Strange creaking noise from front - Jeep Compass Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 44 Old 01-14-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Strange creaking noise from front

I have been trying to figure out what I am hearing from the front passenger side of my Compass. This is been going on for weeks now. The temperature doesn't seem to affect it too much. I notice it when I go over small bumps or uneven pavement or potholes. I never hear the noise when going over a bigger bump or when both sides of the front suspension are affected. It's only when the passenger side moves. I've also noticed it when backing out of my garage or my parking spot at work. Once I've finished backing up and I start to move forward, in that first foot or two moving forward, I hear the same noise. We have lubed the sway bar bushings. We also removed the passenger side sway bar link and the noise was still there. If I know a bad spot is coming up in the road, I can usually slow down enough to make the noise not appear. However, the noise pops up at the strangest times - over spots in the road that you wouldn't think would create any noise. Spots that would almost seem completely flat. So I can't always avoid the noise. I don't know if just the fact of slowing down over the bad spot or applying the brakes is something to consider when trying to diagnose what this noise is. A lot of times it seems that if I just let up on the accelerator a bit over the bad spots, the noise will not be created. I am stumped. I could take it to the dealer but I'm sure that will end up being multiple appointments of them saying "it's normal" or "we can't hear it" or whatever. Or tons of parts being replaced. I'm not the type that has patience for that. I'd rather try to figure it out myself and then bring it to them with the problem so they can fix it. Or just fix it myself. I will try to attach a video of the noise. It may be hard to hear but it shows up between 15 - 17 seconds into the video.
http://youtu.be/pWgRcjveBe0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 01-14-2012, 08:14 PM

Simple checks:
With that wheel jacked off the ground. Worn ball joint and/or the lower arm bushings which the ball joint is on, (jack the wheel and grap at 12 & 6 oclock and rock is there play at the ball joint going in and out. You likely need and observer but if really bad you won't)

faulty front strut on that side (for that 1st check for fluid leak at the top of the strut, slide the black boot up and look/feel for oil at the piston shaft top end)

Otherwise strut assemble issue with wheel on the ground try and rock that corner up and down. It does take effort and see if that action causes the noise. If it does the strut if faulty or if they're a leak from it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 44 Old 01-14-2012, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

I was wondering about the control arm bushings - if those were the problem or not. I will try jacking the wheel up and rocking the wheel to check the ball joint.
I did some inspection around the strut this morning. I didn't see any fluid leaking. I also pushed on the front of the vehicle and didn't hear the noise. But I am a girl so I should probably have my boyfriend help in that regard.
Can the control arm bushings be greased somehow? I was looking around under there and wasn't sure how to go about greasing them, if that's what needs to be done.
I'm just surprised that I'm dealing with something like this when the vehicle doesn't even have 2400 miles on it yet.
Thanks for the tips!

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 01-14-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy2423 View Post
I was wondering about the control arm bushings - if those were the problem or not. I will try jacking the wheel up and rocking the wheel to check the ball joint.
I did some inspection around the strut this morning. I didn't see any fluid leaking. I also pushed on the front of the vehicle and didn't hear the noise. But I am a girl so I should probably have my boyfriend help in that regard.
Can the control arm bushings be greased somehow? I was looking around under there and wasn't sure how to go about greasing them, if that's what needs to be done.
I'm just surprised that I'm dealing with something like this when the vehicle doesn't even have 2400 miles on it yet.
Thanks for the tips!
Those bushings won't wear that quickly nor does ball joints. There must be something defective.
If you can get it to do it my specific driving. Call and talk to the service manager indicating you want it located and resolved. If you're not getting satisfactor or brushing it off or minimizing the issue I would contact other dealers and their manager before going down to get it looked into. A good mechanic should be able to issolate the problem for you.

Bushing aren't lubricated by the way. You could talk to you sales person and see what he can leverage as well. If you're able to demostrate the noise driving etc have a mechanic accompany you on a drive so he hears it.

Sorry, but good luck. You have to be persistant and put your wee foot down. Don't let them boss you about.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 01-14-2012 at 11:05 PM.
post #5 of 44 Old 01-15-2012, 04:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
I have been trying to figure out what I am hearing from the front passenger side of my Compass. This is been going on for weeks now. The temperature doesn't seem to affect it too much. I notice it when I go over small bumps or uneven pavement or potholes. I never hear the noise when going over a bigger bump or when both sides of the front suspension are affected. It's only when the passenger side moves. I've also noticed it when backing out of my garage or my parking spot at work. Once I've finished backing up and I start to move forward, in that first foot or two moving forward, I hear the same noise. We have lubed the sway bar bushings. We also removed the passenger side sway bar link and the noise was still there. If I know a bad spot is coming up in the road, I can usually slow down enough to make the noise not appear. However, the noise pops up at the strangest times - over spots in the road that you wouldn't think would create any noise. Spots that would almost seem completely flat. So I can't always avoid the noise. I don't know if just the fact of slowing down over the bad spot or applying the brakes is something to consider when trying to diagnose what this noise is. A lot of times it seems that if I just let up on the accelerator a bit over the bad spots, the noise will not be created. I am stumped. I could take it to the dealer but I'm sure that will end up being multiple appointments of them saying "it's normal" or "we can't hear it" or whatever. Or tons of parts being replaced. I'm not the type that has patience for that. I'd rather try to figure it out myself and then bring it to them with the problem so they can fix it. Or just fix it myself. I will try to attach a video of the noise. It may be hard to hear but it shows up between 15 - 17 seconds into the video.
100_3202[1].MOV - YouTube

I listened several times to your audio posting on youtube but I failed to recognize or decipher the sound. Perhaps if you can have someone bounce the front of the car up and down you might be able to find out where that noise comes from.

I have been doing a lot of noise hunting myself and I have succeeded in eliminating most of it. Believe me, noise in the jeep compass (and all other cars) comes from many locations. On my o7 the front and rear bumpers were noisy. The inside panels were noisy. The dashboard panels were noisy. The aluminum engine heat shield was noisy. The under car aluminum and plastic shields were noisy. The seatbelt pivot on the guides were noisy. The seat forward/backward lever was noisy. The rear spoiler was noisy. The third stop light in the spoiler was noisy. My inner tie rod ends are noisy. The door locks were noisy. I FIXED THEM ALL !!! Jeepney_driver
post #6 of 44 Old 01-16-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Well, here's what's stumping me the most - what I tested out the night I made that little video/sound clip of the noise. I found the bad spot to drive over and drove over it going about 25 mph, giving it gas, driving normal. Sound was there like crazy. The next time, I sped up enough before that spot so that I could coast over it and still be going around 25 mph. No noise. I tried it again, speeding up before the bad spot so that I could lightly brake over the bumps. No noise either. So here's what is baffling me...if it is a suspension component, shouldn't it make the noise regardless of whether or not I'm giving it gas, coasting, or lightly braking? Aren't the suspension parts still working as the vehicle is bouncing around over this bad road? Why would it matter whether or not I'm giving it gas or braking??? I mean, the vehicle is still going the same speed over that spot so you'd think the suspension would be affected the same way.

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #7 of 44 Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 PM

You're correct it should not make a difference acceleration or braking but the speed at which you take the bump will reflect on how much or how little the suspestion moves. I just listened to the clip and the only sound I hear sound like metal on metal creek to me. Struts likely to only generate hissing ands sweaking sounds.

Loose lug nuts is a posibility but a long shot if someone did not tighten the bolts properly the rim can scrape on the studs. I would think you'd feel that in the steering and taking corners as well as wheels are stressed one way and then the other.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 44 Old 01-16-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

I've never noticed anything with the steering or when I take corners. Only going straight over these bumps and hearing the noise. I don't "feel" anything or hear any other noises. I'm just sitting here scratching my head! lol

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #9 of 44 Old 01-16-2012, 04:40 PM

These thing rarely or rather never fix themselves. It likely just not moving or locked into place and not making any noise. Whenever you have it into a dealer ask them to check the front end. Stating that you occasionally hear weird noises and are concerned. It does not take them long on the hoist and they get paid for doing the repair!!!

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 44 Old 01-16-2012, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it.

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #11 of 44 Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Ok...I guess I was mistaken. Apparently the temperature does have something to do with the noise. As if I weren't already confused enough, it seems that extreme cold makes the noise stop. Now every vehicle I have owned prior to this Jeep, that has NEVER been the case. Cold weather usually brings out noises, not makes them disappear! lol It sat outside for about 4 hours this morning in temps around -5F. I didn't hear a peep when driving around town. So, if it's above zero by maybe 10 or more degrees, I can hear the sound, but not if it gets colder. Is something shrinking with the cold weather & not rubbing/creaking?

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #12 of 44 Old 01-20-2012, 10:47 AM

bushing on top of strutmount more than likely
BusterOz likes this.
post #13 of 44 Old 01-20-2012, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

So letting off the gas and/or lightly braking over these little imperfections in the road, while maintaining the same speed, would stop a strut mount bushing from making noise? Would you be able to explain that for me because my brain can't comprehend that! lol
Thanks!

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #14 of 44 Old 01-20-2012, 03:12 PM

Ok let me try and help your "brain" get your head around this explanation.

You got front wheel drive in your 4x4 and the rear wheels are part time activated on a dection of a spin. The front struts as well as the lower control arm support the wheel assembly and both take the stress when the wheel is pulling or slowing down, forward and backwards not just for up down suspension travel. If anything is moving or worn in the bushing or not tight enough with the weight and that action it could very well generate the noises.

When pressing the gas one front wheel is typically only doing the pulling getty up and go...so to speak. The forces are transfer back through the when mountings and the struts long tower is one of them.

There was a TSB on bad bushing in the struts up to April 2009 in some of them but should have been a non issue in a new Compass. But who knows. The dealer has to figure it out and they should have tech that can think and figure out whats causing the noise.

Cheers. I hope this is not giving you a headache. LOL

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #15 of 44 Old 01-20-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

lol The headache is getting better after that explanation! lol I never thought about the movement of the wheel forward and back - only thought about it up and down. This would explain why I sometimes hear it when I first step on the gas when going from reverse to drive. Now, if I'm understanding this correctly, could it be that when I'm giving the Jeep gas over the bumps, that something is sitting in the correct position to make the noise, but once I let off the gas or brake, then it shifts and isn't in the correct position to make the noise??

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #16 of 44 Old 01-20-2012, 03:42 PM

Yes, there is an amount of compression in the suspension going up and over and down more so than when it flat roads. The strut assemble would be an excellent candidate on the side you're hearing if from but both sides should be replaced as a pair since they can be different. Rubber material gets harder as it get colder and metal shrinks.

Laws of physics, if your wheel is pulling you it also pushing on something else haul the weight of the vehicle. Your wee frame would not make any difference in the vehicle.

Have the dealer look at it. I know there is nothing more anoying than enduring a problem that shouldn be there on a vehicle (new especially). With your millage the full warranty will be up before its even broken in properly or control arms which are known to fail early may even take place.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #17 of 44 Old 01-21-2012, 04:22 PM

I had what "sounds" like a similar problem, I thought it was front end for sure. turns out is was the rear suspension, Lower control arm I think. It toll my dealer twice to fix it right and it is quite a job as they have to go at it from the inside through the spare tire compartment. Not sure if there is a TSB as they put is additional parts the second time and there was no charge.
I do have a bit a fluid grind up front now but they said my front passenger strut was starting to weep so next spring when I get an alignment I will replace it.
Send your searchers to the rear of the Jeep.
post #18 of 44 Old 01-23-2012, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

From what I could hear this morning, it sounded like the noise was right under the hood. So I would suspect the strut mount, but I could be way off. Who knows. The Compass has an appointment with the dealership on Thursday. I will keep everyone posted as to what they do or don't figure out.

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #19 of 44 Old 01-26-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

This always happens.... The Jeep makes noise for days and the day that I finally get to take it to the dealership, you can hardly hear the noise. COME ON! I can hear it, not very loudly, but it IS there. However, to get someone else to hear it, that has never heard the noise before, will be near impossible. I do not have any faith in them figuring this out for me today.

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #20 of 44 Old 01-26-2012, 01:57 PM

Wink

Quote:
This always happens.... The Jeep makes noise for days and the day that I finally get to take it to the dealership, you can hardly hear the noise. COME ON! I can hear it, not very loudly, but it IS there. However, to get someone else to hear it, that has never heard the noise before, will be near impossible. I do not have any faith in them figuring this out for me today.
Seeing that you can't cross toes, cross your fingures LOL. You've done what you can admirably at that and with them pointed in the right direction they should be able to determine what is defective and/or loose and resolve it accordingly. Its good to have an alternate dealer to take it to if you don't seem to get anywhere. I use two myself but have been to as many as FOUR over the years. Closest is not always best and depends on the reputation. Talk to the service manager and/or the salesman if its the selling site. Even while its there. Communications is key, the more info they have the better.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #21 of 44 Old 01-26-2012, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

I did write up a whole letter explaining everything that I could possibly think of to help them determine what the problem might be. Hopefully that will help.
As far as finding another dealer, that could get interesting. The one I would prefer to go to is in a town that is part of the oil boom in ND and they are very busy. But it would be worth a shot to at least call and see if I could get it in, if nothing happens here today. The other dealership is about the same distance away and I was not impressed with the guy I talked to a couple of months ago when I had issues with the sway bar bushings making noise. He was very rude to me and I ended up hanging up on him.

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #22 of 44 Old 01-26-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

I called the dealership just now since I hadn't heard from them all day. I didn't have a chance at work today to call earlier to see what was going on. Well, they had two different guys drive it around and the damn thing would NOT make any noise. I asked him if they even looked at anything or tried to tighten anything up. He said they didn't because they didn't even know where to start! I understand that. I mean, if you can't hear anything, where do you begin? The guy I talked to lives fairly close to me. He said that if it starts to act up again that I should call him and have him ride with me so he can hear it. I'll have to take him up on that offer because this is just crazy!!!
rrwatson likes this.

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #23 of 44 Old 01-26-2012, 09:39 PM

I guess it wasn't cold enough as per earlier post. Its really frustrating when that happens and even more when I can hear a problem and they say. I don't hear anything.
It sounds like they tried. Ahhh

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #24 of 44 Old 01-26-2012, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Wonder if they went joy-riding in it! lol It almost makes a person feel like they're crazy. "It makes a noise...I swear it does. It's not just in my head!" lol
We'll see what happens. I'm sure tomorrow it will be ungodly noisy! Maybe I should just invest in some ear plugs?

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #25 of 44 Old 01-26-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Wonder if they went joy-riding in it! lol It almost makes a person feel like they're crazy. "It makes a noise...I swear it does. It's not just in my head!" lol
We'll see what happens. I'm sure tomorrow it will be ungodly noisy! Maybe I should just invest in some ear plugs?
Is it loud and clear enough to record it on a cell phone or even old style walkman. I did that one with an engine I had piston slap with. A thought then they'll have something to hear.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #26 of 44 Old 01-26-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Well, I do have it on my camera - that video I had posted. I could try emailing it to someone there. That would be an idea. I could call the guy up and ask him if I could send the video his way. That's a good idea.

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #27 of 44 Old 01-26-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Well, I do have it on my camera - that video I had posted. I could try emailing it to someone there. That would be an idea. I could call the guy up and ask him if I could send the video his way. That's a good idea.
Yes a great start. I new my brain wasn't past its sale by date yet. LOL

If you're on a laptop bring that in and run it in front of them so they hear it. Then say can you fix it this time that you've heard it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #28 of 44 Old 01-27-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

We got about 4 inches of snow last night. So all of my "test" areas are full of snow right now, making my trip to work very quiet. Too bad we couldn't have a normal winter this year. I may have not heard much of this noise! It was fun driving in what little bit of snow we got. I was making my own path!

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #29 of 44 Old 09-04-2012, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Apparently it got cold enough last night for the dreaded noise to return. It's starting out like it did last year. Right now it just sounds like a "clopping" noise - like the sound a horse hoof would make on pavement. *sigh* I'm really not looking forward to this again.

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #30 of 44 Old 09-04-2012, 01:13 PM

Sounds like a flat spot and/or belt defect in a tire. I was very common in cold weather before Radial tire came onto the scene.
NOTE: Tires have a very limited warranty reference your owner manual literature. Maybe a year. The manufactures tire shop show spot it when its cold. Otherwise you'll be fighting with the dealer since they'd have to pay for it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in