Front Control Arms - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 03-02-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Front Control Arms

Hey guys. First time poster here and a new Jeep owner. My wife has a 2007 Compass and we recently took it to the dealer for front end noise issues. The dealer said we need to replace the front lower control arms and rated us a $600 repair. No sir.

I am in the Air Force and we are moving to England in a month for my job. I am a DIY guy and want to do this repair myself before we leave.

I'd be much appreciative if y'all can let me know the best place to get control arms (and possible tie rod ends) for this vehicle and also where I can find a manual (mostly needed for the torque specs.). I've spent an annoying amount of time searching for a dang manual for this vehicle!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-04-2013, 02:58 PM

Here's some info from the 2007 MK fsm:

INSTALLATION

1. Place the lower control arm into the front suspension crossmember .
2. Insert the rear bolt up through the crossmember and lower control arm.
3. Install, but do not fully tighten, the nuton the rear bolt attaching the lower control arm to the crossmember .
4. Install, but do not fully tighten, the front bolt attaching the lower control arm to the crossmember.
5. With no weight or obstruction on the lower control arm, tighten the lower control arm rear mounting bolt nut to 183 N•m (135 ft. lbs.).
6. With no weight or obstruction on the lower control arm, tighten the lower control arm front pivot bolt to 170 N•m (125 ft. lbs.).
7. Install the ball joint stud into the knuckle aligning the bolt hole in the knuckle boss with the groove formed in the side of the ball joint stud.
8. Install a NEW ball joint stud pinch bolt and nut. Tighten the nut to 82 N•m (60 ft. lbs.).
9. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Install and tighten the wheel mounting nuts to 135 N•m (100 ft. lbs.).
10. Lower the vehicle.
11. Perform wheel alignment as necessary.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2014, 12:47 AM

if u give me a few minutes ill tell you who NOT to buy from. I had a control arm weld fail from and aftermarket company....

07 compass 2.4L 4x4 CVT: (all stock)
wifes car...when it breaks its my headache... Located in the US
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree with the following statement... DO NOT BUY A COMPASS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-23-2014, 07:22 PM

sorry, checked back through my email to find info on the control arms i got for my wife a while back. couldnt find any info

i think they were mevotech but dont quote me on that till im sure

point is i cheped out and got an ebay pair and two years later one control arm snapped at the weld while stopping at a light.

after inspecting the part (weld inspection is part of my daily job as a field inspector for an engineering company) it was obviously a bad weld from teh factory.
this led to a bent tie rod end (which was relatively new) a new set of dealer supplied control arms, a bad half shaft seal from the cv axle pulling out of teh trans.AND A BIG HEADACHE.

ill try and find out for sure who the control arms were from so i can post it here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 Old 01-24-2014, 03:39 PM

I replace one of my control arms due to the ball joint wearing. It was struggle getting it in though.

I bought a pair since I thought the other side would fail soon but so far so good so its on hand for when I need it. I got them from a Canadian supplier via eBay and pretty sure they warrantied it.

That's bad that the weld broke. I doubt it would be MEVOTECH arm. They are also a Canadian company close by and I ask for their front end parts usually for my Grand Cherokee and Explorer. Parts are good and joints have grease nipples where needed.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #6 of 8 Old 01-25-2014, 06:08 PM

yea i have bought from them for various replacement parts for a few other cars before and never had a problem. like i said im not sure at this point what co. it was, still trying to find a receipt or email about the purchase

post #7 of 8 Old 06-06-2015, 07:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Here's some info from the 2007 MK fsm:
6. With no weight or obstruction on the lower control arm, tighten the lower control arm front pivot bolt to 170 N•m (125 ft. lbs.).
Some places says the pivot bolt torque should be 135 ft. lbs. Is this still okay?
post #8 of 8 Old 06-06-2015, 02:12 PM

Yes, Loose is a problem.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in