Use of camber kits!!! Pros/Cons - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Use of camber kits!!! Pros/Cons

I just change all struts (rear and front), i change all springs also (maybe too drastic, the front springs showed a diference of lenght).
Now i have struts/springs all news. I feel really good when in the hiway.
But during aligment, the front side shows 1.2 negative camber (both sides).
Im looking after camber bolts to fix this. Can anyone helpme on this pros/cons. Maybe i got installed wrong springs?
1.2 is too much? i drive yesterday about 100mph and it feels really good, soft as velvet.

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 01:06 PM

I am no front end expert by a long short. Its handling and riding great then leave it like that and watch your tires for uneven wear. Although some may be normal.

Those rear strut must have been a big job. I got new one from warranty because they were leaking and it took them quite a while.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 02:23 PM

I drop my compass 3 inch's with upper camber bar from realtune. Set -1 negative camber all 4 wheel for better handling so -1.2 it's'not to bad for you tire.

If you need upper camber bar let's'me know.

now -1 camber all four wheel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 02:30 PM

post #5 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 02:39 PM

Those bar are for correct the rear camber. Because i got coilover with camber plate ton top of the strut. Sorry i read too fast.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-30-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojeda View Post
I just change all struts (rear and front), i change all springs also (maybe too drastic, the front springs showed a diference of lenght).
Now i have struts/springs all news. I feel really good when in the hiway.
But during aligment, the front side shows 1.2 negative camber (both sides).
Im looking after camber bolts to fix this. Can anyone helpme on this pros/cons. Maybe i got installed wrong springs?
1.2 is too much? i drive yesterday about 100mph and it feels really good, soft as velvet.
That most always happens when you lower most any independent suspenson car. And YES you will have substantial more inner tire wear if this is your daily driver. Keep in mind, the whole value of lowering your car is to lower the center of gravity so your car will corner more like a go cart. You shouldn't feel much difference while driving the straights of a freeway.

Pro's
If your daily commute involves driving twisy's, then perhaps worth keeping that negative camber for the improved cornering. Put your feet more than shoulder width apart, then put put all your weight on the inside of both feet, and then shift your weight side to side and you'll feel what your car is feeling.

If you are a weekend autocross warrior (I am), then definitely a good thing as well as is a fair compromise for daily driving and weekend track attacks. You'll be super grinding away the outsides of the tires so much during those weekends that the insides will hardly notice.

Con's
If this is primarily a daily freeway commute (which I suspect you are since you're drivng a 4 banger Compass), then you absolutely should invest in an aftermarket camber kit so the alignment can be brought back into specs. Negative 1.2 camber in this case could very well reduce your tire life between 30-50% since you primary rolling friction is on the inner 30-50% of that tire. After say 20,000 miles the outsides of the tire will look great but the inside could very well have exposed cord.

Perspective. I have strut top camber plates on my daily commute RX7 so i can easily create negative camber for those spirited weekends, and then easily put it back to neutral when I'm ready to drive home on my daily drive tires.

I will say that running excessive negative camber for the Beemers pictured might make sense, even worth the shortened tire life for the improved enjoyment of realizing the power those rides are putting to the road. But for a 4 banger NA still relatively high center of gravity Compass? Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, no.

Last edited by dahozzman; 10-30-2012 at 05:56 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in