Kill that snake!!! - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeepney_driver

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 1 Old 04-13-2015, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Kill that snake!!!

I mean kill that rattling noise that seems to be coming from the bottom front part of the car. As you might have read in my other postings, I like to look for and eliminate sources of noise in any car I owned. I have found many sources of noise in the Jeep compass and for the most part I have eliminated them or reduced them to almost nothing but there was one particular noise that would not seem to go away. Its that little rattling noise that seems to indicate a looseness or wear in the suspension. I looked and I looked and in the process actually did a hell of an improvement to the life of the suspension in my car. (lubing the ball joints) Last weekend I decided to paint the roof rack mount and the plastic part that goes on each side of the windshield. They were easy to remove. I just pulled the windshield part forward away from the clips. The top end part inserts in the roof rack mount so be careful not to bend anything here. The rack mounts are held by torx screws. After I took them off I cleaned off the accumulated dirt. It is good I did this as I noticed some rust forming around the srcews. As for the long rack mount itself. It has a plastic component that works like a gasket. I cleaned them both but prior to painting, I glued them together with silicone sealant. I applied the sealant liberally especially around the squarish shapes that made contact to the inside of the rack mount. I used the black colored one. After painting it with trim and bumper paint (black) I reinstalled them and admired how much better it looked compared to the old greying color of the plastic. I did both sides of course and when I drove the car, that "strange noise" seemed to have disappeared. I wanted to make sure that is why I did not report it in the forum right away. After a few days of driving and trying to "hear" the noise I am now convinced that the plastic gasket was the source of the noise... kind of flapping inside the hollow rack mount. No wonder the sound was like that of pvc pipes banging each other. Really drove me crazy. Now when I play my favorite classical music I can almost hear the conductor's asthma.

My original intention was to paint the rackmounts but I was really greatly surprised when the noise disappeared. It was an accidental discovery.

Needless to say there were no snakes or any reptiles harmed during this process. Hahahaa!!!
Redmaxx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in