07 Jeep Compass 2.4L - Spark plug install - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 05-28-2015, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
YaB

Post 07 Jeep Compass 2.4L - Spark plug install

Hello everyone,

This is a DIY tutorial that covers the install of spark plugs, on a 2007 Jeep Compass 2.4L. I was surprised how smooth the install was. Here's what I will cover:
  • Parts
  • Tools
  • Spark plugs installation
  • Conclusion
  • References

Parts
  1. Spark Plugs - Bosch (9651) OEM Fine Wire Iridum Spark Plug
    • This is the spark plugs I purchased. Two reasons why I bought these, one, I like Bosch products. Reason number 2, it is pre-gapped. So you won't need a pre-gapping tool.

Tools
  • Crescent 3/8 DR Ratchet Handle
  • Crescent 3/8 DR 6" Extension
    • All websites and YouTube videos I found said to use at least a 9" extension. I was able to use just an 6" extension.
  • Crescent 5/8" Spark Plug Socket
    • This spark plug socket worked great for me. Inside of the socket is a rubber grommet, it holds the spark plug very well when removing the spark plug and installing the new spark plug back.
  • Crescent handle and TX30 bit
    • To remove screw from ignition coil.
  • Husky 3/8 Torque Wrench
    • I used a torque wrench because it was recommended from the material I was reading from. Since this was my first install, I bought it to be on the safe side. This tutorial will show you that I used a torque wrench. However, I can agree with most of the folks that installed their spark plugs, that you can securely attach a spark plug without a torque wrench. It is entirely up to you.
  • Permatex 81343 Anti-Seize Lubricant, 1 oz. Tube
    • To use on the new spark plug "threads" before installation, you'll see on the photos.
  • Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube
    • To grease the boot of the coil pack.

Spark plugs installation
  1. Open hood and you will see the black plastic cover.
  2. Remove the plastic cover and you'll have all 4 ignition coils exposed. What you will notice on the photo, I cleaned up the thick dust with just plain ol' water and a towel. The material I've read online, have suggested to be sure that the area is clean, so that nothing doesn't get into the wells of the engine, when removing the spark plugs.
  3. Here's a close up of 1 out of the 4 ignition coils.
  4. Remove the screw by using the TX30 bit.
  5. Next, disconnect the connection from the ignition coil.
  6. Slowly remove the ignition coil.

What the coil pack looks like fully removed.

Top view of the spark plug in the well, that's about to be removed.
  7. Get your 3/8 DR Ratchet, extension, and 5/8 socket, connect them together and insert into the well. Get the socket fitted onto the spark plug and loosen the spark plug.

Once you've loosen the spark plug with the ratchet, just slowly twist the the extension with your hand.

This is what the old spark plug looks like when its completely removed.

Left side is the old spark plug and right side is the new Bosch iridum spark plug.
  8. Apply the anti-seize lubricant on the threads.
  9. Insert the new spark plug into the 5/8 socket and insert back to the well.
  10. Hand tighten slowly, if you feel that the spark plug is stuck, do not force it. This is known as "cross-threading", you have to avoid it. I personally did not experience this, just take your time and hand tighten slowly. There's no need to rush.
  11. Once you feel that it's secured, now its time to use the torque wrench. I set the torque wrench on 20 (20 ft. lbs)
  12. Place the torque wrench on the extension and tighten until it "clicks". That's when you know that it's been tightened to where it needs to be.
  13. Before applying the grease, I cleaned up the boot with a damp towel. Apply the dielectric grease to the boot of the coil pack.

14. Insert the boot
  15. Tigthen the screw back
  16. Connect the electrical connector to the iginition coil.
  17. Repeat the exact steps, to the remaining spark plugs.

Conclusion
  • When it comes to car repair, I am a newbie.
  • I've heard how straight forward it was to remove and install new spark plugs, so I thought I'd give it a shot.
  • Very easy install. Of course, I took time to research, read articles, and view YouTube videos. I will provide references below.
  • Hope this helps, I figured I'd give back and help anybody that is hesitant with this install. Trust me, if I can do it, you can do it too!

References
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-12-2017, 02:43 AM

Wondering if the heat range of those plugs you use is too hot for the motor.

I've been around Dodge/Mopar since 2000 and these plugs are not good for their motors. I'm wondering how close it is with these engines....

Something to look into.. if you haven't already.

Hotter plugs hurt performance and MPG for a start.

:: 2017 Jeep Compass High Altitude ::
post #3 of 7 Old 07-18-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
YaB

Hey there 17JeepCompass!

Thanks for responding and your feedback. I installed these spark plugs a few years back and haven't had any issues.I also fill up gas every other week. However, I have been noticing, that when I accelerate, there's a slight "shake", it happens intermittently.

Would you suggest I should replace the spark plugs with OEM? I did find the OEM part number as: Mopar SP0ZFR5F11 Spark Plug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-18-2017, 03:24 PM

If it's breaking up on you after acceleration, get those plugs out of there. Go back to the oem plugs. Never a reason to vary off from the oem plugs from Jeep and plugs are very crucial so I never really mess around with those.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-19-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
YaB

Question Spark Plugs: SP0ZFR5F11 - Pre-gapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
If it's breaking up on you after acceleration, get those plugs out of there. Go back to the oem plugs. Never a reason to vary off from the oem plugs from Jeep and plugs are very crucial so I never really mess around with those.
I understand and I see the error of my ways. I've done a few searches specifically to the spark plugs (Part # SP0ZFR5F11), what I can't validate if these spark plus are pre-gapped? I assume that they already are, but don't want to immediately assume.

I wouldn't have to gap these spark plugs, correct?
post #6 of 7 Old 07-19-2017, 04:27 PM

They should be pre-gapped because they're a mopar direct product. Shouldn't have to gap them at all
post #7 of 7 Old 07-19-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
YaB

Awesome, I'll have it ordered and replaced when I get the chance, thanks for the feedback to both you and 17JeepCompass!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in