7 of 7 Old 11-19-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

thanks to everyone the mechanic had to remove valve pan cover and clean everything up use some engine cleaner but everything back together added oil and let it run for half an hour and changed it again he did this twice and before putting oil in the third time he removed the oil pan cleaned everything up and put it back together everything is good now
BusterOz likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in