Replacing Rear Brakes - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By tripplec

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 07-16-2013, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Replacing Rear Brakes

I want to first thank Tripplec and Realtune for their replies. As a followup, how do the rear disc rotors come off? There appears to be a center bolt that comes off or are they secured another way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-16-2013, 06:01 PM

Normally no, that bolt is for the axle connection epecially if you have 4x4 version which I cannot tell without details not in your signature. The caliper may have to be disconnected to get that upper bolt out. But I'd have to look at it again. I know that is a problem in this design. Since doing so requires bleeding the air in the ABS systems which we would not want to do if there is another way.

Let see if Realtune has done his rotors or not.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-16-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it is a 4 x 4, 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-16-2013, 06:43 PM

Most rotors are not held on but the caliper must clear out of the way. I don't remember if it goes high enough. Let me see if I have something on that.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-16-2013, 06:54 PM

Brakes service

Ok there is no more than a stud clip retainer over one of the wheel studs.

PM me your email and I'll send you a Word doc on this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #6 of 8 Old 01-12-2014, 10:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgranel View Post
I want to first thank Tripplec and Realtune for their replies. As a followup, how do the rear disc rotors come off? There appears to be a center bolt that comes off or are they secured another way?
So what ended up happening?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-13-2014, 02:08 PM

Red face

There is nothing really holding them on. If you PM your email I can send a detailed Word doc I created for someone else with images from my electronic manual.

The rotor has a stud clip if its not been removed before keeping it in place. Other than that the caliper bolt (only one but typically the lower one) is removed allowing it to be swung up and out of the way to allow the rotor to clear the casting and slides off.

See the attached images which should clarify thing a bit and notes within.

NOTE: I highly recommend using Ceramic rear pads NOT metallic ones. The backing up squeal when the brakes are cold does not take place with Ceramic pads and they also perform very well. Mine squealed from the beginning but Jeep would not warranty them as being a wear item with very limited warranty. They were happy to charge for a brake service to fix it but all you need its a set of good pads < $50 which takes less than an hour start to finish.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Rotor-1.gif (27.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Rotor-2.jpg (68.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Rotor-3.jpg (34.4 KB, 18 views)
trickyd7 and asakaze like this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 04-04-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Added NOTE
post #8 of 8 Old 04-04-2016, 12:21 PM

^Thanks for the useful info.
I'm thinking to upgrade rotors/pads both front and rear, definitely ceramic based. Anyways, sending you PM with my email if you're still around here.

Just out of curiosity, a question for everybody, what is your combo of choice on aftermarket disc breaks for MK49? Centric? Ferodo? Black Diamond?
I'm thinking EBC Extra Duty Orange Pads for 4x4 Jeep on GD Series rotors, as it's recommended on their website. Since I'll probably keep OE calipers, where do you get those nice looking colored caliper covers?? It's probably $400-450 upgrade PER axle but with anti-corrosive rotors and solid pads, it's investment for lifetime. And when it comes to breaks, performance and safety - it's never too sufficient.
Thanks for any inputs!
Jeep-Jeep
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brake-selector.jpg (105.2 KB, 7 views)

~Small Jeep with Big-Benz heart~
2014 Compass CRD 2.2 Limited, Tuned & Debadged
MB DOHC 16v I4 twin-turbo
@
;
@
;
235/55R17 @
8Jx17 ET35;
@

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in