Help I've had enough! - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 06-01-2013, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Help I've had enough!

Sorry I'm really just at my wits end here. So I thought I would try here and see if anyone had an idea what in the world the issue is since the dealer seems to not want to correct the issue. Let's start at the beginning.

I bought a 2005 Jeep Compass 2wd in march of this year. Fairly low mileage for the year 59k. I drove it for 2 weeks. Then I started hearing this crunching like metal on metal noise from the rear...and even from the front but not near as loud as the rear. So I called them. Now don't get me wrong they've been extremely nice through this whole ordeal. I took it in. They said ohhh well it's bad brake drums and pads. They replaced it (of course they had to order it first and I had to take it back to have it replaced). I pull out of the lot get 1/2 a mile down the road and hear it again. I immediately called them. Take it back in to them 2 days later.

Ok now it's the shocks. They said that the bushings and the shocks were rubbing and that the shocks were good and the bushings were good but they would replace them (this was after i said I don't care if they are good that noise is bad!). They order and another visit they replace. That night after I replace them on my way home I hear a knocking...like someone at my front door from the back.

Ok take it back in. They hear nothing. Spend all day with it and nothing. So when i go to pick it up I make them ride with me. Ohhh they hear it now. Bring it back next week when we have an appt. available.

Next week when I take it back it's the brake drums. What? We just replaced those. Well sometimes it's the luck of the draw and we must have gotten warped drums. Ok who did you order them from? Chrysler. And both were bad? Yes. Hmmm. Something is wrong here. Talk to the manager. Well they actually came from advanced auto and they are both warped and the last time your shocks were leaking. Leaking? Wait that's not what I was told. Yes leaking. We'll put you in a rental till your vehicle is fixed. 5 days later I get it back. On the way home I hear the crunching noise again.

I've had it. I take it to a mechanic that isn't at the dealer just to diagnose the problem. He spends over an hour (charges me nothing which blew me away) and tells me there are 14 bushings in the rear and one or more is bad but even if I fix it the others will go bad and the ones fixed won't stay fixed so I may as well leave it alone. So I'm paying for a car that crunches? Wait a minute here. I call the dealer. Tell them what I've found. I'm sick to my stomach with this car and the payments I'm making when it's spent more time in the shop than driven. They tell me they will help me out and get me into something else. Great.

Get there the next day. Find a nice vehicle about the same price only to be told by the dealership owner well there is nothing wrong with the Compass. Huh? They greased the bushings since I was concerned. They told me all cars have bushings...(I'm not 16 come on now) and all cars make noise that are that old. I traded in a 2001 Ford Escape with 140k on it. It didn't make this noise and it was run to death! They run all over with it that day and run out my gas testing it. I spend the whole day there to leave and on the way home...guess what...it crunches. Well I am sick of taking it in. I've kept my mouth shut for 2 weeks. Yesterday what do I hear? Not only the original crunching...but the knocking that made them replace the brake drums twice. I have an appt for the 12th.

Please tell me someone hear knows what these noises are. It's driving me crazy and I truly just want to chuck the car over a cliff. I live on top of a steep mountain and if I am going to have brake issues I can't safely drive this vehicle for my own health or my child. I'm hoping one of you has had this issue. I've been told every single time that "oh it's safe" but how safe is it really if the brake drums are warped?

I'm sorry it's so long but I'm at my limit and I truly do appreciate any of your advice.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-01-2013, 09:11 PM

Garage
Wow, sorry to hear that. Do these noises occur when you brake? Or when you drive over rough road? How is the tire wear?
post #3 of 9 Old 06-01-2013, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Well the tire wear isn't bad basically because I haven't really driven it anywhere lol. The crunching noise is especially bad going down my hill (steep decline) that is fairly rough so I go slow. The knocking noise is when the brakes are applied going about 30 mph or more. Slower than that and it doesn't seem to make it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-02-2013, 07:14 AM

Garage
Check theses videos out, good info on suspension noises:

Finding and Repairing Rear End Noise Honda Element/CRV -EricTheCarGuy - YouTube

How To Find Suspension Noises 101 - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube

As for the clunk noise from the brakes, try driving in reverse and making a few complete stops. That will force the rear drum brakes to self adjust if they were a bit on the loose end. I seen a few make clucking noises because they were a bit loose.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-02-2013, 12:19 PM

I have never heard not thought the Compass was out until 2007 being the first year. Whatever your configuration is its different on what others are driving.

With all the work and repairs its difficult to guess what is causing it. We must assume the parts were installed correctly so for knocking to occur. A mount somewhere is broken maybe causing it. Strut issue (why you'd have shock or how it has to be some other vehicle!!)

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-03-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk2gether View Post
Sorry I'm really just at my wits end here. So I thought I would try here and see if anyone had an idea what in the world the issue is since the dealer seems to not want to correct the issue. Let's start at the beginning.

I bought a 2005 Jeep Compass 2wd in march of this year. Fairly low mileage for the year 59k. I drove it for 2 weeks. Then I started hearing this crunching like metal on metal noise from the rear...and even from the front but not near as loud as the rear. So I called them. Now don't get me wrong they've been extremely nice through this whole ordeal. I took it in. They said ohhh well it's bad brake drums and pads. They replaced it (of course they had to order it first and I had to take it back to have it replaced). I pull out of the lot get 1/2 a mile down the road and hear it again. I immediately called them. Take it back in to them 2 days later.

Ok now it's the shocks. They said that the bushings and the shocks were rubbing and that the shocks were good and the bushings were good but they would replace them (this was after i said I don't care if they are good that noise is bad!). They order and another visit they replace. That night after I replace them on my way home I hear a knocking...like someone at my front door from the back.

Ok take it back in. They hear nothing. Spend all day with it and nothing. So when i go to pick it up I make them ride with me. Ohhh they hear it now. Bring it back next week when we have an appt. available.

Next week when I take it back it's the brake drums. What? We just replaced those. Well sometimes it's the luck of the draw and we must have gotten warped drums. Ok who did you order them from? Chrysler. And both were bad? Yes. Hmmm. Something is wrong here. Talk to the manager. Well they actually came from advanced auto and they are both warped and the last time your shocks were leaking. Leaking? Wait that's not what I was told. Yes leaking. We'll put you in a rental till your vehicle is fixed. 5 days later I get it back. On the way home I hear the crunching noise again.

I've had it. I take it to a mechanic that isn't at the dealer just to diagnose the problem. He spends over an hour (charges me nothing which blew me away) and tells me there are 14 bushings in the rear and one or more is bad but even if I fix it the others will go bad and the ones fixed won't stay fixed so I may as well leave it alone. So I'm paying for a car that crunches? Wait a minute here. I call the dealer. Tell them what I've found. I'm sick to my stomach with this car and the payments I'm making when it's spent more time in the shop than driven. They tell me they will help me out and get me into something else. Great.

Get there the next day. Find a nice vehicle about the same price only to be told by the dealership owner well there is nothing wrong with the Compass. Huh? They greased the bushings since I was concerned. They told me all cars have bushings...(I'm not 16 come on now) and all cars make noise that are that old. I traded in a 2001 Ford Escape with 140k on it. It didn't make this noise and it was run to death! They run all over with it that day and run out my gas testing it. I spend the whole day there to leave and on the way home...guess what...it crunches. Well I am sick of taking it in. I've kept my mouth shut for 2 weeks. Yesterday what do I hear? Not only the original crunching...but the knocking that made them replace the brake drums twice. I have an appt for the 12th.

Please tell me someone hear knows what these noises are. It's driving me crazy and I truly just want to chuck the car over a cliff. I live on top of a steep mountain and if I am going to have brake issues I can't safely drive this vehicle for my own health or my child. I'm hoping one of you has had this issue. I've been told every single time that "oh it's safe" but how safe is it really if the brake drums are warped?

I'm sorry it's so long but I'm at my limit and I truly do appreciate any of your advice.

Thanks!
need to know the year of your car (no such thing as 2005) what trannie?and engine size. also model type would help
post #7 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Have you checked the wheels bearings?
post #8 of 9 Old 06-08-2013, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Ooops that was a mistype! I meant 2008. Supposedly the bearing were checked and this doesn't really sound like a bearing. I had to replace all of those in my last vehicle. This is a bit different. The trannie is one of those slap shift automatics it's 2wd. I'm thinking 2.0 for the motor. The sound is definitely coming from the back. Then last night...ta da!! Engine light is on! Ugh.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-09-2013, 01:01 AM

Garage
wits end

i agree with tyler. wheel bearings or possibly the exhaust is loose or a broken bracket somewhere

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in