Rear Suspension Noise..???..... - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Rear Suspension Noise..???.....

I just had the Rear Latterel Links replaced, the Bushings showed considerable wear..Along with one Shock , the other one was still working fine as it should...But now I'm getting noises coming from what sounds like the rear suspension.. A creeky groaning sound..Any Ideas ... Kinda at loss and hoping I'm not in for a Big Surprise as we've already dropped enough coin for parts & labor replacing the latterel links...Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Enjoy Your Day / Do It Safely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 01:45 PM

It really depends, Struts maybe but not certain. The suspension on these are troublesome IMO.

I have knocks and clucks at very low speeds (pulling out a rough driveway or laneway ) which is uneven. I looked and checked what I could doing another oil change a short while ago and my motor mounts look ok (bolt rubber not bottomed out). I just jacked both from wheels and check the A-arms paying attention to the ball joint and they appear tight. I rebuilt the passenger side last year. The clunkiing must be coming from somewhere else. Maybe further back although its not aways the same source location so maybe more items. I would suggest you jack each side of the rear and see if anything has play. Although you've had repairs done to it there the mechanic should have spotted the problem. A lot also depends on the year since the earlier years seem to just fall apart. Quality from historical feedback has been better in the newer models. But maybe mine has just caught up. LOL falling apart now. Also my new tires have considerable cupping and the wheels have NO camber adjustment buy design. Aftermarket bolts are required on the front struts to give you adjustable camber. This thing is horrible to drive. Its extremely noisy even moving slowly down the street and howels going down the highway. Its driving me nuts. I am usually driving the old GC but when my wife and I go away we take this usually. I am going to have to put it up on a hoist to find out whats going on if I can detect what is knocking and get the alignment problem fixed.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
It really depends, Struts maybe but not certain. The suspension on these are troublesome IMO.

I have knocks and clucks at very low speeds (pulling out a rough driveway or laneway ) which is uneven. I looked and checked what I could doing another oil change a short while ago and my motor mounts look ok (bolt rubber not bottomed out). I just jacked both from wheels and check the A-arms paying attention to the ball joint and they appear tight. I rebuilt the passenger side last year. The clunkiing must be coming from somewhere else. Maybe further back although its not aways the same source location so maybe more items. I would suggest you jack each side of the rear and see if anything has play. Although you've had repairs done to it there the mechanic should have spotted the problem. A lot also depends on the year since the earlier years seem to just fall apart. Quality from historical feedback has been better in the newer models. But maybe mine has just caught up. LOL falling apart now. Also my new tires have considerable cupping and the wheels have NO camber adjustment buy design. Aftermarket bolts are required on the front struts to give you adjustable camber. This thing is horrible to drive. Its extremely noisy even moving slowly down the street and howels going down the highway. Its driving me nuts. I am usually driving the old GC but when my wife and I go away we take this usually. I am going to have to put it up on a hoist to find out whats going on if I can detect what is knocking and get the alignment problem fixed.

I Retired after Driving Bus for 33yrs in Public Transit so I'm conditioned to all the Creeks & Groans..I've told the Wife the poor quality of Insulation to soften the Sound of the Road, Suspension & Tire Noise doesn't help ...And like Age things aren't like they used to be off the Showroom Floor.. When I had some Front End work done last year the Replacement Parts came with Grease Fittings, Amen to that...This Sealed Unit , Greaseless Idea Sucks... btw I had new Strut Mounts installed back in March , with this latest expense I'm at what the Industry Average is for Routine Maintenance and Upkeep beyond your regular Oil Changes Per Year..LOL......

Last edited by ConcFour; 05-21-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 08:42 PM

Automatic?

Anyway I figured out where my knocking is coming from. I am a lot ticked off at it as well. Its a known problem. I had the front struts replaced under warranty and there was a TSB that the top bushing etc had a fault that could case knocking etc. I pointed out to the Service rep that they should be changed. He said they're not a problem or failed and only the struts so we are just changing the struts.

Yeah now they're the problem. The spring is moving around knocking about in there. I hate dealing with dealer and car companies. Any excuse not to do something and/or not do it right. If I am right the springs have to come back out of the strut to replace the bushings. Dammm

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #5 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 01:15 PM

Garage
when does it do it? my compass will squeak from the rear, exactly like my friend's 09 patriot will do. we determined that we both use the parking brake, and that is the component making the noise. it does it when we enter or exit the vehicle.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
when does it do it? my compass will squeak from the rear, exactly like my friend's 09 patriot will do. we determined that we both use the parking brake, and that is the component making the noise. it does it when we enter or exit the vehicle.

I don't use my Emergency Brake as I've had costly experiences with the Parking Brake in previous vehicles...My problem seems to come with the weather, it's more noticeable at lower speeds and having to turn say through an intersection or tighter than a curve...As I've said in previous posts I'm part immune to creeks & groans ..But having spent a bit of coin so far on the Car this year the Wife is Questioning the Why & Wherefore of it all..And the Mechanic as well...LOL....

post #7 of 12 Old 05-23-2013, 12:47 PM

It could also be the struts. Get someone the rock the vehicle if it makes it(most likely will) and while its doing it listen and locate it. That is what I did. First underneath driven up on ramps. But nothing there. The springs in my struts with knocking, I could feel the vibration when I reached over the tire and grabbed them and could feel it. A squeak might be harder. I suspect is that since getting in/out you of course are compressing the side of the suspension.

Good Luck on yours. As it turns out I have to RE & RE my struts and put new rubber jouce at least up top to fix this. I don't have a spring compressor (at least not yet). It really ticks me off since the parts in the TSB are about $10 when I looked at some parts sites include a MOPAR online site in the US but in Canada likely more. I complained to Chrysler (too bad though, there were ok when put back together) even though a known problem but mine just did not fail early enough to get replace with the failed strut. LOL

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 12 Old 06-12-2013, 12:56 PM

Well I pulled the struts and put the new parts in. However, once I had even the first one out and looked it over. There is no way they could cause the knock let alone prevent it. The new design of dust shield protects the shaft completely and wear of the piston seal would be eliminated since debris cannot get on it. The JOUNCE which is a rubber bumper of sorts just keeps the upper plate from bottoming out. This is extremely unlikely unless you drive through extreme pot holes or beating the Compass suspension really hard. I which case the vehicle would incur major damage and costly repairs. Its not heavy duty by a long shot.

What is causing it? Unknown at this time. I had a good look at the motor mounts and they appear fine. Using a prying bar would not cause any hitting. I need to get it onto a ramp on its wheels and have a friend rock it while being inspected underneath.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 04:13 PM

Ok, problem is Solved.

If you get knocking even moving slowly on uneven surfaces where the vehicle goes left to right especially. It sound ominous and really bad. It turns out my sway bar link failed. The drivers side upper knuckle had worn. Its surprising that its failed so soon. It basically holds the sway bar to the strut body and very little movement when in use. Yet it failed. Clearly very poor quality components still in the 2009 year builds. $40 for a new Mevotech on and I installed it myself. You need a 5mm allen to hold the centre of the stud from turning and 15mm wrench to for the nut. The replacement used a 14mm nut and looked like it might be stainless steel stud.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 12 Old 09-14-2013, 03:24 AM

OK Has anyone owned a Jeep product which did not squeak? I don't understand why it has become a brand issue. Anyone know any Jeep engineers?? Sarcasm aside, I'm really curious why.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-14-2013, 12:49 PM

You need a Fiat Engineer since is built on the design of the Calibre. Then they used that powertrain and created a Patriot and Compass Cover with the same vehicle. No other difference.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #12 of 12 Old 09-16-2013, 01:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
You need a Fiat Engineer since is built on the design of the Calibre. Then they used that powertrain and created a Patriot and Compass Cover with the same vehicle. No other difference.
fiat had nothing to do with the design of the MK platform.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in