ABS replaced - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tripplec

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 06-18-2013, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ABS replaced

5 days ago... the light of the ABS went off.... some meters later it went to normal back again....

well, next day when i was like 1km away from home all light related to brakes went off (abs, 4WD flashing, esp, everything). The car starts to move to the right preatty hard.... well i slowed dont, and took the car to the dealer (about 15km/hour.... it took like 20 minutes, because i have one very near).

After the revision of the dealer, they call me and told me the rear right abs sensor was broken and need replacement.

They replaced the sensor and all back to normal (so far?).

It cost me USD 180

My truck is about 100,000Kms.

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-18-2013, 03:44 PM

FYI

If you replace any front end Tie rods etc. You must verify that the steering wheel is level driving straight. If not you have to take it apart and thread the link in or out depending on which way its needs to go to center the steering wheel. There are no adjustments for this on the Compass unlike other vehicles.

If its off level enough. You ABS & EPS etc will be on and it will drive hard since the brakes etc are fighting to correct an induced out of control state. A false one but it does not know that.

There is a plastic clip which hold the sensor cable to the wheel casting where the struts bolt through. I have one where its snapped off. I believe it happened when the dealer replaced the defective struts. I was in yesterday and asked for the plastic clip. LOL it comes with the sensor cable assemble. I'll rig up something myself.
wojeda likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
multiple belt replaced

by the way...
i took the change and i asked the dealer to change the multiple belt (really i was quite scared doing it myself).

They replaced the belt (they told me that in fact there was some worn and needed replacement), also they replace 2 pulleys (they say they have some strange sound when rotating), and replace also the tensioning accessory that completes the change.

The cost was USD 325 total (belt, 2 pulleys, tensioning device, service).

I drove already 250 km from that day, and i can tell the sound of the motor is diferent above 3000rpm (before it has a sound that i coudnt identify). so it comes from that pulleys. It happened to me in a VW before with the pulley of the water pump.

Well, just for info.

For sure those prices seems high, because i look into ebay or mopar, and the spare parts are half price or less, but here in Peru-South America the dealers usually charges you double on spare parts, and the service is also expensive. That´s why i started doing myself the filter/spark plugs/oil change.

by the way, the dealer is always full, you have to make an appointment a week in advance..... Peru is selling about 25% new cars every year, that is happening for about 10 year..... the streets are crowded, highways full also... lots of cars... we need more parking lots.... there are some places that charges you USD 5.3/hour for a spot in a parking lot (wtf!!!) you better use a taxi...

now back to work....

cheers...

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 AM

Pulley bearing do go eventually but at very high millage typically. It is not something that happens anywhere near 100,000 though

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in