Wierd sound fron right front - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 12-31-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Wierd sound fron right front

I have an 07 Compass Sport FWD, 2.4,CVT, 57k miles.
I've had the ball joints/control arms replaced 3 times, as well as the outer tie rod ends 3 times.
The last time the ball joints were done was 5k miles ago, both sides.
I drive 8 miles of expressway to and from work and do not abuse the vehicle.
This thing has been a front end nightmare since 9,000 miles when the first set of tie rod ends went (so bad that it would change lanes upon accell/decell).
Now I have an odd sound and feeling coming from the right front.
When about 65 mph or more, on a sweeping right on the expressway, I get a rotational/speed specific "thunking" and its felt in the wheel. Only RIGHT, not when straight or LEFT.
I've tried lightly holding pressure on the brakes thinking it might have been a rotor slapping a brake pad, but it was still present. I rotated the tires front to back, and it stayed on the axle. I have had it on a lift, and everything appears tight.
Ideas?????? Would a wheel bearing do this? Wouldnt a wheel bearing show up as "off" all the time, not just when unloaded in a turn?
Thinking of cutting my losses and selling this thing.
Thanks ,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-03-2012, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Nobody ? Hmmm, This is a little frustrating, I really need some ideas here...
post #3 of 9 Old 01-11-2012, 12:35 AM

Garage
re Weird sound

Did you check the cv joint? Is the noise on a regular frequency or does it increase as you go faster? What type of road surface do you drive on... concrete or asphalt and how is the road surface... fairly smooth or rough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-13-2012, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Expressway, smooth surface.
The sound/vibration is only present in swooping RH turns on the expressway, not left or straight.
Like I said, it is a rotational frequency. I rotated the wheel/tire to the rear and it stayed on the front right axle.
It has been on a lift at the dealer, where I was told "everything is tight, keep driving it until it gets worse and bring it back so we can find the problem"....
post #5 of 9 Old 01-15-2012, 04:35 AM

Garage
Of course it could be a wheel bearing but your car has only 57k miles. Too new for a problem like that. I wish I could hear the noise. Can you record the noise and post the sound file?
post #6 of 9 Old 01-16-2012, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Its not as much noise as it is the vibration and steering wheel shake. The thunking is muted, but if you listen you can hear it. Soft pedal pressure did not make it go away, and like I stated, it's only when turning right, at freeway speeds, not left, not straight, and not slow.

Yes, 57k is too early for a wheel bearing, but 9k is too early for tie rod ends and 25k is too early for all joints, both problems I have had (several times).

I talked with a guy that worked on the line at Belvedere on these things. He told me directly that even HE wouldn't buy one. Says they were given parts that didn't fit right and were told to "make them fit", Daimlers cheap parts, etc....not too reassuring.

I'd like to get 100k at least out of it, but it's getting REALLY frustrating putting money into it, so many times, for the same problems over and over. When I bought it , I figured I wouldn't need anything other than tires, brakes, oil changes and air filters for 100k....but all this front end stuff is rediculous.

If it IS a wheel bearing, its not showing any runout when its up on the lift. I have not whacked a pothole,curb or anything either. I really take care of my stuff, which makes this even that much more frustrating.....
post #7 of 9 Old 01-18-2012, 02:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesurvivor View Post
Its not as much noise as it is the vibration and steering wheel shake. The thunking is muted, but if you listen you can hear it. Soft pedal pressure did not make it go away, and like I stated, it's only when turning right, at freeway speeds, not left, not straight, and not slow.

Yes, 57k is too early for a wheel bearing, but 9k is too early for tie rod ends and 25k is too early for all joints, both problems I have had (several times).

I talked with a guy that worked on the line at Belvedere on these things. He told me directly that even HE wouldn't buy one. Says they were given parts that didn't fit right and were told to "make them fit", Daimlers cheap parts, etc....not too reassuring.

I'd like to get 100k at least out of it, but it's getting REALLY frustrating putting money into it, so many times, for the same problems over and over. When I bought it , I figured I wouldn't need anything other than tires, brakes, oil changes and air filters for 100k....but all this front end stuff is rediculous.

If it IS a wheel bearing, its not showing any runout when its up on the lift. I have not whacked a pothole,curb or anything either. I really take care of my stuff, which makes this even that much more frustrating.....

One more thing you need to check. Take a look and inspect the engine and transmission mounts. If the mounts are loose or damaged, the shifted powertrain position could potentially cause the problem you describe. This is only my opinion of course but I would check them anyway just to make sure.

Also check the tires. I had goodyear RSA tires on my o7 compass and I had to replace them at only 45k due to loud droning noise they produced. Now I use Michelin hydroedge which I think are very good tires. My car now has 130000 miles and the michelins are still going strong.

tks

Jeepney_driver

Last edited by jeepney_driver; 01-18-2012 at 02:55 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

OK, I'll check the motor mounts. Its wierd that it only happpens in sweeping right curves ....
post #9 of 9 Old 01-24-2012, 02:00 PM

Well rotation issues pretty well convered. You've exclude the wheel bearing because of low millage. However they have been a problem (quality I guess). Like someone once said if you've eliminated everything else then what ever is left must be it.

Lateral stress on the wheel bearing failing will generate sounds and usually unpleasent ones. Jacking the wheel and doing the left right and top bottom rocking should show visible play at the bearing (probably have to take the wheel off unless is really really bad).

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in