Brake Light Relay Location - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 07-29-2013, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Brake Light Relay Location

Hey guys,

New user here, and I promise I used the search function first!

My gf's Compass has the issue where her brake lights aren't coming on and the car won't shift out of Park without moving the side lever underneath the cap on the right hand side of the console.

However...
Her car was broken into a couple years ago and the only item that was stolen was her Owner's Manual.

Can anyone tell me where the Brake Light Relay is located?

I've checked the #3 fuse and it's good

I'm really hoping replacing the relay solves my problem

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-29-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
Hey guys,

New user here, and I promise I used the search function first!

My gf's Compass has the issue where her brake lights aren't coming on and the car won't shift out of Park without moving the side lever underneath the cap on the right hand side of the console.

However...
Her car was broken into a couple years ago and the only item that was stolen was her Owner's Manual.

Can anyone tell me where the Brake Light Relay is located?

I've checked the #3 fuse and it's good

I'm really hoping replacing the relay solves my problem

Thanks in advance!
The Compass uses a TIPM which is the box above the battery area housing some fuses. It is programable and controlled by the computer. Every thing is solid state and if it goes you SOL becasue they're expensive. I don't have a schematic but I will check my crappy online manual and see if it mentions anything. Most likey its the brake switch which you appear not to have checked.

PS: Yes I was right the control module is in the TIPM. There is a good chance its the switch though get one at the dealer and read the note below I left. Its a one time install otherwise the switch is useless and you'll need another one.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 07-29-2013 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Added paragraph
post #3 of 3 Old 07-29-2013, 10:50 PM

See if this helps.

REMOVAL
WARNING: To avoid serious or fatal injury, on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the supplemental restraint system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, occupant classification system, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the supplemental restraint system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Locate the brake lamp switch (4) on the brake pedal support bracket (2) on the dash panel.
3. Disengage the wire harness retainer (1) from the brake pedal support bracket.
4. Disconnect the unibody wire harness take out and connector (5) from the brake lamp switch.

5. Rotate the brake lamp switch housing (3) clockwise about 30 degrees to align the tabs on the switch locking collar with the keyed hole in the brake pedal support bracket (1).
6. Pull the switch straight back from the keyed hole to remove it from the bracket.
CAUTION: The brake lamp switch self-adjusting switch plunger is a one time only feature. If the switch is removed from the mounting bracket, it MUST be replaced with a new switch.

7. Discard the removed brake lamp switch .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brakelight.jpg (128.7 KB, 8 views)

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 07-29-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in