Replacing rear brake pads and rotors - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Replacing rear brake pads and rotors

Any help replacing rear brake pads is greatly appreciated. My wife has a 2008 Jeep Compass 4 x 4. I pulled one of the tires to check the pads and they need replacing. It looks like one side starting going metal to metal.

1) I looked at the calipers on the right side and see the caliber bolts. However, I can't get a socket or box wrench on the upper bolt because the break line is in the way. I can only get an open ended wrench on it. I am nervous of stripping it with an open ended wrench.

2) I read instructions about having to do something with the master cylinder. What would that be? Not sure why I would have to do anything as I don't plan on opening any of the brake lines

3) It appears a nut in the center of the rotor holds the rotor in. Are there any wheel bearings in there? How tight is that nut supposed to be?

Thanks for any help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 06:32 PM

Brakes

Yeah been there done that. They can't be removed. Doesn't this tell you how servicable this vehicle is. Everything is a pain to do.

Anyway, you leave that one alone and pivot the caliper assemble up and off the rotor. Replace the pad and drop it back down. I found one a bit tight on mine in that the hose was barely long enought to allow me to do it. You'd not want to being doing it in the winter time. I put ceramic pads in since the OEM ones scretch and wake the neighbours when cold and backing up in the morning.

Good luck.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:18 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 02:48 PM

Garage
Rear rotor size???

I just got off the phone with my auto parts store and they informed me there are two different sizes of rotors/pads for my 2012 limited. Being a limited i assumed i had the upgraded brakes, but upon inspection i have 10.3" rear rotors,as opposed to the 11.9" rotors. I guess my question is would i have to upgrade my caliper in order to opt for the larger size pads and rotors. and would this affect my plans to ad the tow package to my limited?
Old 08-16-2014, 11:47 AM

Check with your dealer. I have the same brakes on mine. No idea which vehicle Jeep ever put those bigger ones in in North America. In my opinion you can't or won't upgrade since the back plate, caliper mount and pretty much everything should all be different.
Hence the cost would be prohibitive. This sort of thing needs to be ordered as part of the build and I doubt there is a sales person who understands what build options are available for these vehicles or any for that matter. Brochures are pure marketing and finding specific spec's is near impossible.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:46 PM

Garage
I was currious to see if maybe the fdii's had the larger disc brakes. I ended up just replaceing wat I had. Painted calipers too..looks good through my rims
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1408225257408.jpg (53.7 KB, 16 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in